Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fat lad with burning quads

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Maybe posture is the problem. I found the drills outlined in this article helped me loads.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/advice/Ski-fitness-how-to-get-fit-for-the-slopes/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kaiserpc, don't push your shins into your boots, that is too far forward!!

Based on what you say about your fitness it's defo technique I'd suggest. Do you have any video of you skiing at all??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Burning thighs, legs, ankles, feet, soles and tiredness are all classic early signs of artery and heart disease or lung disease or diabetes.

OP is 30kg overweight and needs to shed the pounds.

Get a checkup with the doc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it only happens when you are skiing it is unlikely that it's medical.

If it happens when you walk up the hill as well definitely get a medical. If you never walk up a hill also get a medical.

Loose 30kg either way would be my advice.

A doctor.

PS My bet is your weight is too far back and it's all about learning to stack your weight / not bend your knees too much.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's worth reiterating that burning quads can happen regardless of weight. If my weight gets even a smidgeon too far back my quads hurt. And I'm not overweight. A skier with good technique could carry on all day with no problem at all, despite being considerably overweight (though other aspects of their health will suffer). But yes, if your weight is not only too far back but also greater than it should be, you'll hurt more. Strength also comes into equation. Strong quads will help overcome poor technique to some extent (and get stronger in the process, I guess). Stong quads + good technique + the optimum weight = the best outcome! But two out of three aint bad.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
check pelvis is sitting in correct position by a physio. if pelvis is tilted forward then you will struggle to improve your skiing, you may go into the backseat and this may put excess pressure on your quads. best to get a full body alignment done by a physio that is a good skier. also do check your shoulders that they sit even, there is no shortness pulling one shoulder forward and check no winging on shoulder blades. good luck
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All this talk on the internet is probably worth about 1% of the benefit from doing something like the inside out clinics. Even better if they have a backseat focused session, I did this about 5 years ago now and frankly it transformed how I coped with this. It didn't eradicate the bad habit, practice did that, but it got the correct balance there and gave me simple stuff to fix it while I'm skiing.

I'll bet the description of it not being such an issue on steeper stuff is because you concentrate and you get your weight forward more to get your turns in. On the flatter stuff you relax and lean back more, then the burn kicks in, then you try and give your legs a break by relaxing but then leaning back as you relax.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PaddyM, lots of good advice already, mostly about skiing technique.

As you say, seeing your skiing stance and movements on video playback can help. Instructors use a lot for analysis and feedback. Need to be decent quality to be useful. Someone good enough to ski alongside you, keeping your turns in shot and not too shaky, then knowledge to explain what’s going on.

One thing I don’t think mentioned yet is prep and debrief (cue naked pole dancing in apres bar tales) wink

Give those muscles an idea of what’s ahead with warm up stretches for each of the main ones about to take a pounding. Give them a treat and say thanks for a hard days work. A shirt warm down first. Soak them in the bath, or dangle in an alpine lake.

Consciously try to relax when skiing, especially when pushing yourself on more challenging slopes. Breathing techniques can help. 3 swift gluhweins similar but bigger price tag.

After all, you’re an athlete, so copy a bit of what they do.
snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PaddyM, I meant to add.
Just because you notice the quad burn more when skiing less steep blue runs, doesn’t necessarily mean that’s where the main causes of the burn are occurring.

Usually a delay between the exercise causing the burn and noticing the symptoms. Also cumulative build up of strain on muscles during the day. Also cumulative after consecutive days of skiing during a typical ski trip.

If you skied,say, a half day of solid blue runs only, I wonder how much quad burn you’d have?
snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy