Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb 19 Half term drive down - live journey chit chat !

Poster: A snowHead
@brovert, at what time do you think you will land in France and how many hours driving are you fancying?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flying out of the UK is brutally expensive in the Feb half term, but I’m beginning to feel it’s worth it after reading these stories.....safe travels folks Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ozboy, probably land in France about Midnight local time. Don’t fancy much more than an hour or so the other side. Am an early riser so expect to be up at 6am next day regardless of what time I crash.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the road again at 6.20. Busy but flowing on the motorway.

Just past Dijon. A look on Google maps shows the traffic between Lyon and Chamberry already a heavy blend of orange and red, so we've just opted for the a39 Bourg en Bresse route, so we'll have more options if need be. Might consider cutting cross country across to Chambery.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The satnav has just warned us of an object in the road in 50 km time. I beg to differ, the road is already full object's blocking the way.... and they all have French number plates on Laughing snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 16-02-19 6:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Ibis Hotels at the Calais terminal are very convenient and good value. Depends if you want to get some miles under your belt as well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was pretty busy both ways leaving peissey at 5:30 this morning loads of traffic both ways.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Delay at EStar a manageable 45 mins - Mrs S bungled it at check in and didn’t go for the earlier train. Have threatened no loo breaks and only using She Wee as retaliation. Relations remain cordial between the younger Spins at this stage...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Back on the road again on the flats zbetween reims and troye... Ooh just gone past a sign for a great big lake of Champagne... Did I pack my swimmies?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@brovert, Hotel Ibis Styles in Bethune is less than an hour south of Calais.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hotel Ibis in Cambrai is very nice. Now where can I find a garage that’s open on Saturday?

Ans - you can’t. So insurance is springing for a Renault Scenic. Due back on Weds.

So I’m driving down to Tignes, back to Cambrai, back to Tignes and then home. In a week. Wish me luck.

And the lesson / tighten the wheel nuts double when changing wheels / omitted the second check and two sheered on acceleration / oh and full throttle in second in an M5 shears slightly loose wheel nuts Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gilet jaune at Viry peage on A40. They have taped the barriers open so there are no queues!
Cheery wave and a hoot of the horn Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
... And into stop/start traffic on the A26 about 40m South of Reims...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spindoctor. Hilarious. And I thought this was about traffic and travel not relationships. I’m solo so no wife to deal with, only the three children... who were awesome last night. 8 hours in the car today may change my view.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If delay on A5 bout 30m north of trous...crash...hope it's not a fatality!!....perfect drive weather
snow report
A26 8km tailback...bouchon
ski holidays
Infinite number of Volvos....
*Michael Caine impression* Volvos. Everywhere. Fazands of 'em
snow conditions
What's the collective noun of roof boxes?
ski holidays
@Timberwolf, without wanting to derail the driving thread talking about flights, it’s about £150 return for a flight... see https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137668

Good luck to all drivers!
ski holidays
A supastuft?
latest report
Wife suggests a 'procession'
snow report
I'm suggesting an 'overhead'
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, a Thule of roof boxes.
snow conditions
A reblochon of roof boxes.
ski holidays
@AndrewBailey, wouldn't it make sense just to hold onto the hire car and pick up yours on the way home at the end of the week?
latest report
Finally cleared the traffic chaos of Chambery. Now in the Maurienne valley, virtually deserted, tanking along to supermarket stop.
snow report
We hit the bouchon n of Troyes about 10:30. Still bad and rescue vehicles with overhead lights but no remains. Not yet at Dijon and traffic getting a bit heavier. Should be in Termignon for tea.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
A supastuft?
Very Happy Very Happy

Feeling quite smug about my packing as the only thing on the parcel shelf is one of the boys' school bags. Although my hatred of blocked window does mean 3/4 footwells are a bit supastuft.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Phew, thermometer says 15 degrees. It said -1 this morning.
latest report
An early getaway from Reims but still heavy from chicken services. Still on for 1500 at Cham.
snow report
A40 shut
latest report
Heavy traffic last night A40 into the Arve valley. Stopped at F1 annemasse for overnight then after hearty brekkie of pain and chocolate leisurely drive to sallanches Carrefour food shop diesel and then called into decathalon at passy. Scoped out apartment at above val Joly spa St gervais then tootled up-to contamines for a quick car park snack and grab some piste maps. Now awaiting access. And also it's very hot. T shirts and sunnies a must.
snow report
Shut???
snow report
Yep at Nantua- not moved for 20mins accident
ski holidays
That's not "shut". That's traffic SNAFU wink
ski holidays
It’s shut- to clear accident by first tunnel- some movement now happening
latest report
We’re all wandering up and down hard shoulder- dogs being walked etc!
latest report
Autoroute.fr are showing "Fermeture A40 au km 123 Accident A40 sens Mâcon/Genève km 113"
snow report
Quote:

We’re all wandering up and down hard shoulder- dogs being walked etc!

Good job it's a nice day then!
snow report
Something of a queue to leave A39 at Poligny as sat navs process the news about A40!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy