Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb 19 Half term drive down - live journey chit chat !

Poster: A snowHead
Aargh. Forgot to book the fri night hotel for the stopover. Clearly not prepared this year
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agreed. Mid afternoon is the worst time to arrive.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We can't check in until 6pm so definitely going to take it easy on the drive down. Rather that then waiting around in the lobby! Although if we pushed it do you think we could squeeze in an afternoon on the bunny slopes? Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No! Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winter boots now on car - 5 days til the off!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Roof box on this afternoon and skis loaded in, roll on Thursday eve
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Super U click-and-collect grocery / booze shopping completed. Collection slot booked at the Vinzier store between 11-12noon in Saturday. Also a good location for mountain fuel. From there we are only 40 mins from Chatel.

Gives us between 4-5 hours to get there from Beaune where we plan to leave by 7 and get breakfast on route. First time trying click-and-collect which will be wornderful if it all goes to plan!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yes, click and collect sounds ideal - it takes hours wandering vaguely round a big supermarket, losing each other and picking up the same things.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @Ozboy, does one need french address or bank account for the click et collect?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Harvamnia, No need for a French address only French landline and mobile numbers which we ‘borrowed’ from a France. There is a payment option to pay upfront or at collection. We chose the former to eliminate any further delays. Used our French debit card without haveing emteeed our address. I have the feeling a UK credit card will work.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 11-02-19 10:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
7.06am shuttle on Friday 15th from Folkestone, planning to overnight at the bottom of the mountain on the way to Morzine. Oh, and it's my birthday. Seems like the weather is set fair, sunny and warm for the next two weeks, so those driving over half-term shouldn't have any weather related issues.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@The_Gate, yes weather looking great and sometimes spring like. These is a great base in PDS so should be perfect. Are you overnighting as you can’t check-in until Sat? As you probably know it’s an easy day trip if in the 7am shuttle. We normally catch the 8:20am and we reach Chatel by around 7pm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ozboy - Yes, we can't check in, but we also went to get up on Saturday morning early to avoid the traffic, pick up our skis and do some light afternoon skiing. This is our first time skiing at half-term, and the weather is a bonus given that hopefully we will be able to eat lunch outside, which should help avert some of the overcrowding that is probable.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just to let you all know, we returned on the 11:38 from Calais tunnel on Saturday (was planning to stay over in Calais but was on a mission!).

The M20 was closed and sat nav was sending us to Maidstone and back along m25, it was pretty busy way even though the time was late.

Also getting through Bourg St Maurice was a 2 hours + delay from 9am onwards! Sad on Saturday morning.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes need to be away and thru BSM before 7am....even more so next week
latest report
By what time can we expect the motorway (A40?) between Dijon and Geneva / Annemasse to start getting heavy on Saturday or is this section generally not an issue? We are hoping to leave Beaune at around 7am and getting breakfast on route. Weather looks good.
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
By what time can we expect the motorway (A40?) between Dijon and Geneva / Annemasse to start getting heavy on Saturday or is this section generally not an issue? We are hoping to leave Beaune at around 7am and getting breakfast on route. Weather looks good.

I would have thought you would be fine, it tends to get busy when the Parisians arrive, and they won't be leaving until they have had an espresso and croissant.
snow conditions
Parisians aren't on half term the same time as us this year. Paris zone C holidays are the following two weeks 23 Feb-> 9 March.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133261

So they'll all be steaming in as we are heading home on the w/e of 23rd/24th.
latest report
Driving from Brussels to Maurach with the family. Pick up from school, shove in car, drive to Stuttgart for an overnight stop then on down into Austria on the Saturday. Should arrive at hotel by 1:00om. Looking forwards to it as first time skiing in six years....
snow conditions
Gazzza wrote:
Parisians aren't on half term the same time as us this year. Paris zone C holidays are the following two weeks 23 Feb-> 9 March.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133261

So they'll all be steaming in as we are heading home on the w/e of 23rd/24th.

I'm hoping that the heavy Brit presence in Chx means that with most UK hols being the week before the Parisians starting their hols on the 23rd wont mean it's 'too' bad in Chx that week (as my daughters half term is later than most).
snow report
Any advice please - driving from Chambery to Les Menuires the morning of Sat 23rd Feb - hoping to be in resort by 9am.
Generally its an hour and 10 mins drive - but - obvioulsy its a 'busy' day - if we were to leave Chambery by 7am would this be early enough to avoid the worst of the traffic??
Thoughts please
snow report
I'd imagine you'll be ok. Last year we overnighted right off the autoroute just North of Lyon (Massieux) and we left there Saturday morning at just gone 6am and I seem to recall being in Courchevel by 9 after a shopping and petrol stop at the Super U just after Moutiers (the petrol station was super busy, transfer buses doing u turns and blocking the car park). Traffic on the autoroute was already heavy but was flowing fine. We had a busy but clear run (no hold ups or queues, and the doofer lanes were clear) to the 3V. An accident or an overnight dump of snow would have scuppered it of course, and with the dense traffic a hold up would have quickly grown into a big delay, so as always the earlier you can stomach leaving the less risk you get snarled up in something.

We're not leaving Guildford area till Friday school kick out this year alas, so I won't have that luxury - we're only getting as far as just past Troyes for our overnighter, so have more of a schlep on the Saturday am. I'd like to leave there at 5, but I'm not sure the family will agree so it may be 6 or 7 and we'll have to suffer whatever traffic has grown. Only saving grace is we are doing the Maurienne valley this year
latest report
Interested to hear if @AndrewBailey found anywhere reasonably convenient/reasonably priced at this late notice? Where did you manage to book ?

I was badgered by my wife about 6-8 weeks ago to get it sorted, by which time our preferred convenient overnight hotel in the Troyes area was already sold out.
snow conditions
@Gazzza, rather than a hotel, we have gone for an AirBnB this year (just south of Dijon). Significantly cheaper (for 5 of us), equally convenient (they provide bedding, towels and breakfast) and we will either take a frozen lasagne to cook there or head out and eat.
latest report
@Gazzza, I booked at Campanile Troyes-Sud a couple of days ago.
snow conditions
@Gazzza, cheers Gazza - fingers crossed I will be having waffles for breakfast in VT!
latest report
The better half is still teaching so once again stuck with half term week . Eye watering flight prices so back to the well honed routine of early evening start of the GB Alpine Rally (now Thursday) after work to tootle down the A1 to Ashford with overnight in TL , early Chunnel start to join the A26-A5-A31-A39 (past the "iron chicken"!) to stop Fri evening at Annemasse then leisurely drive to St Gervais/Megeve , via stopping off at Sallanches Carrefour for victuals for the week. Another Airbnb choice this year . Planks have been serviced , new tyres and chains sorted, ski passes already here and bags packed and ready to chuck in. Happy Days!
snow report
@Bobcat76, I hate people who are so organised and put me to shame Laughing Laughing

And btw we need a TR!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 13-02-19 15:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gazza Booked into a B&B hotel, which actually is a chain hotel like formule1, in Chalons en Champagne. A little far North for some perhaps but I’m solo with kids and leaving London after 5pm. Cost £78 for two rooms. Advantage is they’re open all hours as is a computer on reception. Disadvantage is it’s a box and a bed.

Next step... snow tyres/wheel set on car. And just had to buy a new fixing set for the roof bars as the plastic surrounds have disappeared. And I’ve lost a fixing for the ski rack. This trip is proving very very expensive.

We’re going to be in a black/blue 2002 BMW M5 with a ski rack if anyone sees us and wants to wave.
snow conditions
@Layne, hahaha! It's not so much organised as trying to keep it simple and hoping for the best! Will attempt some updates enroute. White Navarra with a box on the back.
ski holidays
AndrewBailey wrote:
We’re going to be in a black/blue 2002 BMW M5 with a ski rack if anyone sees us and wants to wave.

That’s assuming anyone else can keep up with your DeutscheMuscleCar ?
ski holidays
@Bobcat76, your GB Alpine Rally naming of this mass pilgrimage to snow made me Very Happy However, MrAlways (who has some rally history) is now threatening to put numbers on the side of my car...

Only 10 more hours in the office and one more sleep and we're off!
ski holidays
new to this but reading through it seems most people set off Friday and stay somewhere overnight in France?

We are setting off from near Leeds about 5pm Friday and just driving straight through to Morzine using the ferry Dover-Calais. Is this monumentally stupid?
ski holidays
Leeds, Yorkshire btw not Kent.
ski holidays
@mancski, monumentally brave!
snow report
No not at all driving through the night is a feat of human perservereance that i always look forward to , the roads are quiet there is a comaradarie on the roads amongst the Brits , at the fuel/toilet/coffee stops there is a quick smile a nod of the head acknowledging our fellow travellers , knowing that we will be in resort by 7.00 am or 8.00 am . It does get a bit tiring but as soon as you open the car door and stretch the legs and take a gasp of that Alpine air and youy are fighting fit and ready for a free day on emnpty slopes . Later that afternoon as you are taking a beer in one of the mountainside bars and you see the glow of the tail lights of the miles and miles of traffic , it brings a huge smile to your face .
Drive through the night . Just do it .
snow report
always29 wrote:
@Bobcat76, your GB Alpine Rally naming of this mass pilgrimage to snow made me Very Happy However, MrAlways (who has some rally history) is now threatening to put numbers on the side of my car...

Want Pace-notes. And putting autobox into Sport not Eco mode. Sets watch to event clock time.
snow report
@mancski, we do that from MK. As @gwatts10, says it can be quite tiring but has it's upsides.

Note: don't do half term though, Christmas and when the schools break up in Spring.
snow report
@gwatts10 @layne

thanks both. Should be ok, got 3 drivers so hoping to be in the resort before 9am, strap the skis on and enjoy the empty pistes!
snow report
mancski wrote:
new to this but reading through it seems most people set off Friday and stay somewhere overnight in France?

We are setting off from near Leeds about 5pm Friday and just driving straight through to Morzine using the ferry Dover-Calais. Is this monumentally stupid?

In all honesty if I were in your position I would change the ferry crossing set off at crack of dawn on Friday and try and get to Dijon that night - we can easily manage that from the South East but appreciate you have further to drive and Troyes might be more realistic. I would book an overnight stop even if only sleeping 11 till 5ish get up early and have breakfast at a service station after a couple of hours driving. then the next stop would be the supermarket near the resort. I know there are people on snowheads who drive overnight but they are not all driving as far as you and they might not have driven overnight the first time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy