Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off-piste - insurance providers

Poster: A snowHead
@ChrisWo, I've not used it before so just trying to understand it myself. What you say seems correct after reading the PDF.

For Europe I'm tempted but I'm concerned that the medical could be a little light for north America.

@Hells Bells, SCGB does seem good value. Significantly so which is a little bit of a worry. Still, they explicitly cover ski touring in the small print so it should be ok...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AndAnotherThing.., agreed that their policy wording looks ok wrt off piste/backcountry. I was a bit alarmed when they started talking about off piste being with the resort boundary (which is a silly distinction), but then they just define beyond the boundary as backcountry and then cover both, I think, so a moot point (I was looking at gold cover, maybe silver is different).

Just for comparison with stuff I wrote above, worldwide multi-trip (gold) with SCGB came to £310 for a couple. Though it does only cover 24 days of skiing (probably enough for me Crying or Very sad ), and you have to be UK/Eire based.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ERV look another good option, and will probably be my choice for the coming renewal.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MPI have confirmed that we can no longer remove our cancellation cover. As we don't need it and policy is now so expensive, we won't be renewing. They have changed their underwriter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a bad experience with SCGB last year - their insurance only covers delays TO the resort, not on the way home. We got hit with bad weather and delays in St Anton in Jan last year. Their policy wasn't great when you are forced to spend the night in Zurich airport where the only accomodation is a c 300CHF a night.

I think it covers all activities though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.dogtag.co.uk/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, I had to remind David that we do need cancellation now as we are no longer going to our own place!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@esaw1, more details please!

Have had SCGB for years as effectively costs me <£30 a year for all Europe travel not just skiing. 45 days winter sports so not too concerned if that includes travel days or not as sadly I can't manage that many weeks a season.

Just looked at my policy and I'm covered for this: Ski Boarding, Ski Dooing, Ski/Board Randonee, Ski/Snow Biking, Ski/Snow Blading, Skiing/Snowboarding, Skiing/Boarding - Off Piste With or Without a Guide, Skiing/Boarding - Backcountry, Skiing/Boarding – Heliskiing, Skiing/Boarding - Touring, Skiing/Boarding – Mono

Which covers everything I am personally likely to do? Not covered for the below but can be with additional premium: Snow Kiting, Skiing/Boarding – Freestyle, Ski Acrobatics, Ski Jumping, Ski Racing Amateur (amateur ski or snowboard racing can be covered but there is no cover if you are racing for money/sponsorship or FIS points), Ski Stunting, Skiing/Boarding – Para

I can see why the freestyle bit could cause issues but it isn't something I enjoy and it is possible to get cover for it under the policy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pamski wrote:
@Hells Bells, I had to remind David that we do need cancellation now as we are no longer going to our own place!

We already have it with another policy through the bank if we need it, and I would just rely on this and upgrade it to include winter sports, but it doesn't cover off-piste without a guide, and there is always the possibility that J will go off with friends, not even anywhere wild or dangerous, but definitely off-piste.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The problem with many of these companies is that once you actually start reading the policy documents and supporting information you start to find ambiguities, contradictions or omissions.

It's not really a surprise given the way they attempt to tie everything down to the nth degree, but if you are buying insurance for the worse case, it's not exactly reassuring. Too much potential wriggle room when there is a lot of money at stake.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AndAnotherThing.., which is why I've stayed with MPI for a few years. They answered all my questions, and even answered some I put to them on behalf of the forum. It's just too big an increase this time round.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scroll down to the Skiing section: https://boughtbymany.com/news/article/top-10-travel-insurance/

and https://boughtbymany.com/news/article/insurance-cover-for-off-piste-skiing/

and https://boughtbymany.com/news/article/insurers-off-piste-skiing/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shame about the MPI price increases. I hope they're still (vaguely) reasonable when I come to needing them next year. I really don't want to be priced out of the only insurer I actually trust.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jjams82, i hope so too. I still haven't ruled them out, but will probably upgrade the Nationwide cover, and make J get insurance with ski pass.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tjgadd18 wrote:
Had a bad experience with SCGB last year - their insurance only covers delays TO the resort, not on the way home. We got hit with bad weather and delays in St Anton in Jan last year. Their policy wasn't great when you are forced to spend the night in Zurich airport where the only accomodation is a c 300CHF a night.

I think it covers all activities though.

That should be sorted now, article in print version of Telegraph a few weeks ago said there was improved compensation for delays/missed flights to & from resort.
latest report
I'm with MPI (annual policy) and have just had an email saying the cost of cover will increase and could increase a lot, if the UK leaves with no deal.

Their cover is excellent and includes off piste without a guide..
latest report
Ski insurance for off piste back country skiing.

Mine covers off piste (within local ski patrol guidelines) but
'excludes' (outside local ski patrol guidelines / outside recognised and authorised areas).
- Is back country outside recognised and authorised areas since they are open to paid customers?

I researched companies according to SHs. Results:
1. JustTravel £10.64 covers back country. Call is recorded.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3368947&highlight=piste+insurance#3368947

2. BMC - covers £71
3. Dog Tag - covers £75
4. SCGB - quote £36. Page 10 says off piste does NOT covered back country...was surprised!
5. MPI - unclear, no reply to email

Does anyone know which ski insurance does Admin. have?
Then that is the one we should buy. Blush

(ins. info. also on Serre Chevalier off piste trip:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3371838#3371838)
snow report
@Bunny Rocket, pretty sure MPI does cover back country.
snow conditions
I've done the AAC membership for this trip. We already have holiday insurance which will take care of anything that would happen off the mountain.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells,

They cover off piste but it's unclear to me whether it covers back country or not as there is no off piste definition. Off piste can mean IN resort on ungroomed trails or back country.

MPI's policy wording: Page 2
(Off Piste Skiing/Snowboarding.
Many policies either exclude this or limit skiing ‘off piste’ to be with a guide. It is our view that this is impractical as one can ski ‘off piste’ unwittingly and in certain circumstances it is possible to ski on a ‘pisted’ run which is designated ‘off piste’.
It is due to this type of confusion that we at MPI Brokers have negotiated with underwriters that there is no such exclusion or limitation in this policy. There is, how ever, a general requirement, common to all insurance, to behave in a sensible manner.)

https://www.mpibrokers.com/travel-insurance-products/ski-snowboard/

I hope yours does.
I am still confused... Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

They cover off piste but it's unclear to me whether it covers back country or not as there is no off piste definition. Off piste can mean IN resort on ungroomed trails or back country.

I don't think it means either to the exclusion of the other and I have seen nothing to suggest it does.
Both activities are clearly part of what is normally considered as off piste skiing.
snow report
T Bar wrote:

I don't think it means either to the exclusion of the other and I have seen nothing to suggest it does.
Both activities are clearly part of what is normally considered as off piste skiing.

This - I think the MPI policy is reasonably unambiguous...they say they recognise that it's difficult to tell so they don't put any restrictions on you. As part of all insurance policies you have a general obligation to behave with due regard to your safety, but there's no restriction on you other than that.

Bunny Rocket wrote:
Is back country outside recognised and authorised areas since they are open to paid customers?

It's not perfectly clear from the wording, but yes it will be. I'd be pretty sure that within "recognised and authorised areas" is trying to say something like "within the ski area boundary", so backcountry would very much count as outside of this.
snow conditions
I have it in writing from MPI that ski touring is included in their off piste cover. However ski mountaineering is not. Where one ends the the other begins is unclear.

My guess would be an outing where you expect to use of ropes, but who knows.
latest report
Bunny Rocket wrote:

That sounds like a US defintion to me, i.e. not related to European skiing where you are basically on piste, or not. I think MPI are deliberately not using (confusing and non-applicable) US terminolgy in their product description.

If you just want this for the SOPiB it seems like a moot point anyway, as you'll be with either a UIAGM guide or a full certified instructor, and so will meeting the "sensible" defintion. Well, assuming you don't do something totally daft like deliberately ignore the guide's instructions not to ski a certain slope.
snow report
Quote:

That sounds like a US defintion to me, i.e. not related to European skiing where you are basically on piste, or not. I think MPI are deliberately not using (confusing and non-applicable) US terminolgy in their product description.

Agreed.
latest report
Thanks all for the recommendation on MPI - sideshow_bob and I ended up using them for our January trip. I ended up having an accident off piste, resulting in a heli-vac, local (St Anton) private hospital assessment, 4 days in an Austrian hospital (though this part was under Austrian health care) and private medical ambulance back to the UK. All covered without argument with and fantastic communication and assistance in returning to the UK. Very highly recommended and well worth the slightly higher premium.
snow conditions
@AndAnotherThing.., Your about right. A ski Instructor with the European Mountain Safety caveat can take you ski touring anywhere that is "Non-Technical and Non-Glacial" i.e does not involve the planned use of ropes/harnesses, where as Ski Mountaineering is the preserve of an International Mountain Guide.
snow conditions
I found Dogtag very reasonable and they have different 'levels' of cover from in resort off piste through to full-on, way out of bounds, off piste without a guide. I used them when heliskiing in Canada.

Details Here
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone ever had to claim from https://www.sportscoverdirect.com?

I used them last year as their sports group 4 covers off piste (not alone or against local advice), as well as other sports like rock climbing.

Seemed ok, though I've never had to make any claim which is the ultimate test.
snow report
@Batman_123, I was the first to recommend them and after over 30 years skiing had to make a claim this season for the first time and it has all been handled well so far. Excellent communication and help from them and their policy options are very flexible if you want trip durations that aren’t typical.
snow report
I had a very slight blip on a recent claim with MPI, but on the whole they were great.
ski holidays
That decides it, MPI it is for me! Very Happy

jjams82 wrote:
I can't see myself going with anyone other than MPI after my experience with them after breaking myself last year... Add to that the experience of a friend a week later, same company, same great service (better even, as she needed a lot more doing), and that cements them in my mind as the go-to ski/board insurer.

Their definition of off piste is pretty much "whatever, whenever, wherever, with or without a guide" and it's covered in even the basic package.

I'm youngish and their basic package only cost £85 for the 17/18 season year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy