Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footware

Poster: A snowHead
When flying, what footware do people take?
Is this different between chalet, hotel, s/c?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure why flying makes a difference, but I generally just wear a pair of shoes. For most resorts you really don't need any more than that (other than ski boots of course) unless there's a serious amount of snow forecast.

Disclaimer: If I'm on a ski holiday then I will usually be in one of 4 places:
1) The apartment
2) The slopes
3) The bar after the slopes
4) The supermarket after the bar but before the apartment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A pair of indoor shoes (hotel or chalet) and some outdoor foot gear, usually my hiking boots these days, as they are light, grippy and waterproof and I think it's useful to have something which will do for walking on snowy paths. I wear them to travel. They'll come in handy on the Birthday Bash, as the last day of my holiday will be spent tramping the streets of Venice, for which comfortable footwear is essential.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I once had a pair of dedicated snow boots...waste of money to warm to travel in, take up to much weight/room in case and very poor ankle support. Pair of waterproof Timberland/walking style of boots which are very comfortable to travel in, if in chalet also take proper slippers (none of that free from hotel crap) and if there is a gym in hotel I take a pair gym/running trainers.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 16-01-19 11:14; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with Hurtle. Wear boots capable of coping with snowy streets which often include big puddles and light indoor shoes/slippers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any trainers with half decent souls (Merrel's personally) for around town. Socks for in the chalet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mjit wrote:
Any trainers with half decent souls

Yeah, I've had some really evil ones in the past snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
or do you mean software for your footwear?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
martinm, Smile

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 16-01-19 17:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends when you are going. Spring skiing at Easter trainers or leather boots normally fine. Other times unless I know the paths are clear then I wear snow boots with good grip, even if my feet do get hot on the plane. I then have slippers/trainers or flip flops for the apartment. Other half wears trail shoes/hiking boots. But hey I like my snow boots, and build outfits around them rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flying, I guess, because of weight restrictions (and also comfort in flight and when lugging stuff around at airports etc).

It depends on the resort and time of year - expected snow on roads/pavements, expected social activities, where I'm staying and eating and temperatures. I generally take and travel in what I wear at home (a pair of flat softish leather lace-up ankle boots - tactical boots - with sturdy vibram soles) and a pair of indoor slippers for the room/apartment and breakfast. If I know it'll be clear and warm in the valley I might swap those for something more casual like Converses (but I would usually have snowboard boots with me as well if I needed a choice better for snow). If going somewhere definitely colder then the tactical boots become Extreme Cold Weather British army boots, and if significantly colder I throw in a sturdier, higher and warmer pair of British army ECW Arctic boots (though they are heavy and wouldn't go as my only pair).
I have a fit problem on normal boots, but civilian versions of the above are doubtless available.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Grizzler, I tend to ‘lug around’ my footwear on my feet Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I normally wear hiking type boots for travelling and switch to snow boots when in resort as they're nice and comfy (and easier to put on...). Probably don't need the hiking boots TBH, although I will this year as having an extended BB so will have a bit more normal walking around.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorrels. Good for noboarding, snow shoeing and visiting the bathrooms on the "Highway Thru Hell".
Can be a bit weird at Heathrow, but if carrying a lot of gear then transported on the feet works best.

I used to use Timberlands which are more flexible, but they're too short for snow use and not insulated enough on the soles when it's cold.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Always surprised when I see people in "trainers" in a ski resorts, it can get blinking cold at night on way home from the boozer !!
ski holidays
I have a pair of quite lightweight hiking boot style snow boots, which I travel in for ease of packing and then use for anything outdoors around the resort that isn’t in ski boots. Essential if you end up leaving boots and skis at a base station rental store / locker.

And then indoor, just one of, depending on style of accommodation, anything from a pair of casual shoes or trainers or a pair of slippers or Birkenstock’s if chalet style.
snow conditions
A pair of Lowa boots around resort, and that's all I take. Wear them on the plane undone, wear them outside, wear them to resort apres; ski boots everywhere else! They're warm and supportive, not sure why you'd need much else unless your hitting some Michelin starred establishments or not skiing much (and there's no snow on the streets)...
snow report
Ski boots and waterproof hiking boots for the nights out.

Hotel - trainers.

Chalet or self catering - North Face tent mules/trainers
snow report
It amuses me how much effort some people put in to their après shoes. You can definitely spot the tourists around here – the locals largely wear skate shoes or fashion-type boots (smooth soles, no grip) unless they are a liftie or otherwise spend a lot of time standing in snow.

Honestly, don't buy anything special for a ski holiday unless you are going to Finland or Alaska or somewhere else fairly extreme. If you live in the UK, you probably have a good pair of shoes or boots that you wear in the rain. Those will be fine. Or hiking boots, or anything with a good sole. If you are in a resort, you probably won't be walking very far, and roads and pavements are usually kept clear.

This is my second winter in Austria, and by all accounts the most extreme in a long time. I have been in and out of town, skiing and hiked up the mountain in the last week, never in anything more substantial than lightweight hiking boots or leather “fashion” boots. Anything else is overkill.
snow report
I only take 1 pair of shoes. My walking boots. Get yourself a decent pair (that you also may want to wear back in the UK as well). Make sure they are comfy and waterproof. Actually picked up mine from TK Maxx and some of the best pair of boots I've had.
Should provide enough grip on the ice and keep the feet warm and dry in the snow. Plus saves on packing space in your hold bag!

We normally stay in chalets, so we just walk around in socks (or slippers if provided). However if staying in hotel, you may want a really lightweight pair of trainers or slip ons.
ski holidays
Snow boots. Unless it's spring and the roads will be clear, then trainers.
Other than that just ski boots and slippers/trainers if sharing a chalet with randoms (who don't know how to leave their footwear at the door). When I head back to Canada it's snow boots & ski boots only as people always take their boots off at the door, no need for anything else.
latest report
GreenDay wrote:
Always surprised when I see people in "trainers" in a ski resorts, it can get blinking cold at night on way home from the boozer !!

Either:
a) The wrong socks.
b) You haven't drunk enough to get matching beer jacket and beer shoes.
snow conditions
Tent mules are just my normal slippers
snow conditions
My Pajar snow boots are the only thing I take. They keep my feet warm, they're grippy for walking around and they look OK for apres/evening. I also take slippers for wearing down to the ski room and back.
snow report
Trainers. Staying in is the new going out. People in their arctic survival boots always make me laff at airports. You're stepping round a few piles of Parisian dog poo not tabbing 40k across the Tundra to slot some foreign jonnies.
latest report
If you simply must take some extra footwear for special occasions - flippy floppies
snow report
A pair of flipflops if I'm going to use a pool, and my walking boots on my feet. I may pack a flat pair of smarter shoes im my bag if we're driving and we're staying in a hotel for dinner. I have a pair of Sorels. Haven't worn them much recently, even last winter when France was snowy, and they stay at our apartment now.
snow report
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I take a pair of Salomon trail running trainers. These are fine most of the time. I take a pair of waterproof socks to wear with them on the occasions when I wish that I had something more water / snow proof.
ski holidays
Been in New Zealand for a month, flip flops are known as Jandles there..........go figure
latest report
Better than South Africa where the preferred term is Thongs. Always disturbing when a SA co-worker starts trying to show his new thong to you.
ski holidays
If I know the weather is fine, trainers or Timberland style boots. That said, I've always taken a pair of rigger boots to resort when staying for any length of time (e.g. a season). Not very stylish, but the soles are really good as designed for slippery platforms on construction sites, they cope with calf deep snow and puddles/slush, and unlike hiking boots they have no laces so are easy to take on and off. Cheap as chips too compared to dedicated snow boots. Warm, and comfortable enough to wear all day (as is the intention). This afternoon, I went for a two hour walk through snowy forest paths, carrying the baby in a sling, in a pair that I have had for nearly ten years.

This sort of thing (although mine are a bit less ugly, with tan leather upper and black Timberland style soles). Just type "rigger boot" into ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DICKIES-SAFETY-LINED-RIGGER-BOOTS-Winter-Warm-Mock-Fur-Lining-Steal-Toe-Tan/111470972882?epid=1612700610&hash=item19f4300fd2:m:myVGGbwSBZCynXL5Zr2eGKA:rk:11:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackrock-Fur-Lined-Safety-Rigger-Work-Boots-Leather-Uppers-Ankle-Kick-Plate/162003935096?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190705%26meid%3Db48d14bee3184cfca00a0ef6571dba35%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D162003935096&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

f:0" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zephyr-ZX60-S3-Cold-Working-Rigger-Safety-Work-Boot-SRC-CI-WRU/253895778357?hash=item3b1d5e2035:m:mAhobPiJqfVvpW0V70f5Acw:rk:5Neh Nehf:0

I'm not in the construction industry, but find their clothing great for ski holidays. I have these in the car: Thinsulate lined, leather work gloves. Great for brushing snow off the car or any general outdoor work that doesn't require much dexterity. Again, £11 for two pairs.

f:0" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pairs-Delta-Plus-Thinsulate-Thermal-Heavy-Duty-Leather-Work-Wear-Rigger-Gloves/151414346972?hash=item2340ff94dc:g:LfIAAOSwPe1UGa-J:rk:7Neh Nehf:0

Anything with "ski" or "snow" before it seems to have a massive mark-up. Tough, waterproof clothing exists for outdoor industries such as construction and farming at a fraction of the cost. Even my new wellies are non-slip, snow rated, steel-toed Dunlops. They were about £40 and make my expensive old Hunters seem flimsy and freezing.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
People in their arctic survival boots always make me laff at airports.

People in fashion faux fur boots and fabric hiking boots also make me chuckle equally when standing around shivering in -20C temps and piles of deep snow.
ski holidays
Grizzler wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
People in their arctic survival boots always make me laff at airports.

People in fashion faux fur boots and fabric hiking boots also make me chuckle equally when standing around shivering in -20C temps and piles of deep snow.

Yeah quite - but why are they standing around - have they not paid for nice warm cozy accommodation? Wear your ski or snowboard boots if you're outside in the snow. Don't get me wrong I love a good laff at yeti foot moon boots and the like but in Europe at least seasonnaires and locals tend to wear normalish footwear because about town in a ski resort isn't an extreme environment. If you have UK hiking boots they are about the most I would consider.
snow conditions
I just wear a decent pair of 3 season Meindl goretex boots (fabric). Never have any problems, waterproof, breathable, warm enough and cool enough, and very comfortable.
ski holidays
Trainers have always been fine for me. The odd time my feet get a little wet but if it's only for one week a year, I can't justify buying footwear especially for that.
ski holidays
@Harry Flashman, I was just admiring similar in Screwfix and as I am about to move full time up to Cham, I probably need something like that.

Otherwise, I am struggling to understand what's so difficult that the combined wisdom of the collective is required?!
snow report
I've been using Salomon Snow Clogs since they came out about 20 years ago.

I understand there's now a wide variety of similar shoes, e.g. Snow Moccasins, etc.
snow conditions
k1orange wrote:

Sometimes boarders wear their boots onto the plane to save weight in their luggage.
snow report
crosbie wrote:
k1orange wrote:

Sometimes boarders wear their boots onto the plane to save weight in their luggage.

Last season we saw an old guy wearing a pair of rear entry boots in the airport waiting to get on our plane.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy