Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What happened over on Epic?

Poster: A snowHead
It's only in pokey British dwellings that partygoers get stuck in the kitchen, where most of them die in the crush. Epicskiers do their ballroom dancing in the bathroom.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DG, Epicskiers go to this ballroom to do their dancing...
http://www.theskishop.co.uk/ski/resorts/Utah/36.jpg

(BTW that's Alta)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, if you can perform the foxtrot on terrain like that, then I take my hat off to you. (geddit?)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, that was almost a Monkchalet-esque piece of humour.

For those fo you unsure about what I was referring to, click on this trail map...
http://www.alta.com/trail.html
...and look at the right hand side, coming down from the top of Mount Baldy. (where I folically fit in)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If hills like that are making your hair fall out, switch the focus from ballroom dancing to skiing - it's easier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin wrote:
How can we help get you through your time of need?

Do u need a dedicated forum? Say "Epicski Refugee Camp"?

Indeed a nice offer, but hopefully not necessary. As long as us Epic folks are checking in here, we may as well join the normal crowd. As I've said before, this is a good site as well.

Jonpim, Thanks for the warm welcome it's much appreciated. BTW, when Epic returns I expect I'll still check in here from time to time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So, who am I, a Snow-Epic-Barking-Bear-Head-Ski?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, to be or not to be...
Maybe I'm just nobody....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't be too hard on yourself.....err.....sorry.....what was your name again? Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Matteo, you're only nobody if the server goes down Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ahr ahr Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK, I don't want to be getting anyone's hopes up, BUT, I got a different error message there now. It was no longer the CGI script error, but a 404 page not found!
This is progress!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not necessarily in the popular sense (advancement), but the rarer sense of simple movement from one state to another is still valid: (P. Monette: "A grim progression towards this ... catastrophe").
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When facing a disaster, the only form of movement to be avoided is a bowel one.
snow conditions
skanky, Laughing

David Goldsmith, it is a sign of activity. And activity means something happened, and that to me is progress, even if it is in a negative direction.
snow report
Now Fox, you know what Bob Barnes says about negative movements.

We only want "offensive" movements. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
MarkXS, it's not a negative movement, just a negative direction, there's a difference!
ski holidays
Aha, I get it. Kind of like how emptying the pint glass is a negative direction that allows for a future positive one. Like another round!
snow report
MarkXS, yes I would, thanks very much. Mine's a Guinness...
snow conditions
Quote:
Hyacinth Bouquet may call them "skoans". Australians call them "skoans" (strooth mate: fancy a skoan?")
But in civilised society they are "skons"

Actually, some australians say skoans, others say skons. It's a fairly large country and the differences in useage are considerable.
The only people I have heard saying "strewth" are Poms putting on a cockney accent which they fondly imagine sounds australian.
snow report
Hi snowant, and welcome to snowHeads.
I'm afraid we Poms think Oz the size of Surrey and full of culture-free rejects from Neighbours.
I'm sure your imitations of us are equally laughable.

Yesterday I found an excellent Australian ski chat forum (I was interested in dry ski slopes), but now I can't find it - seems to have disappeard from History. Can you suggest what I was looking at?
ski holidays
Probably ski.com.au I remember there was a dryslope discussion a while back. It's hard to discuss something you've never seen though! people end up getting very confused.

Australia is about the size of the USA.
snow report
I'm a bit puzzled about epicski's extended absence. It's been a long time now. I have a notion that quite a few of the more casual users will forget to come back.
snow report
It's back!!! Cool
snow conditions
As a public service to snowHeads, and mainly to hit my 500th post, here's a link to the Oz ski forum snowant referred to. Note that there are some parts of the forum open to contributions from non-registered posters. And there are bits not specific to Oz. Someone called WTFH is in there - something about a drinks nite in London. Small World ?????
Seems it's very active and up to date (stuff about Monaco GP for instance). > 8,500 registered members. Worth a look.
latest report
Thanks kuwait_ian, I found the Oz site the other day, then lost it and somehow couldn't find my way back. As you say, it is a lively thriving site, and full of good information (I was interested in Dry Slopes at the time).
And great to hear about Epic.
snow conditions
The other thing is, the Aussies, in their wisdom, call ski.com.au "Snow info" for some reason (think it may have been the original name)
kuwait_ian, is this guy called WTFH witty, intelligent and Irish? snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, I was led to believe he was a bald, guitar-plucking, mountain biking, unemployed, multi forum contributor, excellent skier, limerick salvator, humourist, member of the exclusive 'snowHeads censored posts club' ........... and a quaffer of Caffrey's. That the same bloke ? Wink
snow report
Mountain biking?
Must be my evil twin!

"Excellent Skier"
Don't believe the publicity!

BTW, as a member of that exclusive club, it was interesting to see that the point of my post made it on to "Have I Got News For You" on Friday.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
as a member of that exclusive club, it was interesting to see that the point of my post made it on to "Have I Got News For You" on Friday.
Please explain.
snow conditions
'Exclusive Club' - Both WTFH & I have had posts deleted by the Piste Patrol. We think we are the only 2 so far. A bit of moderation or the profanity filter don't count. Got to get a deletion to join up.
WTFH actually got a whole thread deleted about an ebay auction involving a collection of female undergarments. I assume the story (which was pretty widely squirted around the net) has now made it to the telly. Cool
snow conditions
It was interesting that the deletion was probably for the the woman's sake, whereas the whole auction made the bloke concerned seem like a bit of a sad sack (to say the least).
snow conditions
As the moderator in question, I feel I should comment! A couple of people commented on the thread that they felt that since ebay themselves had removed the item in question then it wasn't appropriate for us to keep it on. I'd been a bit uncomfortable about the thread beforehand and I consulted with Elizabeth B before deleting it.

It may have been preferably to anonymise it (i.e. remove the name of the woman in question), or to allow more discussion of whether or not it was something that should be kept on, but that's Piste Patrolling for you snowHead
ski holidays
I'm not complaining about my post deletion, Ian. It might not have been you but whoever wielded the scissors, I've no problem at all with that.
And personally, I agree you did the right thing with the thread about ebay.

The only mini difficulty with deletions is when other posters make reference to them which are baffling for anyone coming in too late to have seen them.

My overall impression is that the Piste Patrol have remarkably little to do. We are by and large an extremely well-behaved bunch of snowHeads. And we also have moderators prepared to discuss their actions, even after the event when they could stay sub judice. Great. Cool
snow report
kuwait_ian, no 'blame' is attached to anyone for deletion of that thread, and I knew you weren't complaining - just thought it might be a good idea to comment since the thread in question did vanish rather suddenly.

Considerable handwringing goes on in the Pisteurs Cabin about whether acting will lead the snowHeads 'off piste' or whether it is best to just leave something and wait for it to die naturally.

And your impression is correct, snowHeads are all very well behaved and there is very little moderation to do. snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Considerable handwringing goes on
as long as there's no wailing and gnashing of teeth .......... Wink

Perhaps this should be in suggestions / requests but in future (if there any more naughties to be blitzed) if a deletion remark was left behind, rather than a total abracadabra style vanishing act, things could be less confusing for later readers.
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, the basic principle is 'ninja-like deftness' Toofy Grin .
Sometimes, making it obvious that a post has been moderated gives rise to swathes of conversation on the matter so our chosen tack is to make as little fuss as possible.
When we consider moderation, the intention is to err on the side of moderation (that is to say 'not moderating').

If we do completely remove a post, we tend to try to adjust referances to it so as to avoid future confusion but u don't always spot every one and people will insist on remembering stuff and referring to it after it's gone rolling eyes

Your right though, snowHeads are generally a very nice bunch Little Angel
latest report
skanky wrote:
It was interesting that the deletion was probably for the the woman's sake, whereas the whole auction made the bloke concerned seem like a bit of a sad sack (to say the least).

yeah, it wasn't real funny, the guy seemed like he needed help...or a visit from the police.
snow report
Quote:

It was interesting that the deletion was probably for the the woman's sake

It seems not. eBay now prohibit auctions of used underwear, body parts and prescription medication. Anything else goes. Nothing to do with the poor girl's reputation.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy