Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb 19 Half term drive down - live journey chit chat !

Poster: A snowHead
Ingemar_Skidmark wrote:
Something of a queue to leave A39 at Poligny as sat navs process the news about A40!

Might be some Gilets Jaunes at the toll slowing things down too.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be inclined to stick with the motorway. The thing about these clever traffic apps is that they quickly ensure there are equal delays whatever way you go. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A40 is now closed so we are taking a scenic route across to Annecy and La Clusaz, along with a lot of other people.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DJL wrote:
@AndrewBailey, wouldn't it make sense just to hold onto the hire car and pick up yours on the way home at the end of the week?

Yes but the only hire car in Cambrai available that long is tiny.... Oh for fewer children and less luggage.

Good time made - now south of Dijon having a coffee.

Who’s made it? I rejoice in your success.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just stay safe everyone, and let's hope that none of our guys are caught up in that accident. I've driven that route (and through Poligny) so many times - it's very nostalgic reading of your progress. Though I never drove down with half term crowds I drove north when the hordes were heading south a few times - have vivid memories of a "thule of roofboxes" on the other carriageway and miles of south-bound queues at the Reims péage gates. If Annecy is a complete pig it might be worth doing the east bank of the lake. Though the roads will all be well over capacity. Patience....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Still relatively trouble free on the A6 - not looking forward to the final bit...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Currently buggering about the Jura towards Geneva to cut out the A40. No Idea where we are, but very scenic in the 20 degree sunshine!

No traffic queues either.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A few yellow vests at the Albertville roundabout if coming from Ugine. Not stopping traffic just wishing for a honk.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ingemar_Skidmark, when you are presented with two routes down to the lake I'd suggest you go via St Cergue and towards Nyon - that'll take you down to the Lausanne-Gva motorway. The alternative - via Gex - takes you down through a whole lot of very tedious suburbs and endless roundabouts and traffic lights through Ferney Voltaire.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You hit the motorway just north of Nyon - you thus don't go into Nyon itself.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You will need a motorway vignette though. Can be bought in St Cergue IF there is anybody manning the tiny border post there. If half the half term traffic is coming their way they might wake up somebody who normally nods off in a local café to man the border.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Col de la Faucille is the one to avoid - can't remember the name of the right one.... Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Who’s made it? I rejoice in your success

We’ve made it Very Happy
After a very peaceful night (following a night on the noisy motorway aire) we left Albertville about 8am for the final bit to La Plagne Villages - I was surprised how busy the roads were this morning, it took about 1.5 hours to do the thirty something mile.
So got here about 9:30am and got our kit sorted but lift passes didn’t start until 12:30.
We been out all afternoon and just back now and opened a beer.
Hope everyone makes it soon as the sunshine is shining and snow is good (if a bit soft right now).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, thanks, but after a meandering jaunt we are now on an N route south of the A40, blundering towards Annecy. Should be okay from here!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just taken best part of 2 hours to get through Chambery. Wish we'd gone via Grenoble.
snow report
We have made it to Le Grand Bornand even though Mrs S chose the wrong crossing at eurotunnel last night. @spindoctor! Motorhome is plugged in and covered up, ski passes have been bought and we are now enjoying a well earned drink. Looking forward to hitting the slopes tomorrow. ⛷
snow conditions
Waiting in St Martin de Belleville for my sister and family. Left St Quentin at around 8.30/9...sounds like it’s been a dreadful drive down.
snow conditions
Flew in to Grenoble this am and was a fairly horrendous transfer to La Plagne. Roads extremely busy, huge tailbacks. Here now. Weather looks like it is going to be fine all week, maybe a bit too fine.
ski holidays
Made it to Termignon about 19:20 - or 23.5 hours since we left home. We usually stop in an F1 but because I didn't finish work till late we didn't have time. Just making a G&T and then bed.......
snow conditions
Very slow trip from Macon to Vallandry, took around 6-hours, usually 3. Couple of bumps and loads of traffic but generally kept rolling. Got here around 1, abandoned thoughts of skiing and just had gentle faff unpacking.

Early night for ski tomorrow
snow report
Having done half-term for last 12 years, thought I'd take it easy. Ibis budget at Amberieu, last leg to Arc 1950 in the morning. Had to pay toll at Amberieu Crying or Very sad after getting through for nothing twice in December. Glad to have avoided heavy traffic.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
You will need a motorway vignette though. Can be bought in St Cergue IF there is anybody manning the tiny border post there. If half the half term traffic is coming their way they might wake up somebody who normally nods off in a local café to man the border.

If St Cergue is not manned you can get one at a petrol station lower down on the right.
ski holidays
Great following folks progress today! We will be ‘first timers’ at Easter driving into Arcs 1950

Interested to know how long it took people to get from Reims to Bourg St Maurice or that vicinity today.

Google maps reckons 7 hrs to Les Arcs. So I am banking on 8 to 9 with stops
snow report
We got lucky rejoining the A40 picking it up again just as they had reopened it and we got on ahead of the roadblock. Being released further back.

We rolled slowly into La Clusaz just before 6pm, with Bitchin' Betty the Satnav bringing us in the col through Manigod route as the main route was horribly snarled up.

Have setup base camp, kids are asleep and got a beer on the go so all is right with the world...
ski holidays
Quote:

everyone/mainly Brits then insisted on sitting in the outside lane permanently to pass the trucks.

We noticed that a lot this trip - long stretches of unused nearside lane
latest report
Was pretty slow from Lyon onwards into Les Arcs - the sections into Chambery and then to Moutiers were particularly slow.

Reckon overall it took 3 hours longer than I would have expected on a non half term Saturday.

I saw some classic examples of French number plates tailgating inches behind at 90mph + and was cut up spectacularly and then break tested on the road to Lyon.

Quite extraordinary!

Also managed to trash my roof box in a car park misjudgement Mad If I wasn’t stoked for tomorrow I might be quite cross...
latest report
[quote="Spin Doctor"!] Also managed to trash my roof box in a car park misjudgement Mad If I wasn’t stoked for tomorrow I might be quite cross...[/quote]

We've got form for misjudging roof things and car parks - in our case 4 bikes leading to a bent roof bar and the mother of all dents in the old car's roof. Hope your damage is a quick fix.
snow conditions
@altis, if it's any consolation it took us nearly 2 hours to get from grenoble to vaujany....12 hour drive in total from Calais with 2 stops any many bouchons and ralentirs
.. ....still least we could see the mountains for the last couple hours of itp...would do it again on morn if itrant getting this buzz of anticipation of what's in store for next week....gr8 sliding peeps
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@always29, money will have to be thrown at the problem rolling eyes but no damage to the car
snow report
@always29, money will have to be thrown at the problem rolling eyes but no damage to the car
latest report
We are glad we pushed on Friday to Beaune instead of the usual Val Moret. We were rolling by 8am on Saturday and finally arrived at Vinzier to collect groceries from SuperU at 12:30. (Big shout out for SuperU click and collect service - got mostly want we ordered, all packaged in paper bags and was ready making it literally a 10min stop)

The drive on Saturday was very slow south of Macon all the way to Annmasse with a few tailbacks. One petrol stop took 30 mins due to people not being able to use the card payment machine on the pumps and having to go inside to pay. The toll station near Annamase way mayhem with cars trying go therouth the 30kph auto lanes and getting stopped. The stretch of road from Davoinne to Thonon was slow mostly caused by only 3 yellow gilets standing outside a garden Center holding a home made 60 x 30cm cardboard plackard . All in all we were about 75mins on Friday and around 90 mins on Saturday.

We were lucky to be in Chatel as we were having beers on a sunny balcony by 1:30pm.
ski holidays
No delays flowing through at Ugine just a smelt wagon on the train tracks fron Uginezap factory or such. I've seen a few yellow jackets on dashboards but I guess everyone's settled there grievances now. Looks nice up in the mountains on ski Sunday now most folk are settled in Or nearing. Has Noel Edmonds skiing been rated yet?
latest report
hope you all who are lucky enough to be away en-familie this week, have a great time. unfortunately had to pull the plug on our trip this year just before xmas, as I knew I would not be able to get away due to manic work commitments this feb, will make sure I have better plans in place for next year!!!!

may have to start a separate "live journey weekend trips to recycling centre" thread instead Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Must have lucked out on Saturday morning. Left Beaune at 8 and cut across To Nantua motorway. A bit slow up the big hill and a bit of a wait at the services at Bugey for fuel but then across country through Frangy to make Annecy for 11.00 and coffee/shopping stop. No traffic on Talloires side of Lake and limited interest from Gilet Jaunes at Albertville meant we were in Val Cenis up a quiet Maurienne motorway for 2.30. Sunny first day so all is well.
latest report
Quote:

Great following folks progress today! We will be ‘first timers’ at Easter driving into Arcs 1950

Interested to know how long it took people to get from Reims to Bourg St Maurice or that vicinity today.

Google maps reckons 7 hrs to Les Arcs. So I am banking on 8 to 9 with stops

It shouldn't be too bad at Easter. You get a fair bit of Belgian traffic overnight on Good Friday but that's about it. A couple weeks ago I drove down to Les Arcs during the day (usually do it overnight) and from The West Midlands it took us 14 hours door to door (we were very, very lucky with the M25 and the tunnel). It was just over 9 hours from Calais. Rheims is about 2:30 from Calais, so google maps is probably correct.
ski holidays
Question is: where's mancski Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Today's drive down (well it'll be up I guess won't it?!) question - does anyone know of somewhere the kids and us could watch rugby on Saturday evening in Maçon, preferably while eating even if it's just a burger thing?
ski holidays
Farewell Chamonix until the summer. Stopping at Sallanches for snacks and fuel. A relatively painless pack up. Hoping for a reasonably clear run to Arras. Wellington mines tomorrow before Dunkirk ferry.
latest report
Left Termignon about 8:40 and now up hill from Bouchonville (Chambery) speeding towards Lyon. Looks bad going the other way though.
latest report
My lot who are driving back left La Plagne at 5.30 this morning and sent a photo at 11.50 as they were going past the Val
Moret. They are expecting big queues at the tunnel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy