Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footware

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
thecramps wrote:
Last season we saw an old guy wearing a pair of rear entry boots in the airport waiting to get on our plane.

Was he wearing an all-in-one fartbag too? Shocked

Question is, was he trying to look cool, or save weight in his hold luggage?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In over 4 decades of visiting the Alps in winter there have been several occasions when 'good walking boots were insufficient'. On one of those occasions I had to buy eye-wateringly expensive 'snow boots' in resort. One of those occasions was in La Rosiere at Xmas a few years back.

If I was flying I would now just travel in 'good walking boots' and take crocs for around the chalet/hotel (and they are ok for a quick trip to the hot tub too!). That being said I would also watch the weather forecast and consider where I was going and where my accommodation was located and re-think if very heavy snow was forecast and I knew I had a fair amount of walking to do.

Snow boots; shoe bit needs to be fully waterproof welly type material, and the top ideally only stopping just below the knee, made of water resistant material. You do not want wet feet. Watch that any lacing does not go too low on the shoe bit and has good tongues which wont let snow in. The times I have needed these have been when heavy snow falls quickly and constantly, if you are walking in the deep stuff it can quickly melt on top of shoes and around ankles resulting in wet, and soon very cold feet as one of my grown up offspring found out in Scandinavia earlier this month. Its not like he hadn`t been told he`d just forgotten because Alpine and USA resorts are very good at clearing snow very quickly these days rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CaravanSkier, I know what you mean. When we go to Finland, or even Sweden, where we will be doing much more outside than in the Alps, I wear my 4 season boots if the weather even hints at very cold. (very thin socks on the plane lol)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@thecramps, On my last trip to the US I wore my Crocs on the plane lol. Made going through security easy and was very comfy! But probably not practical for a ski trip when you need all the weight allowance you can get and thus have to wear the 'heavy stuff'!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@crosbie, I think he was just wearing the heavy stuff, because we didn't see him at the baggage collection, so assume he just had hand luggage. It wasn't a once piece, sadly. It was purple though. He was getting some looks from some, but we just thought fair play to him. He could probably out ski us all too. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Last season we saw an old guy wearing a pair of rear entry boots in the airport waiting to get on our plane

Just noticed that our baggage allowance for next week is 15kg. I may well be wearing my boots after all rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CaravanSkier, how were good walking boots insufficient?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Walking shoes, slippers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@CaravanSkier, how were good walking boots insufficient?

The snow was just too deep! Several times I have been in resorts when the snow has come nearly to my knees. Once the snow is deeper than your footwear you are likely to get wet feet which rapidly means very cold feet.

On one occasion in Bavaria back in the 80`s the drifts were hip deep, and we had to go through them to get to shops/restaurants etc, never mind actually getting to the ski lifts, some of which closed due to heavy snow fall rolling eyes Laughing On that occasion you just got wet if you ventured in anywhere remotely warm without having removed all the snow from your clothing. Pretty impossible and even snow boots did not help because of the depth of snow. I remember pouring water out of my 'waterproof' snow boots when getting back to out apartment. It had run down my legs and into the boots.

However, really deep, uncompacted, snow in resorts has become much less frequent over the last decade or two, I`m guessing partly because there has been less snowfall but also because snow management is much more efficient these days.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When going to Finland in Dec/Jan it's my snowboard boots. No more ridiculous at Manchester airport in winter than the Mexico bound flip flop brigade! Easter skiing fleece lined doc Martin s.
Snowboard boots only thing left from a brief flirtation with the dark side. That and a love of Burton clothing. Especially the zip pocket hoodies. Perfect for keeping passports safe and handy in airport
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

Last season we saw an old guy wearing a pair of rear entry boots in the airport waiting to get on our plane

Just noticed that our baggage allowance for next week is 15kg. I may well be wearing my boots after all rolling eyes

I saw a fella in Calgary airport a few years back wearing a waistcoat/vest that came down to mix thigh level. The front was totally covered with really big expanding "bellows" type pockets. I reckon you'd easily get a week's clothes in
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Airport jacket: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/the-airport-jacket-that-promises-to-beat-luggage-fees/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I will be taking my ridiculous yeti snow boots, bought in courchevel at least 15 years ago (in my 20s) on a whim. Wore them in Lapland last year and they were so much warmer than anything provided by the clothing hire places, and that’s without needing to wear socks with them! Also they’re a good conversation starter because I look like I’m half bear half human in them. And I don’t really get to wear them anywhere else! Fortunately I don’t mind being laughed at Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy