Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question for owners of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@lordf, Long way to go to park your skis.

http://youtube.com/v/basofea2UEs
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
terrygasson wrote:
@robboj, I have one of those locks as well, bought it last season. Easily fits in your pocket, am sure it has a carry bag to keep it in (not anywhere near to check today), not heavy at all either. Though very sturdy!!

Mine didn't come with a carry bag, but maybe that's a new addition this year. Yep, as you say, it's not big. Fits in the palm of your hand. Not heavy either, but I keep mine in my back pack. Only cos I wouldn't want to fall on it with it in my pocket. Could be painful, if on firm ground.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski up, step out, walk in.
Reverse process on way out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I admit the Shrek joke will be lost on anyone without children born since 1990, or anyone without 2 minutes to spare to watch it. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
essex wrote:
Ski up, step out, walk in.
Reverse process on way out.

That's how someone I was skiing with last year ended up skiing from mid-morning coffee stop to gondola off the mountain skiing with someone else's skis. Ski up, step out, walk in/Walk out, step in to skis laying next to hers*, ski away.

* In her defense there was a couple of post-bashing fresh snow and the previous evening may have been one of the larger ones. On the other hand she did comment a few times on how the rental company sticker was starting to peel off her skis and it hadn't been like that the day before. It hadn't been a different shape and had the name of a completely different hire company in a different village on it, or been a different make the day before either, but she didn't spot that till the gondola. Smile 'Owner' of the skis was apparently very angry but hire shop just "No worries, just pop them back and we have your skis here so you can have them back".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We lock ours, for me, it's a bit of a no brainer - £500+ pair of skis each, £20 ski lock.

It'll keep insurance providers happy that you did all that was reasonable, and it stops the quick people just walking past confidently picking up the skis and walking away.

I'll always lock them to something though, not just locked together on the floor or whatever. That way if anyone does try to pinch them they'll make a very obvious blunder and more than likely leave sharpish.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never had them stolen.. yet. But at a well known drinking place above the resort some people thought it fun to rearrange the skis and place them in completely different racks. That was 30 mins of stress.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Awdbugga,
Quote:

terrygasson wrote:

@robboj, I have one of those locks as well, bought it last season. Easily fits in your pocket, am sure it has a carry bag to keep it in (not anywhere near to check today), not heavy at all either. Though very sturdy!!

Mine didn't come with a carry bag, but maybe that's a new addition this year. Yep, as you say, it's not big. Fits in the palm of your hand. Not heavy either, but I keep mine in my back pack. Only cos I wouldn't want to fall on it with it in my pocket. Could be painful, if on firm ground.

just checked my lock and it appears it did not come with a bag, I seem to have used an old goggle/sunglass fabric carry bag!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I don't say it's not effective for you but if locking in one place why not just lock every time? I just CBA to risk assess everywhere I go. It's a matter of seconds and is a habit so I don't have to think about it

In answer to your second question...no idea

my bad - I misread your post. I'd posted that I SPLIT skis in higher risk locations rather than LOCK them in high risk locations. If I carried a lock I guess I'd use it all the time.

On my second question, I'll give you my answer - hardly anyone uses locks because the risk of having your skis nicked is very very low so most people feel it isn't worth the (admittedly minor) hassle
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never locked mine either on the slopes or down in the town. I try to think I'll put them in a place that I can see from my table but in reality I'm not paying that much attention. My skis are all mountain Volkl's. So are the people who are out to steal you skis looking for fancy makes or do they not care?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@FrequentFaller, at the PSBFU2018 (2nd week of December, Tignes) 2 pairs of skis were stolen from outside the Marmottes restaurant, Bellevarde.
Ski access only, different marques of ski but both were mounted with pin bindings so one might assume it was not a case of 'mistaken identity'.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy