Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smaller ski areas

Poster: A snowHead
Thought there may have been an old thread on this subject but couldn't find it.

A Guardian article on smaller ski areas... a few ideas for some maybe...

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/oct/10/10-best-small-ski-resorts-europe-readers-travel-tips

Or maybe share your tips (if you didn't already contribute to the above!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are off to puy st Vincent this season for the first time (with snowbizz) which is pretty small too apparently.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, as those of us who have been on the preBBWUW bash know, Alleghe with its Civetta ski area is a lovely small ski area with great scenery and excellent mountain restaurants and a fairly short transfer time from the Venice airports. Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been to Puy St Vincent and would say that the Snowbizz set up there is the highlight rather than the ski area itself..although it is perfectly enjoyable for a week.

Of the small ski areas I've been to my favourite is Courmayeur and staying there also gives the opportunity to spend a day skiing the Vallee Blanche.

I also loved Andalo (paganella) in the dolomites many years ago.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Guardian seems to have missed all the brilliant small areas in Austria, many of which are really quiet when the big resorts are rammed. Daren't say which ones as we don't want them to get too popular!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RobinS, it's based on readers tips
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's also based on resorts which aren't in the Alps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure Garmisch really qualifies. It is often busy with day trippers from Munich (there are often big traffic queues to get home) and is not a small town. The skiing area is a reasonable size too especially if you include the Zugspitze.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some interesting options in there.

Been to Kolasin, Montenegro.

It was excellent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are quite a few small ones this way that aren't on UK TO radars at all. Smallest is probably Col D'Ornon near Bourg d'Oisans which is just one tire fesse with a couple of runs. Alpe de Grande Serre is bigger but a charming resort, I must get there again this winter.

Les 7 Laux and Chamrousse near Grenoble are a bit better known. But in the Vercors there is Villard de Lans plus a few smaller such as Autrans-Méaudre. There are several small stations in the Chartreuse which I've only ever seen in the summer when I've hiked there.

A friend lives just outside Annecy, nearby is La Semnoz, which when open she skis for an hour or so at lunchtime. Again I've not really seen it in the winter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Claude B, There are other stations in the Bauges than Semnoz, I have skied at Les Aillons.

Have skied Chamrousse and Villard de Lans. Collet d'Allevard is the other side of Les 7 Laux from Chamrousse.

There is a France3 clip on youtube of Les Rafforts, just one lift, stewart woodward has skied there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I feel I need a few day trips this winter Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Claude B, some of the places you mention are offered by the self drive TO we use, Peak Retreats, eg Chamrousse, les sept laux and villard de lans. Although most of our holidays booked through them have been to mid size french resorts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I survive into retirement I hope to do a bit of a tour of these small places.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I regularly drive over the Col D'Ornon then down the Route Napolean to Gap to get to my girlfriend's near Aix en Provence. There are several small stations north of Gap of which Devoluy is probably the only relatively big one. Others are Laye, St Michel de Chaillol, Ancelle, and others.
ski holidays
@Claude B, You have the Ubaye south of Gap too, I have skied at Pra Loup.
snow conditions
Artesina in Italy. I took a school trip there for a February half-term and we had the place to ourselves. Not a single lift queue all week.
ski holidays
we went to val cenis last year which is a decent size but the lift pass covers some lovely smaller areas which were within an easy drive, bonneva sur arc only having few runs but was empty and didnt hear a single english voice other than us four, aussois is a lovely resort too, its one of the reasons we drive, finding these little gems away from the madding crowd
snow report
Here's a two that I've been to a couple of times, both brilliant..

Damuels _ Austria
Warthe Schroeken - Austria
ski holidays
loads in Italy and much of the dolomiti superski is small resorts if you steer clear of the sella rhonda
ski holidays
The Guardian also did an article on satellites - linked to a big name resort but costing much less: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/dec/06/satellite-ski-resorts-verbier-four-valleys-switzerland The Telegraph also did something similar for buying Alpine property https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/abroad/heres-how-to-buy-an-alpine-home-with-the-best-skiing-at-a-lower/ but the same applies: rentals are similarly cheaper.
latest report
And also is indeed a gem. The view of the Brenta group opposite is jaw dropping.
Snowheads are well aware of Civetta.

For small resorts with charm you just need a car and a month in Austria. Even the biggest areas are often just made of of a group of small gems.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy