Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parking outside at -10C

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@johnE, I know, and believe me, I've spent hours searching, originally had a Renault Captur with winter tyres booked through Rentalcars.com, but from T1, we fly into T2, I couldn't find anything from T2 with winters, I was keen to avoid having to take a bus from T2 to T1 and wait in the que, from experience T2 is much quieter, so was very happy to get the deal we have got.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skitow wrote:
ChrisKernow wrote:
I filled up using the regular diesel at Super U just outside Chamonix just b4 xmas.

When it went cold i had aweful trouble with the car ..

I can only think they hadn't added the additive.

I popped some of the Wynns antigel in and problem solved, but very annoying at time as I was late on an airport run and the car in "limp" mode wasn't overly helpful.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WYNNS-ICE-PROOF-ANTI-FREEZE-ANTI-GEL-FOR-DIESEL-BIO-DIESEL-MOTORAMA-HULL/391490097546?hash=item5b26a0d18a:g:ZNQAAOxy3NBSjQOJ

You were lucky that it actually started because putting the additive in after the diesel has waxed up and the engine is not running generally does not help, as if the filter is blocked the fuel pumped up from the tank will simply return.

Yes, I know I was.

On the old volvo xc90 I drive out there it has a very sensitive fuel starvation sensor which puts the car in limp mode, thankfully before full blockage. You reset it by turning ignition off and on, but if still starved it goes into limp again, usually v quickly. So my guess is the additive then works its way through and helps the wax dissolve.

But a close call, but I had (obviously wrongly) assumed the diesel at Super U in Chamonix would have had the winter fuel. A friend suggested it was only the higher cost premium diesel that has it, but I'm sticking to the bog standard and the Wynns.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spoon wrote:

Cat litter in an old ski sock can reduce condensation in the car.

The perfect combo... used cat litter & a sweaty ski sock Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m just back from the Dolomites and we were at 2000m down to -19c at night
We had the addidtive and the car still broke. It was a real pain as the plan was to drive from in small resort to another each day in the Superski area

Top tip buy your additive from the car hire, get a receipt and get them to put it in.
We had an issue as they said we hadn’t put it in initially and would be liable for the damage.

The hire company told us every recovery service company was at max getting cars back to the airports that serve the Dolomites.
His advice switch to a petrol car.
But Italian petrol cars never come with winter tires....
We got a cab back last night and fingers crossed we will get reembursed.

My advice if you can possibly avoid hiring a car in Italy, even though they can see everyone is heading to the mountains, they literally can’t be @rsed to winterise them.

When I was talking about this to hotel we were staying at their response was - this is Italy what do you expect..!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't leave a window open Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@HugoC, what an absolute pain - sympathies. Hope it all works out OK in the end. The additive I carried round for years "just in case" only claimed to be good to -15.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, yes all good but the dollies are cold at the moment so anyone heading. There really need to be very explicit with the hire. Company
The worst of it was it was just the two of us on a treat weekend my wife, is happy to ski the same piste all day as long it’s in the sun with a good lunch along it. I like to travel and explore.
So when we got all of 1km from our hotel and the car died on a hair pin, going somewhere she didn’t even want to go, and it was a blue bird in San pellegrino. There was some reasonably robust words directed at me... but all is good now
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HugoC, all sounds a bummer and it seems you ended up in the proverbial doghouse!

Out of interest, who was the hire company?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fridge03,

No issue with petrol unless it drops below -50
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Fridge03,
The italian hire people said petrol is better
Which makes sense but I would do some more research
Or if you’re just driving there and back could you park the car lower down and collect ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mate just sent this to me - ten year old Toyota Landcruiser

So what a day !

Day 3 in Andermatt and as I was having my last ski before heading to Engelberg went to move the Landcruiser to load it up only to find it wouldn't start....turning over and occasionally trying to fire then I realised it was probably a fuel issue.

The hotel owner suggested I went for a ski to allow my diesel to un-freeze - 3rd night of -18 C in the village.

Unfortunately back in the village sun at 3pm it was still -8C and the old Beast still wasn't getting any fuel. The hotel adjoins a garage but the Swiss guy there was the opposite of all the super friendly locals I'd met.

We collectively managed to flatten both batteries by which time he'd finally been persuaded to dig out his recovery vehicle to pull me 30m to his workshop.

A 1940s Willy's Jeep with snowchains and a plough on the front.

By now it was still -10C inside but he got his heaters and battery boosters to work for 90 mins

So 50 Swiss francs later I was pensively on my way hoping the filters weren't going to wax up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a 1970’s air cooled VW camper in BC when I did a winter season there. Wasn’t too bad to get going when in Whistler but in Fernie it was a bit of a nightmare. Ended up having a 20m extension cord and a fan heater which we’d put on facing the engine for an hour each morning before we set off to the ski hill. Worked a dream. Everyone else was running block heaters which I didn’t get until we had a proper cold snap!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and one more thing...if you are lucky enough to have heavy snowfall during your stay PLEASE brush it off your car roof before heading down the mountain. This year we seem to be plagued even more than usual by wallies tooling around with layers of snow on their car roofs just waiting to slide off onto the windscreen of the poor bug behind them - or maybe they'll get lucky and wipe out a couple of pedestrians as they swing round the next corner - mind you their worn out summer tyres probably couldn't generate the g-forces required.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gvj, Quite! and a hell of a fine from the Gendarmerie if caught..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the old days we added 20% petrol to the diesel to stop it from gluuping.
I I still have a habit of accidentally filling diesel vans with petrol Shock
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy