Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val thorens or tignes

Poster: A snowHead
I have some friends coming over from Oz. Am planning a trip 24th March. As the title says. Your views please. Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What standard of skiers are they? I'm not a big fan of Tignes, as it's not that easy to get around. You have to be happy on fairly steep blacks (that are often icy) or take lifts down.
It's a long time since I was in Val Thoren so can't really make a comparison.
In my view, Les Arcs beats them both, especially if you stay in the Peisey Vallandry area so you've got good access to both sides of the Vanoise Express.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't speak about Val Tho, this EOSB will be my first time there. But I've been to EK twice and it was amazing. April and December, both times in Tignes Le Lac. Big enough, high enough, tough enough and fun. Late march will still be great. Next time I plan to stay in La Daille/Val Claret close to the gondolas, the long reds were much more interesting.
From the EoSB posts here I understand you've been to VT before. Never to Tignes?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have been to both. Both have altitude, more pistes than you can ski in a week, glaciers, enough slopes to suit any level and are as snow sure as you can get on the 24th of March . If I had a choice between them and any other resort (exception of Les Arc/ La Plagne ) I would choose them. There is very little to choose between them. If you choose Tignes I would suggest staying in Val Claret as having the best ski-in ski out options. After that its down to the deal on accommodation which would make me choose one over the other. If you love one you will love the other.The best advice is do one this year and next year do the other.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
What standard of skiers are they? I'm not a big fan of Tignes, as it's not that easy to get around. You have to be happy on fairly steep blacks (that are often icy) or take lifts down.
In my view, Les Arcs beats them both, especially if you stay in the Peisey Vallandry area so you've got good access to both sides of the Vanoise Express.

Were you actually in Tignes? The only black into resort is Trolles, apart from that the runs to the other resorts have plenty other options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GreenDay wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Were you actually in Tignes? The only black into resort is Trolles, apart from that the runs to the other resorts have plenty other options.

Yep, spent 3 weeks there. As I recall, there aren't many alternatives to Face in Val d'Isere (especially as Santon often closed) so often need a lift down there as well. I've still not figured out why on piste skiers love the place so much.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sugarmoma666, So you were in Val D?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GreenDay wrote:
@sugarmoma666, So you were in Val D?

All 3 times I stayed in Tignes le Lac, but skied across the whole area. I think the whole area's reputation is built on the off piste opportunities, but there are many far better resorts for on piste skiers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sugarmoma666, There are not many better resorts for piste skiing than Tignes, and that is perhaps its drawback - it can get quite crowded.

Back to the original question. I think Tignes is better than Val Thorens. There is perhaps a greater variety of skiing but here is not much in it. My ranking of the big Tarrentaise resorts is something like this:

1/ Tignes
2/ Les Arcs
3/ Les Menuires
4/ Val Thorens
5/ Val d'Isere
6/ Courchevel
7/ La Plagne
8/ Meribel

But tomorrow I would probably change my mind
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers for replies. I think they are reasonable. They have been skiing in NZ a few times so should be use to ice. Always in tignes in Jan but never in match. Val I know to be great late. Suppose pretty similar. Probably down to price,
Cheers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sugarmoma666, Out of curiousity -where would you rate as better than Tignes for on piste skiing?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, Good ranking- I agree with your choices.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For me it's Les Arcs then Val d'Isere. Tignes come afterwards. But I mostly enjoy reds and the only area Tignes had plenty of them was towards Grande Motte. Which was closed this Dec. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me:

1. Val D'Isere (due to feeling like a proper town)
2. Tignes (better value than Val D'Isere)
3. Les Arcs
4. Meribel Mottaret (due it's height and location at the centre of the 3V)
5. Courchevel 1850
6. Val Thorens
7. Les Menuires
8 La Plagnes (I'm probably biased, as the last 2 times I was there, the general standard of skiing was terrible and dangerous - so haven't been back in many years).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GarryC wrote:
@sugarmoma666, Out of curiousity -where would you rate as better than Tignes for on piste skiing?

Les Arcs, Serre Chevalier, Davos, Skiwelt, Ski Juwel, Madonna di Campiglio, etc. .... Whilst there are some nice pistes in Tignes, the linkages aren't that good. For e.g. 3 lifts for an intermediate to get from Val Claret to Le Lac (one of which is slow and old). Several of the links involve poling/walking.
ski holidays
Correct.
Always stayed in Tignes le Lac. I discovered that the best way to return from Val Claret in the afternoon is by bus after a good meal at Taverne de Neige at the end of the day.
I enjoyed starting with Pallafour in the morning then switching to the other side and returning around 16:30
latest report
Or do Tuffs lift then Combe Folle or Crocus. If you aren't up for Trolles (should be no problem for an intermediate) then take the Blue zigzag cat track that is cut alongside it.
snow conditions
@bar shaker, Trolles was perfect in the morning/lunch time. In the afternoon it was less friendly, there is a narrow middle section which was way too crowded with stationary skiers/boarders. Last part was fun. I enjoyed Val d'Isere's pistes and interconnections much more
latest report
They are both ugly places to stay and more ugly than their neighbouring resorts. The beauty of them is the sheer miles of skiing you can get in, in a day. As someone said further up, stay in Val Claret if you are in Tignes as we've found Le Lac and some of the other parts pretty dead at night, even at UK half term. On balance if I had to choose I prefer the skiing in the 3V - it's where I learned to ski so I have a soft spot for it. But there's only a fag paper between them for me...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy