Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non political, practical advice for skiers on Brexit.

Poster: A snowHead
queenie pretty please wrote:
...we cease to be EU citizens...

Not a particular dig at @Bodeswell, who seems relatively sane on the whole, but I think that this is something that many people have not really contemplated and don't fully comprehend Confused

@Gämsbock, Laughing You're probably right, though he's been checked on that train before. Must look a bit dodgy. I could probably sneak across the border in my own car though, at that's unlikely to be stopped.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reading this thread makes me realise how well the Dutch have handled things so far. We have already got letters from the Dutch immigration department, which in the case of no deal, will act as a temporary residence permit until they have issued us with our permanent ones. We didn't have to apply for these, we just got them in the post. We've been advised to carry them at all times with our passports. So basically, we can prove our Dutch residency already and travel as we like/need. Which is good as plenty of people round here are cross-border workers so have to travel across Schengen borders every day for work.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rcav, That sounds very sensible and organised. Sadly, not much happens in Austria without attendance in person at an office with limited opening hours, and a requisite rubber stamp. One might think the internet hadn't caught on yet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, yes everything needs a rubber stamp and attendance at an office that has limited opening times. Welcome to Austria!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, I do get it that we cease to be EU citizens. I also know quite a few, including Mrs Bodeswell, and have seen the process that has been put in place for them to continue living in the UK. The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021 and as far as I'm aware the Government hasn't said that they can't go on holiday during that period.

I know that Austria has some rather dodgy far right politics going on just now but I would expect that if you meet the criteria to remain they won't kick you out because you went skiing in France for a week. Of course I may be wrong. I hope the Austrians sort it out for you soon and with a bit of luck there will be a deal of some sorts and it won't be an issue.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LittleBullet wrote:
am I correct in understanding?

I will not need the green card to rent a car, just the relevant IDP

Green card needed if driving UK registered car in relevant EEA and associated countries

Anyone know how this applies in reverse? I need to hire a care in Scotland in early May, and now have an Austrian driving license. Assume I will now also need to get an Internation Driving Permit?

I don't have a good record of hiring cars in Scotland, as last time I tried (in October) it was only at the car hire desk I discovered my UK license had expired a year previously Embarassed Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlet wrote:
Anyone blagged their way around Schengen (internally) on a driving licence only? The other one has decided to travel to Germany for a period that covers 12th April Shocked As residency permits cannot even be applied for until the following Monday morning, there is potential for confusion at the weekend. I wouldn't be too bothered if he was flying back into Austria (they don't normally check at all), but he'll be on the Munich train which is frequented by German border guards. No ID card, and a British passport might involve hassle. Will they accept an Austrian driving license as ID?

I've gone from Austria to Germany/Italy/Switzerland and back multiple times by car, train and bus, and never once had my documents checked. Obviously not a guarantee, but just tell him not to speak English loudly and everyone will probably just assume he's German or something wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Clarky999 The UK government has already stated that EU driving licences will be valid in the UK whether there is a deal or no deal. It doesn't matter if you are driving your own car or hiring one.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, UK Government have confirmed that EU citizens with EU photo driving licences will not require an IDP to drive in the UK. (After all, the IDP is just a bit of cardboard with some translations on it - we all know what standardized EU driving licences look like.)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurdy, @RobinS, many thanks!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Picked up IDP in Post Office today. Quick, well part form the huge quees that formed while they hand wrote Shocked them. Dog will remain at home this holiday until the dust clears.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheesie168 wrote:
Picked up IDP in Post Office today. ... they hand wrote Shocked them.

Laughing Laughing

Well at least if you never get asked for it you can always frame it Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ha Ha

http://youtube.com/v/p8Z_oNcSdbA
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ha Ha

http://youtube.com/v/p8Z_oNcSdbA
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On the post office checker you need an Idp for France (1968) from November onwards
snow report
Worth getting one organised I guess.
snow conditions
Don’t buy too early some have short validity
I had to buy 2 versions just in case we escaped in April for an overland trip to Morocco via Spain each country required a different version how daft is that!
Anyway turns out the Morocco version will also cover France so our ski trip is golden as far as useless unwanted paperwork is required that no one will ever look at is concerned
ski holidays
Some advice re your Passport expiry date - it may be invalid even if it expires a long time after the end of November.

Be aware that if you last renewed your passport some time before it was due to expire, then the new expiry date may not be an indication of when it fails the 'expiry -6 months' guideline. My wife has just found this out after reading an article in the newspaper. A few years ago, she renewed her passport early because with a future wedding anniversary and various other planned international trips, she wouldn't have had a 'window' in which to do so if she left it any longer. i.e. a "I might as well renew it now when I know I'm not travelling for 4 months, as opposed to in the middle of a bunch of foreign trips later next year". Nominally, her passport is good for another year. Actually, it isn't.

Her date of expiry includes the additional time she already had on the existing passport. But this isn't counted in the calculation. One indication of this is if the month of the start and end dates of the passport aren't the same.

So if you're in this category, check at https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport?_ga=2.22051122.805049948.1569358380-439380171.1569358380 - actually, check anyway.
ski holidays
@LaForet, my wife’s......15 months before the expiry date on the passport!
ski holidays
BBC News - Brexit: What will happen to European Health Insurance Cards?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49989227
ski holidays
Travelling between the EU and the UK in the event of a no-deal Brexit. https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/file_import/travelling_en_0.pdf?fbclid=IwAR34DEdPM5_uo842mwHZDyMnceZsLYnhjeuJz0pjIpXvi9phGLvp918HatI
snow conditions
European health insurance cards are pretty useless in my expeience. Only private hospitals near most ski resorts. You need one, and offer it in order to make a claim off your own insurance.
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
European health insurance cards are pretty useless in my expeience. Only private hospitals near most ski resorts.
A couple of seasons ago the EHIC agreement covered me for around €2,000 of hospital expenses. Travel insurance on the same incident covered me for around €5,500 of evacuation costs. I was glad I had both. You're right to say that for relatively minor accidents in many resorts you are likely to end up in a private clinic, but more serious injuries (which will be more expensive), there's much more chance you will be taken to a public hospital. If we lose the EHIC scheme travel insurance will have to pick up the slack, so worth looking at the small print for any policy we have for this winter.
snow report
Quote:

Only private hospitals near most ski resorts.

I never knew that. I always thought the ones in Bourg st Maurice, Moutier, Albertville, Grenoble etc were public hospitals.

OK they do not operate like UK ones but the average French tourist gets treated in them at state (well actually national insurance) costs As do EHIC bearers.

As @rob@rar, says. Travel insurance companies insist you have EHIC because it cuts their likely payouts down dramatically
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Only private hospitals near most ski resorts.

I never knew that. I always thought the ones in Bourg st Maurice, Moutier, Albertville, Grenoble etc were public hospitals.

OK they do not operate like UK ones but the average French tourist gets treated in them at state (well actually national insurance) costs As do EHIC bearers.

Yep i've used EHIC in Bourg and Moutier. Medical centre in Meribel is private and closes quite early A&E in Moutiers is 24hr.
snow report
I've used my EHIC for free emergency dental treatment in Austria.
snow report
Gosh, Can't believe I started this thread back in January.

well, the pound is usually a good indicator of the direction of travel as those in Whitehall are straight to text mates in The City as soon as anything happens.
A big bounce over the last 24 hrs. If a deal looks on the cards, expect the pound to hit 1.32 ish to the dollar and that should rise over 1.40, at least, if a deal goes through.

I've spent quite a bit of time with my business in Europe over the last few months and they don't seem that concerned whether we stay or leave and seem to think that keeping Ireland economically secure is the priority, hence the effect of the positive meeting in Liverpool yesterday.

I think the biggest problem this season could be those working, doing business in Switzerland. The EU deal will take time to sort and many will leave things as they are until they get clarification.
The Swiss, however are quite on the ball and I had quite quizzing and interrogation at the French Swiss border two weeks ago, taking my business to Milan.

Time will tell.

For those who need to pay bills in Euros, I'd hold off. The pound should strenghten on the back of a deal or possible referendum/Benn act coming in to force.

If you have lots of Euros and wants pounds in the long run, now's the time to cash in. You've already lost 3% since Wednesday.

Check your insurance very carefully. We are currently under EU insurance regs, but I've no idea how this may change....

Oh, I felt a chill in my bones driving through the Alps. I think we're in for a good one........
latest report
Best advice is to avoid the EU altogether.

Ski in US, Canada or Switzerland.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, and another good bit of advice -
All my business associates have started using a resolute card. Seems you get better exchange rate and points which turn in to money abroad. Early days for me but, so far, it's served me well
snow report
+1 for Revolut - almost no dealing spread, no commission or fees on basic card/app, free transfers, just be mindful of holding large balances on there. Their website says:

Client funds are safeguarded at Barclays/Lloyd's. Your money is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. As an authorised institution, Revolut safeguards your funds as per regulatory requirements. In the event of an insolvency of Revolut, you will be able to claim your funds from this segregated account and your claim will be paid above all other creditors
snow conditions
Another plus for revolut. We're in the middle of a property purchase and I have been able to transfer significant sums for only their annual premium fee of £72 - yesterday the best rate I got through them was 1.1468. I've also used them as a travel card - the only issue has been at prepay petrol pumps, once the property is sorted I will revert back to their free app/ card which still allows ~€5k monthly transfers for free.
snow conditions
rwilson wrote:
+1 for Revolut - almost no dealing spread, no commission or fees on basic card/app, free transfers, just be mindful of holding large balances on there. Their website says:

Client funds are safeguarded at Barclays/Lloyd's. Your money is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. As an authorised institution, Revolut safeguards your funds as per regulatory requirements. In the event of an insolvency of Revolut, you will be able to claim your funds from this segregated account and your claim will be paid above all other creditors

+1 for the bolded above. If they go insolvent there's no guarantee that you will get anything back at all. The segregated account is used first to pay the administrator / liquidator, and after that the balance (which could be zero) is split between depositors. It may be okay for relatively small holiday spending that you can afford to lose, but no way would I risk it for something like a property purchase - they might go bust at exactly the wrong moment. Sad
snow report
Yep, don't use as a bank. Just a bucket to fill and empty. Works well on that basis
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy