Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non political, practical advice for skiers on Brexit.

Poster: A snowHead
The Association of British Insurers has today issued this advice for UK citizens who wish to drive in the EU in the event of No Deal:

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Re pets. The default in the event of no deal will be
-passport useless for entering EU
-rabies vaccine, wait 30d
-rabies blood test, wait 3m
- get health cert from vet in 10d before entering EU
- cert valid for 4m, then need another.

Ie if you want take you pet with you in April or early May it’s already potentially too late to get started.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So difficult isn’t it? As an aside I read an article last week saying that the French border police are mighty backed off at government for the lorry park exercise the other week at Dover. They had apparently told our government that there will definately be no change and certainly no extra checks not least of all because they don’t have the staff!! They felt our government was stirring and making them out to look bad.

So much speculation from all sides.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Pow wrote:
Where's the snow?

Book flight.

Arrive at destination airport.

Smile.

Say I'm really looking forward to visiting your country and skiing resort X

Welcome to 'Insert Country Here'

As it has always been.

You clearly haven't landed at a USA airport...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone know the deal for UK instructors and tour operators working in Europe.if there's a no deal?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup. Get work permit and residence permit prior to actually starting employment there, with demonstration of offered income, health insurance, etc.. That's valid for the single country where you apply, not the entire EU/EEA/Schengen/whatever, valid for a fixed but renewable time period.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Regarding vehicle and travel insurance, I am working off the ABI checklist here. This assumes a genuine no deal scenario i.e. one in which neither the Commission nor member states elect to mitigate the impact of Brexit on UK citizens travelling within the EU/EEA. I regard no deal as a high probability as it is the legal base case. It is also the only scenario that can be planned for as the variables are know.

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/choosing-the-right-insurance/motor-insurance/travelling-to-the-eu-if-a-no-deal-brexit/

Note that they recommend a green card in respect of motor insurance and also checking the specific wording of your travel policy in respect of EHIC. If carrying EHIC is a requirement of your policy then they recommend contacting your insurer.

Quote:

You don't have to be in the EU to be a part of the EHIC scheme. Is there any evidence that EHIC will end on the 29th March or that suddenly no-one from the UK will be able to drive in France legally or is it all scare mongering?

EHIC is an arrangement between the 31 states of the EEA and Switzerland. The UK is leaving the EEA and is therefore leaving EHIC unless there is an agreement to the contrary before 29 March.

An IDP may be necessary if the UK leaves without a deal. Continuity of recognition of qualifications is in the gift of EU member states/the Commission. I imagine there will probably be a grace period but that is not the legal position. See below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit/requirements-for-all-uk-citizens-driving-abroad-from-29-march-2019

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/international-driving-permits-for-uk-drivers-from-28-march-2019#driving-in-the-eu-and-eea-from-29-march-2019
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

davidof wrote:
gixxerniknik wrote:
@queenie pretty please,
I didn't know that...I thought the EHIC covered you for the same level as here. Both of us have certainly been treated in France and had to pay nothing due to having an EHIC

I'm surprised as the EHIC covers you to the same extent as the local "state" healthcare provision. In France I never have any treatment where I don't hand over my credit card or cash, some of which I can claim back against my private health insurance.

You don't have to be in the EU to be a part of the EHIC scheme. Is there any evidence that EHIC will end on the 29th March or that suddenly no-one from the UK will be able to drive in France legally or is it all scare mongering?

Me too, as we have experience of using French healthcare. We paid a fee at the GP surgery, used EHIC at 1st hospital (billed later for part of it, 20% of cost of MRI possibly? ), used EHIC at 2nd hospital (emergency operation at CHU Grenoble, so treatment free of charge but paid a daily fee for hospital).

Cost of that without EHIC would have been in 10s of thousands, so I can't see how insurance premiums will stay the same.

I think prices must go up if we end up with no EHIC. In our local medical centre in the village, you have to pay on completion of the appt and then you determine if you want to claim off your travel insurance. I had to pay the ambulance driver that took husband from said medical centre to A&E in Sallanches. But had to show the EHIC on admission and also confirm we had insurance. Luckily, they had a bilingual insurance administrator and they took care of all liaison with the travel insurance after that to cover the ICU stay, 3 weeks in the chest ward and the repatriation. The cost of all of that would have been eyewatering and I am sure that if the insurance companies have to meet all of the costs, if EHIC is withdrawn, then premiums will rise.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The IDP possibility may be an issue for seasonnaires who are already out in the Alps who drove there from the UK and won’t be going back until the end of the season i.e. April/May-like me!
You can’t get an IDP from a UK Post Office without presenting your passport, new passport sized photograph and driving licence and if you’re already abroad, well it’s a bit daft to expect people to go home just to get one of them and then go back again.
Of course that only applies in a ‘No deal’ outcome and I think they will either sort out a deal very soon now the deadline is coming up quickly or there will be an extension to the negotiations until later this year.
We shall have to see!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The EU has agreed Visa free travel
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6657059/Britons-able-travel-visa-free-Europe-no-deal-Brexit.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boredsurfin, fab
Does that mean the driving thing is likely to be ok now as well do you think?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have found Insure & Go are excellent and their annual cover is a bargain.

My girlfriend broke her collarbone on the mountain 2 years ago in Courchevel, stretchered off, lots of x-rays and eventually ended up having surgery under GA in France (it was an awkward break). Including private taxi's from resort to hospital we racked up about £3ks worth of fees. They covered everything we had reciepts for, which was everything.

They cover off-piste (as long as its not designated out of bounds) and guided ski touring.

From their website:

"What are you covered for when skiing?

Our skiing insurance covers a range of skiing activities, including:

Off-piste skiing
Cross country skiing
Freestyle skiing
Cat skiing
Heli-skiing
Mono skiing
Recreational/non-professional ski racing or training
Ski acrobatics
Ski bob racing
Ski fun parks
Ski stunting
Ski touring with a guide

We’ll cover your stuff

Whether you take your own or hire equipment from the resort, we’ll make sure your stuff is covered. For skiers, this will include your skis, poles, boots and bindings, plus any helmets. We also cover snowboarding equipment for the shredders among you.
Your ski lift pass is sorted

If you lose or have your pass for the ski lift stolen, we’ll pay you the unused percentage of the cost of your pass based on its value at the time it was lost or stolen.
Off piste skiing?

Oh yes! We’ll even cover you off-piste.

As long as resort management have not identified the area as unsafe, then we’re happy to include all off-piste skiing in our ski travel insurance policies. So you can explore even further!
Is anything excluded?

Don’t leave your stuff unattended in a public place! Although this is probably self-explanatory, remember to be cautious – relaxed holiday makers make easy targets for theft. But don’t worry, you won’t need to be on high-alert your entire trip, as we don’t class the use of ski racks to be a public place. If you stop for a break between 10am and 8pm, just use the ski-racks as normal and we’ve got you covered.

Lastly, just make sure you let us know about anything that happens as quickly as possible. Any lost or stolen ski equipment must be reported to the police within 24 hours, so make sure to report any incident immediately to resolve the issue ASAP.

You can check through any exclusions you might be unsure of by checking our policy documents.

To choose the right skiing travel insurance policy for you, get a quote online or get in touch for more information.
Are there any restrictions to the winter sports insurance cover?

We have no age restrictions on our winter sports travel insurance at all.

We cover off-piste skiing and snowboarding, unless the area has been designated as unsafe by the resort. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to cover any professional-level ski racing or training, but this usually isn’t a problem (even if you think you’re the next Eddie the Eagle).

We will cover all skis, poles, snowboards, boots & bindings, and won’t sting you like some other companies for using ski racks! We won’t be able to cover sports equipment that is left unattended in a public place, but this is all covered in our policy documents."
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="T Bar"]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No way in hell am I clicking a Daily Wail link!

Driving licence and visa / work permit / residence permit are totally unrelated.

Visa free travel is just freedom to travel without a visa (for 90days max in 180, if UK reciprocates). I think that allows stuff like business trips, conferences etc. but not paid work. So won't cover a 4 month seasonnaires job. Unless the deal has changed or EU nations changed their minds.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well we have been in France since the beginning of December and our contracts run until the end of April. We have no Green Card for our car, and no IDP. We are also driving work minibuses on shuttle services and airport transfers. I certainly hope the useless politicians pull thier fingers out and get something sorted! Incidentally, if we need an IDP for France after 29th March virtually none of the transfer companies using UK drivers will be able to operate. ( Though it does seem perverse if the EU demands an IDP, which is just a translation, when we already have Licences recognised across the EU, with an EU flag on them!)
snow conditions
I have a healthy dislike for paperwork. So intend to do nothing about anything. It's called do nothing heroics. But I'm in a Renault Master the same as the Gendarmes an colour so they wouldn't worry anyway.
ski holidays
Here's a safer link for the same story: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/01/gibraltar-colony-row-flares-as-eu-makes-travel-visa-free-for-britons
snow conditions
RobinS wrote:
Well we have been in France since the beginning of December and our contracts run until the end of April. We have no Green Card for our car, and no IDP. We are also driving work minibuses on shuttle services and airport transfers. I certainly hope the useless politicians pull thier fingers out and get something sorted! Incidentally, if we need an IDP for France after 29th March virtually none of the transfer companies using UK drivers will be able to operate. ( Though it does seem perverse if the EU demands an IDP, which is just a translation, when we already have Licences recognised across the EU, with an EU flag on them!)

I suspect the local gendarmerie may be curiously on the ball where they have been well briefed by local business owners who resent Les Rosbifs earning "their" money. In other cases where the service provided is considered an integrate part of the commune they won't care at all.
ski holidays
You’d think they would have something set up online for people who are already abroad. There must be thousands of people already here that have come out for the season but admittedly not all of them will have cars with them.
I’ve looked into the most cost effective option of getting around it and if I must I can always fly back to Stansted for £27-45 return as won’t have luggage to add on, go to a Post Office in London that has the IDPs, get one of them and then come back the next day! Can have a look around London while I’m there.
At the moment they’ve only said we ‘may’ need an IDP not we definitely will. And that’s assuming ‘no deal’ still.
snow conditions
Re the International Driving Permit (IDP) - the situation is confusing. If you read the gov.uk guidance then it implies you should go for one of the two existing versions. Some reports said that you could go to the AA or RAC who will do the admin. BUT other sources (e.g. the AA website itself) are saying a new, third IDP will be introduced as of 1.2.19 which can't be ordered by the AA/RAC after that date - only face-to-face at a designated Post Office. Of which there are currently only 68 (roughly one per County) although there is a vague promise from the Government to increase the PO capacity.

I'd be interested to know the current situation re an IDP for driving in the EU now that we're past the 1st. Feb. date.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, Just learn the French/German etc for "I'm sorry that my fellow countrypeople are irrepentant xenophobes and that my government are clowns, please don't hold it against me" That will probably get you off or at least raise a little sympathy.

Oh sorry. No political - I don't know how you can take the political out of it though. It's all a risk /uncertain because of politics.
snow conditions
I will just wait and see as there’s still almost 2 months to go and luckily I have the flexibility to just pop back to London if I have to. It wouldn’t be a complete waste of time as I’ve not been to London in yonks. Better to get it than risk driving without it if it’s decided that it’s needed. It only takes one policeman going exactly by the book and it could cause me all sorts of problems. Not worth it for the sake of £100 but it sounds like it won’t even cost me that much! And I will be able to use it in other countries for 3 years.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, Just learn the French/German etc for "I'm sorry that my fellow countrypeople are irrepentant xenophobes and that my government are clowns, please don't hold it against me" That will probably get you off or at least raise a little sympathy.

"Englisch? Leck mi am oarsch - i bims a Schotte! Fick di Englisch. FREIHEIT!"

Should work in Tirol
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

It is already difficult enough to get travel insurance that will cover anything at all (especially if you don't wear a helmet when skiing!) without paying a fortune.

Has anyone else heard of a restriction on wearing a helmet while skiing. I certainly haven't

Yes this interests me to. Although whilst in Austria last year seems like I was the only one without a lid.
snow conditions
About IDP, it's really not about UK but about the destination country.

I have a US driver's license. The first time I had to hire a car in another country, I looked up the list of countries "require" an IDP, and dutifully got one. Well, it was never checked. My US license was the only one ever checked.

Every time I need to hire a car in a foreign country, I still check that list and get an IDP just to be on the safe side. But so far, I've never ever used it even once. It's fortunate the UK license is in a well-known language makes that possible.

My ex-boyfriend from Switzerland would carry both his Swiss license and his US license when driving. When he got stopped for speeding or other traffic violation, he would show his Swiss license. He never got a ticket! But when he's involves in an accident, he was wise enough to show his local license (as he's a resident here)
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I will just wait and see as there’s still almost 2 months to go and luckily I have the flexibility to just pop back to London if I have to. ...

There are estimated to be something like 800,000 British workers and dependants in Europe, not including a further 500,000 pensioners. Even if only say 25% need an IDP (because the others are either not driving or are children) it might not be that simple for them all to "just pop back" to anywhere in the UK. Particularly if the other 600,000 (+500,000) also need to "pop back" to get residential / working visas etc.

Seem likely that even with a no-deal exit there will be some pragmatic compromises for a period.
snow report
Have just checked our current IDPs, which we got for Albania last year. They are 1949 ones, which are OK for Spain, but not France, and not even valid for the countries we got them for after 28th March. Incidentally we got them from a post office, but they have AA stamps on them. As we won't know for certain until it's too late I think we will just rely on either not getting checked, the gendarmes not knowing any new rules, or a pragmatic decision being made. There are potentially hundreds of thousands of people in the same boat as us.
ski holidays
ecureuil wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I will just wait and see as there’s still almost 2 months to go and luckily I have the flexibility to just pop back to London if I have to. ...

Seem likely that even with a no-deal exit there will be some pragmatic compromises for a period.

Well you’d think so. I’m not going to worry too much about it, anything can happen over the next few weeks. It’s good to be aware though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

"Englisch? Leck mi am oarsch - i bims a Schotte! Fick di Englisch. FREIHEIT!"

Should work in Tirol

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
ecureuil wrote:

There are estimated to be something like 800,000 British workers and dependants in Europe, not including a further 500,000 pensioners. Even if only say 25% need an IDP (because the others are either not driving or are children) it might not be that simple for them all to "just pop back" to anywhere in the UK. Particularly if the other 600,000 (+500,000) also need to "pop back" to get residential / working visas etc.

For those of us living over here on a longer basis the advised solution is to swap your UK license for an EU one of the country you're resident of. I did this a few months ago, very simple process (in nl). But the risk is in no deal, I could loose the right to swap it back and potentially have to retake the UK driving test to regain right to drive in the UK long term. Short term rights, driving whilst on holiday etc are different to long term rights.

Anyway, I don't suggest this if you're just out for a season, but if you've moved out longer term then it seems a sensible move.
latest report
I rang insurance company today (the one with the Bulldog) ... they have indicated they will charge me £38 for a Green Card for the 10 days i will be away in France.

This doesn't sound to me like a "small administrative charge".

Anyone else got examples of charges being levied?
snow conditions
Richie_S wrote:
I rang insurance company today (the one with the Bulldog) ... they have indicated they will charge me £38 for a Green Card for the 10 days i will be away in France.
Shocked
ski holidays
Rcav wrote:
ecureuil wrote:

For those of us living over here on a longer basis the advised solution is to swap your UK license for an EU one of the country you're resident of. I did this a few months ago, very simple process (in nl). But the risk is in no deal, I could loose the right to swap it back and potentially have to retake the UK driving test to regain right to drive in the UK long term. Short term rights, driving whilst on holiday etc are different to long term rights.

Anyway, I don't suggest this if you're just out for a season, but if you've moved out longer term then it seems a sensible move.

Probably not an issue getting it back
When I swapped my UK driving licence for a Canadian one, ICBC (who issue driving licences here) sent my UK one back to the DVLA. I seem to recall they said I could ask for it back from them if we returned to the uk
ski holidays
Updated (on 1 Feb) advice from the UK government on driving in the UK after Brexit.

www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit
snow report
As someone who first skied in europe prior to even entering the common market, there should be no issues at all. Everyone wants tourist money, so facilitation will be excellent. If you are worried, dont ski after the 29 th march, this year. Next year will be totally clear before you book for 19/20 I would have thought.
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
As someone who first skied in europe prior to even entering the common market, there should be no issues at all.
In the interests of practical advice I think it's sensible to point out that the Europe Community that existed before the Common Market no longer exists today. Regulations for international travel are different, so Brexit does not take the UK back to a time before the Common Market, but to the regulations that exist for other third countries today. Having said that, the advice and best guesses that I've seen regarding holiday travel seem to indicate a bit more paperwork and online applications to enjoy your holidays in the EU, nothing more. If you want to stay in the EU for more than 90 days it gets more complicated, but for "regular" holidays not so much of an issue.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 2-02-19 13:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@twoodwar,

All the major operators I know already have their staff on EU contracts.

The ski schools are worried about losing their British clients so will be putting pressure on Mr Mountain, Bariner, to sort a deal.
snow conditions
@Richie_S, do you already have European cover included on your policy?
latest report
@Tignes addict, that is my point really. Tourism has its own special pressure. No one wants to lose it. Appreciate @rob@rar, point, but mine is that all the pressure will be to ensure there are no tourism problems. This thread will be useful for late season skiers this year obviously, however for next year, it will all become clear in the summer I would have thought. In the early 70's people had issue free holiday's in Greece, with a military Junta, in Spain with a facist dictatorship, and in France (late 60's) with student riots. Simply trying to tell people not to worry too much, but the advice here will be usefull if skiing from March 29th.
snow report
@Hells Bells, not sure, and haven’t checked. I just rang up and explained I needed a green card...

I guess that might explain it! I’ll go and check my policy. Thank you!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy