Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reaching Cortina by train?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - anyone travelled to Cortina by train (and bus shuttle) recently?
I'm getting conflicting info.
Their tourism website and other sources suggest the nearest station is Calalzo Pieve di Cadore.
But when you put that in to a rail journey planner (from the Venice direction) it only offers you a bus (from Ponte Alpi)..
I'm guessing the line is temporarily closed or has recently been permanently closed.
Any info appreciated.
Thanks.
N Neige
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think your best bet is bus direct from airport to cortina. Don't think there are any train stations nearby.

Perhaps these guys can help:

https://www.cortinaexpress.it/orari-inverno-2018-2019/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The rail planner is correct, the line beyond Ponte Nelle Alpi is closed for major maintenance until June 2019 at least. Doesn't change much, as the previous connection from Pieve Di Cadore was already awkward. Shuttle is best, as above.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hire a car, cheaper than the bus at the mo.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks a lot for these.
I do like exploring the Alps by train so happy to do this even if it means a longer transfer.
However, a rail closure obviously changes things a little!
I'm doing a linear trip (on to IBK afterwards) so car hire not ideal.
The Cortina Express sounds good though.
Cheers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A car would make Cortina a lot easier. Its quite spread out
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah, but our hotel is only 2 mins walk from a ski lift (although I appreciate the different ski sectors are not linked).
Also, we're moderately green people.
Prefer car-free holidays if we can, even if a little more hassle!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Neil Neige wrote:
Yeah, but our hotel is only 2 mins walk from a ski lift (although I appreciate the different ski sectors are not linked).
Also, we're moderately green people.
Prefer car-free holidays if we can, even if a little more hassle!

Good for you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Neil Neige, WHen I read this I thought you were a bit late with the request. I think the line from Calalzo Pieve di Cadore to Toblach closed in the 1960s. It is now a beautiful cycle track
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Car is good, but you need to spend a bit to ensure snow tyres out of Venice. Is it Venice or Bergamo? Seemingly a good bus from Venice, well signed when we were there in September. Just need to look and see if this is remotely in line with your flights. What Hotel Neil Neige? We were in the Ambra Cortina in March, around 2 mins from a lift. The hotel was excellent if it was this one.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Acutually you may have to wait a while. In February 2016 the regional governments of The Veneto and Trentino-Alto Adige announced that they are to commission a feasibility study to build a new line between Calalzo, Cortina and Toblach
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There were 350,000 people born worldwide in the past 24 hours.

Another 25 hungry new mouths will have been delivered by the time you read this sentence.

Saving a microgram of carbon dioxide by taking a cr*ppy train that goes nowhere near your intended destination is pointless tokenism.

Rent a car. Turn the heating and stereo up high. Have fun snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The best way if saving your CO2 footprint is to drive down or, better still take the train - mainly through France where the electric trains run on mainly electric power
It leads to an interesting question about eco skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
The best way if saving your CO2 footprint is to drive down or, better still take the train - mainly through France where the electric trains run on mainly electric power .

@cameronphillips2000, I thought electric trains ran entirely on electric power..... NehNeh
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
The best way if saving your CO2 footprint is to drive down or, better still take the train - mainly through France where the electric trains run on mainly electric power .

@cameronphillips2000, I thought electric trains ran entirely on electric power..... NehNeh

So did I. Meant to say nuclear
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy