Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hains for Allemont to vaujany?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello peops...anyone had to use chains in mid Feb to get from 800ish meters in allemont up to vaujany at 1400ish meters?....and is parking likely to be an issue at vaujany station round mid term?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done that drive in pretty snowy conditions and it is quite steep and narrow in places. Chains and/or proper winter tyres recommended

There is quite a lot of parking in and around Vaujany. If you want to park right outside your accommodation or by the lift, it might be tricky but there is a good sized car park below the lift station
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arno, thanks Arno. We are staying in allemont so will have to drive up to lift each morn...cant be arsed lugging skiis onto navette
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
I have done that drive in pretty snowy conditions and it is quite steep and narrow in places. Chains and/or proper winter tyres recommended

There is quite a lot of parking in and around Vaujany. If you want to park right outside your accommodation or by the lift, it might be tricky but there is a good sized car park below the lift station

Yes there is the traffic light controlled one way bit between some houses ? You don't want to be stuck in there when the downhill light changes to green.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suppose you have the fallback of the navette if you don't buy chains. It is not entirely impossible that you would need chains to get to Allemont in February.

Wouldn't Oz be an easier drive?

At the moment I'm driving on snow all the time above 1000 meters and I couldn't do that without winter tires but the ski resort roads do tend to be kept pretty clear. As Arno says, Vaujany is just the place you might have trouble accessing without chains.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Harvamnia wrote:
@Arno, thanks Arno. We are staying in allemont so will have to drive up to lift each morn...cant be arsed lugging skiis onto navette

Depends if your accommodation is not too far from a bus stop. I seem to remember it has the box on the back for skis, but not sure. Bus gets you to OZ station so not sure if that helps in terms of morning lift queues compared with Vaujany.
We used to drive up to Villard Reculas from Allemont, which was much quieter in the morning. (Nearly got caught one night though when I mis timed getting back to the Signal lift in Alpe d'Huez before it closed Embarassed Fortunately it was night skiing evening so it re-opened an hour later and I had a nice peaceful, moonlit descent back to Villard Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you have winter tyres, @Harvamnia? It is a myth that roads are kept clear of snow. Small roads often have snow/ice on them for days despite being ploughed, when it is too cold for much, if any, melting. Ploughs don't scrape it all off.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last time I stayed in Allemont there was loads of snow and I used the bus precisely because I couldn’t face doing the drive myself

The road up to Oz is better but I have done it plenty of times where not having winter equipment would have made it “emotional”
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We did not need to use chains the year we stayed in Allememont over the Xmas hols and into early Jan, but I would not have liked to have been caught in poor conditions without them!

I seem to remember a nice leisure centre/pool somewhere near the bottom of the lifts?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CaravanSkier wrote:
We did not need to use chains the year we stayed in Allememont over the Xmas hols and into early Jan, but I would not have liked to have been caught in poor conditions without them!

I seem to remember a nice leisure centre/pool somewhere near the bottom of the lifts?

That would have been in Vaujany. There is only an outdoor pool in Allemont and I know you guys are tough Laughing but it's closed in the winter.

Edit there is a pool in OZ too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks folks...I have chains...just scoping the options. Thanks. Bus might be option if the parking is an issue during the mid term crowds.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Harvamnia wrote:
Thanks folks...I have chains...just scoping the options. Thanks. Bus might be option if the parking is an issue during the mid term crowds.

I have parked in Vaujany at half-term as well, does get busy and you might have to park on the lower road, nearer the pool, and get the lift up to the cable car (for OZ and Alpe d'Huez) or bubbles (for montfrais). Unless you have a reason to be in Vaujany I would try Villard Reculas one day, big car park and take a short lift up to the chairlift to Alpe d'Huez. Ski back to the car. Longer drive, but easier.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skitow wrote:
CaravanSkier wrote:

That would have been in Vaujany. There is only an outdoor pool in Allemont and I know you guys are tough Laughing but it's closed in the winter.

Edit there is a pool in OZ too.

Shocked Laughing my bad, although I don`t remember any lifts in Allemont? Laughing And I have been known to swim in very cold water, surrounded by snow, fair few years back though Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No, no lifts in Allemont. Although I believe there were once, when winters were winters and all that, and there is the plan for the lift to OZ, about which much has already been written Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy