Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parking outside at -10C

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve had the handbrake freeze on one wheel on a 2013 VW Golf last year. Some might call it old... Indoor parking didn’t help, presumaby as still freezing. I’ve resorted to leaving the handbrake off and in gear. So far so good.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fridge03, just diesel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Baby wet wipes left in the car overnight aren't much use for wiping bums the next day
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BergenBergen wrote:
@Frosty the Snowman, it's a rental car Puzzled

Ah that'll be OK then. The washer bottles don't freeze, the fuel doesn't wax, the batteries never go flat, and the doors don't freeze shut on those wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@Fridge03, just diesel

Ah ok cool. Hopefully they will give me a petrol then! But if not do most stations sell winter diesel? From what I've read, if I get some near the mountains it should be ok to -15/20? Or should I be looked for the premium diesel to be sure, like total excellium?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I just think as old farts we were driving cars in the old days that had an external cables that were liable to freeze

Well, my handbrake freeze was about 7 years ago - Fiat Multipla. Not exactly "the olden days". The mechanic knew instantly exactly what it was, and clearly thought I should have known better. He laughed at me, but when I went back to pick up the car he didn't charge me - said it hadn't taken long to sort out - so I forgave him.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine froze on at New Year, brand new Modeo. Some nice Cloggies helped me out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, so was my mates a Fiat Multipla I seem to recall, but one of the very first ones.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
BergenBergen wrote:
@Frosty the Snowman, it's a rental car Puzzled

Ah that'll be OK then. The washer bottles don't freeze, the fuel doesn't wax, the batteries never go flat, and the doors don't freeze shut on those wink
in that case I will upgrade my baggage allowance wink wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
musher wrote:
Mine froze on at New Year, brand new Modeo. Some nice Cloggies helped me out.
did they drive a taxi.....thought not.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Diesel only Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spoon wrote:

Cat litter in an old ski sock can reduce condensation in the car.

How old does the ski sock have to be Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dublin2 wrote:
Spoon wrote:

Old enough that you no longer use it Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Diesel only Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apparently it was -10 at Carrbridge last night, and -11 at Banchory.
snow report
Handbrake sticking is a bit of circuitous explanation now.

From the time they removed asbestos from brake materials the pads have had much more metal components within them. Unlike before, the pad and disc share the wear during usage due to the component set that works without asbestos.

The pads are also much more conductive, as such they have properties which appear on the galvanic scale at different point to the ferrous material in the disc. Now if you add electrolyte (salt in water solution) it activates the chemical reduction of the ferrous component. Basically it tries to electroplate the iron onto the pad. This results in the clamped pads effectively bonding to the disc, hence you being unable to release them. The longer they are left the more it'll stick ( until it exhausts the chemical reaction) but with a really good salty bathing they'll do that overnight. Categorised as galvanic corrosion.

When you move the car they'll have to break that bond, in cars with rear wheels not driven it may just drag the wheels without having enough torque to break it free.

After this happens, you can often see an imprint of the pad on the disc face where the surface had been etched. In severe cases after this the brakes may be a bit "lumpy" and it can even trigger ABS warnings if the system sees a variable signal from that wheel.

If you use them more harshly straight away then they'll usually clear off the surface and be ok but you'll still see a witness mark, looks a bit like a ring you'd get on a coffee table but in the shape of the pads. Very Happy
latest report
On the works minibus they are still drums on the back. When seized on stick a metal bar through the wheel against the drum and hit it with a lump hammer usually frees it.
ski holidays
Fridge03 wrote:
I was just thinking about winter fuel today. We are hiring a car from Lyon and driving up to La Tania next week.

Is it just diesel that can have this issue or does it effect petrol cars as well? Won't know what we get until we arrive next Saturday.

Neither will have any issues. I've driven both in and around the alps for (ahem) 25 years+ and left cars and vans outside in very cold temps and never had issues with fuel, batteries, hand brakes (but I always leave it off), door seals, locks. Fuel sold in the area (in fact, across Europe in my experience) is fine down to alpine temps.

If you get snow on a warm car you'll get ice on the windows by the next day, you'll want a decent scraper for that. A brush is very handy for clearing snow of the car, your equipment and your feet.
snow report
Are there no winter additives that you can buy here and add to a tank full? Something along the lines of those bottles of diesel injector cleaner you top up with?
ski holidays
google say: http://www.stp.eu/en/products/additives-for-diesel/diesel-winter-treatment

but the blurb doesn't say to what temperature it works to.
latest report
I have used this in the past when leaving a car outside for along time in the alps, never had a problem but whether that was down to the stuff or not, will never really know. There are others by Wynns, STP etc. and most french supermarkets sell them. Says it can make the diesel good down to -30, depending on the diesel.

https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/Product-categories/Diesel-additive-winter-diesel-treatment/31083009010304.cyid/3108.cgid/en/GB/GBP/?CatalogCategoryRef=31083009010304%40WuerthGroup-Wuerth-3108&CampaignName=SR001&SelectedFilterAttribut=%255B%255D
snow report
As someone who should know better, I am ashamed to say that about 14 years ago ( not long after we moved out) I managed to let the anti-freeze freeze in the radiator of my '87 landy 110 it was 2am and the car had been parked up in the exposed open air Carpark in Avoriaz for 30 hours in minus 20 and change.

And just last week I got the the filling station with a very empty tank on my 2017 Duster just to find that the lock on the fuel filler cap had frozen and would not open.
latest report
@ski3, thanks for the explanation - I returned off a four day snow delay and 3 flights from Japan to a car in the airport car park with exactly that problem last week. Dragged the rear wheels about 15 yards along the gravel and nothing.

Thankfully there was a friendly man with a big hammer employed by the car park for just such an eventuality. He was not shy with the hammer. Eventually they pinged free, but I was amazed at the beating it took.
ski holidays
Yep...we do this..and have done for years

Winter tyres

Silicone grease or silicone polish on all the door seals

Fill up with diesel in the mountains to get winter diesel

Driving up to resort and for last few miles with the heater full on and windows open at the top to really dry the car out - stops condensation which can freeze horribly inside - don’t leave wet rags or half-empty cups of coffee in the car - these also can cause annoying frozen condensation

Don’t use handbrake

Use high concentration screenwash

Put small plastic bags under windscreen wipers

Don’t park where your car will be snowploughed - have seen this happen

Spray wd40 or gt85 in all locks if you still use keys - put a new battery in your electronic key - a weak one can cr”p out in the cold

Don’t try to open electric windows if they are frozen shut - can wreck the mechanism or break frozen window seals
snow conditions
Followed most of the advice above , but...
Modern cars have batteries in odd places mine are both in the floor pans under the seats - Great until parked on snow for a week or so without moving.
Once it was repatriated and the total electrical failure diagnosed due to the freeze thaw of the batteries Shocked
Moral: make sure you give the car a run every 3 days or so.. and don't leave parked ontop of snow and covered in snow for over a week!
Needless to say I always try and park it in a garage these days
snow report
@boredsurfin, there are odd things like that to catch out the unwary.

Friend has battery in boot, completely flattened, boot has electric release only Shocked had to rig jump leads to main + on starter motor and - on engine block to get it to cooperate.

Batteries are mutch more temp tolerant when fully charged. When completely flat the acid is much more straight water, and freezes at higher temps. They should not be charged at all if frozen as risk exploding. Didn't someone on here with a Merc experience that?

Good point on opening frozen windows @valais2, many are moved by cable and motor systems that often run on plastic guides etc. They SHOULD reach over torque on motor if stuck, but sometimes they'll break one of the plastic component when in cold temps. It usually ends up with the window dropping open.

If it's your own car, you can when warmer open the windows and spray the tracks with silicone spray to stop water absorption and henceforth freezing.
ski holidays
I filled up using the regular diesel at Super U just outside Chamonix just b4 xmas.

When it went cold i had aweful trouble with the car ..

I can only think they hadn't added the additive.

I popped some of the Wynns antigel in and problem solved, but very annoying at time as I was late on an airport run and the car in "limp" mode wasn't overly helpful.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WYNNS-ICE-PROOF-ANTI-FREEZE-ANTI-GEL-FOR-DIESEL-BIO-DIESEL-MOTORAMA-HULL/391490097546?hash=item5b26a0d18a:g:ZNQAAOxy3NBSjQOJ
snow report
We're picking up our hire car in Milan, will they be using winter diesel there, or is it just the mountain areas. We're going to Courmayeur, so it's only 1100m don't think the temps will drop really low there, and we're planning on going to both La Thule and Pila for a couple of days, so the car will be used daily.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffknight wrote:
We're picking up our hire car in Milan, will they be using winter diesel there, or is it just the mountain areas. We're going to Courmayeur, so it's only 1100m don't think the temps will drop really low there, and we're planning on going to both La Thule and Pila for a couple of days, so the car will be used daily.

Bad plan, the temps can drop plenty low enough at 1100m, and it matters not if the car is used each day.

Get some additive, it only costs a tenner, put it in your luggage, then add it to the fuel when you get there.

It just isn't worth scrimping on £10, and you are hardly gonna be on the breadline if you go skiing.
snow report
I remember HellsBells having a major problem with diesel waxing - bought in Italy. Car had to be towed. Use the additive! Cars hired in Milan are unlikely to have winter tyres - though they will presumably provide chains as this is required by law on the motorways into the mountains. Check you have chains and, if it looks like being snowy, make sure they fit and you know how to fit them - with summer tyres even a small gradient can become impossible with an inch of sleety slush.
snow conditions
ChrisKernow wrote:
I filled up using the regular diesel at Super U just outside Chamonix just b4 xmas.

When it went cold i had aweful trouble with the car ..

I can only think they hadn't added the additive.

I popped some of the Wynns antigel in and problem solved, but very annoying at time as I was late on an airport run and the car in "limp" mode wasn't overly helpful.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WYNNS-ICE-PROOF-ANTI-FREEZE-ANTI-GEL-FOR-DIESEL-BIO-DIESEL-MOTORAMA-HULL/391490097546?hash=item5b26a0d18a:g:ZNQAAOxy3NBSjQOJ

You were lucky that it actually started because putting the additive in after the diesel has waxed up and the engine is not running generally does not help, as if the filter is blocked the fuel pumped up from the tank will simply return.
latest report
dublin2 wrote:
Spoon wrote:

I’d say a good year of regular wear to get the sag level right! Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

How do you stop the litter falling through the holes?
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

How do you stop the litter falling through the holes?

Tie a knot at both the open AND toe end obviously.
snow conditions
Quote:

Tie a knot at both the open AND toe end obviously

and darn any holes
http://youtube.com/v/jvIVyJL8QTI
ski holidays
Sorry, might be a silly question, but does the handbrake advice apply for automatic cars? Enterprise gave us one instead of the manual we asked for (and are used to).
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
Sorry, might be a silly question, but does the handbrake advice apply for automatic cars? Enterprise gave us one instead of the manual we asked for (and are used to).

Most (all?) modern automatics will engage the electronic handbrake when you put it in park/take the key out/turn off the engine. There’s normally a button/lever somewhere (my one is under the dashboard next to the bonnet lever!) to manually engage it.

I’ve only used the “actual” handbrake on my automatic when I change my wheels.
snow report
@ChrisKernow, I'm not scrimping, I'm asking advice, we've booked am Audi Q5 4x4 with winter tyres ( same price as a Fiat 500L with winter tyres, seems too good to not go for it) I'll take some additive with me and put it in at the airport.
snow report
@denfinella, Automatic cars in 'park' have a transmission lock, just don't use the handbrake and you'll be fine. I drive in these conditions all winter long (I drive a 'semi' with an automated manual box so don't have the option of not using the parking brake) so I carry a 10lb lump hammer to free off the drums when they are frozen. It's not just the electrolytic action that freezes brakes, it is also the fact that brakes get warm (they do what is said on the tin rolling eyes ) and they warm up any connected components . . . which will probably be covered in snow and slush . . . which then melts and dribbles all over the hub and its systems . . . and freezes!

Don't be surprised to see an ABS failure warning when driving off after a longer stop, it's just ice blocking the system in older or cheaper mechanical systems (more modern systems have strain gauges and speed sensors to activate).

Here's what you need to take with you. Just one of those tiny pocket WD40 (or equivalent) spray cans for the locks (and use it when you pick up the car). When you stop for a pee or to fuel the kids/car,buy some anti-gel and put it in BEFORE you fuel to make sure it mixes properly. IF! you can't find any anti-gel you can use 1gal of premium unleaded to 15gal of diesel . . . but that should only be done in extremis and again BEFORE filling with diesel.

Brushes, scrapers, shovels etc. can be scrounged, borrowed etc. . . . but if your car won't start . . . yer boogered wink
snow conditions
Quote:

I'll take some additive with me and put it in at the airport.

Every day hundreds of deisel vehicles drive up and down the mountain. Many park up there every night. Most (the vast majority) will not use any extra additives. Unless they are trying to start at -25 and below most will be fine. I've never used any additives, always use my handbrake and apart from sometimes spending hours diggging out have always been fine.

@geoffknight, You have got a good deal on the car. The 500L is just about the cheepest car on the rank. Almost anything is better
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy