Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recycling skis

Poster: A snowHead
I've found one firm in France that does it, based in Albertville. Apart from that it seems that old skis get incinerated or dumped in landfill... probably in Africa. That doesn't seem very good for the environment.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski recycling is the least of your concerns if you're worried about the environmental impact of your participation. I can't imagine there is a more environmentally damaging mass participation sport!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Csb123 wrote:
Ski recycling is the least of your concerns if you're worried about the environmental impact of your participation. I can't imagine there is a more environmentally damaging mass participation sport!

Golf? With the huge amounts of irrigation - particularly in deserts.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Be interesting to see some stat's ut its the travel to remote regions that's the killer for skiing. Right down to the heated lifts dropping us at the top of mountains.

Golf tends to be quite local.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On a per participant basis it might be a close thing. But globally I suspect golf does more damage since you can find golf courses everywhere.

But here’s an interesting water use comparison - a Palm Springs Golf course uses 800,000 gallons per day, Lake Tahoe ski area uses 400,000 per day.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/08/golf-pools-water-drought-california/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Csb123, not that local, people I know regularly fly abroad for golf holidays.

Clearly motorsport is the winner here, not only are there huge amounts of travel involved but also the sport itself.

But none of that is a reason to completely discount recycling or thinking environmentally. Yes I fly around the world to ski, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t recycle things.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Csb123 wrote:

Golf tends to be quite local.

Not in Scotland, it’s not. It’s a massive international tourism business, with loads of American and scandinavian visitors annually.

However I would be interested to see a comparison between the two sports, as both are very water intensive and have impact on biodiversity, as well as the travel and accommodation infrastructure.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about football for moving pure numbers of people about, in their own country and to others? Also monumental amount of money to achieve what?

Just the policing resources in this country to control a big football match is shameful.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought we were talking about public participation, not the professional side. Footy as a participant at grasroots is pretty efficient, 22 people on a grassed park. I guess golf also generates more regular attendance than seasonal and occasional skiing holidays.

Absolutely agree that efforts to be sustainable aren't mutually exclusive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great to hear there’s recycling davidof. I think every little helps and if it’s one small thing you can do to help then why not?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As to the original question, I'd guess it's difficult to separate the component materials. Doing so may in reality use more energy than making them in the first place.

You'd think that to incinerate would at least provide a heat source, but still emit undesirable elements during process.

The football analysis stands up in that you may have two professional teams competing in a stadium, but all of the supporter groups participate in resource use to see them. Therefore cannot be subtracted from environmental impact. Supporters may not be "participants" in the field game, but to ignore secondary elements is fallacy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Same for any spectator sport then.

How long do skis last (or take to become unfashionably obsolete)? Should be functionally useable for 20 weeks shouldn't they?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm planning on making a chair with my boards once I retire then. Going to be a while barring some serious accidents though.
I reckon ski shelves could be cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did wonder whether skis might make a good laminate flooring! That'd be pretty cool.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure, but I think you would go through a lot of cutting blades/discs to get the edges aligned
ski holidays
They resemble picket fencing slats in original form. Very Happy

Couple of arris rails, perhaps out of that recycled plastic they make fence post from, some big self drilling stainless screws to drive through into arris, and make up std form fencing panels.

They'd last longer than many fences Toofy Grin

You need a Hippy to start the enterprise along with a flamboyant community to make use of them.

Or, what about those screens alongside town road sections you get frequently in France, steel framework clad with skis.

No emissions in either route for materials.
snow report
Good idea. There must be a use in the mountains that would save transporting them. Avalanche fences?
ski holidays
Armchairs and benches in Hemel (?) made out old skis and and boards look very cool .

Even seen a rocking chair somewhere, rockers being a pair of skis bent upwards
ski holidays
Csb123 wrote:
Same for any spectator sport then.

How long do skis last (or take to become unfashionably obsolete)? Should be functionally useable for 20 weeks shouldn't they?

Mine are 8 years old, so they probably have around 40 weeks skiing on them, maybe a bit more, but I hit a rock before Christmas and blew an edge and they are not economical to fix.
ski holidays
A bar in our village.

And inside.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy