Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations: mixed ages family skiing Christmas / NY 2019/20

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are considering going on a ski trip (to Europe) with another family over Christmas, or New Year (still TBA). We will be a mixed group...:
Family 1: 2 x adults, 15yo & 9yo. Both adults will be rusty intermediates and both kids never skiied. Older adult hopes to ski but we would like alternative activities (eg pool) in case it isnt possible.
Family 2: 2 x adults, 3year old who has never skiied and a 7yo will have 1 week skiing under their belt

Where can we go where the adults can ski much of the day & have great food / drink options, whilst the kids are looked after and have loads of fun? particularly important for the teenager to have other teens to hang out with and not be treated like a child!
needs: swimming pool, childcare, snow sure resort - so high I guess?
Would like somewhere that is festive and will feel magical for the kids (1 of whom is already upset at the idea of not being home for Christmas!).

Happy to book independently or would consider an all inclusive type of offering. Is a Club Med or Mark Warner etc good value or can I achieve something similar (wraparound type childcare in particular) independently & cheaper?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bump......
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would look at Austria for a chocolate box type resort/village.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go for a resort at a fairly high altitude. The fantastic snow in Austria over the past 2 Christmas’s was I think preceded by some poor snow ones. High altiitude resorts are able to make snow, where mild weather elsewhere hinders this.

Obergurgl
St Christoph
Lech
Zurs
Obertauern
Some French purpose built resorts, at a high altitude.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SirCharles,

Definately check ClubMed - Most of their resorts have "Passworld" for the teens and other kids equivalent for the the 9 year old. Childcare available for the 3 year old.

I think ClubMed is value for money (others don't espcially if they DIY) but it will meet your criteria ref great food/drink options (Fully and I mean FULLY inclusive). Many of the resorts have a pool/sauna/steam room.

The cost includes - Lift pass, ski school (at appropriate level - so advance skier/boarders can just see it as guiding with a few hints included), Flights, transfers, breakfast, lunch, tea, snacks, supper. Drinks from circa 11am including beer and wine with meals (not breakfast!) - if you want Champagne; you will have to pay for that! Skis/boots etc can be hired from CM.

I've not been at Christmas but I do beleive Santa calls Smile

PM me if you want further info (no I don't work for them - but I have been to several of their resorts)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mark Warner used to be good but reports from a friend in Tignes last week say they are now REALLY scrimping on things like food and it's become a total rip off. They said there was only one afternoon cake for 50 guests, the wine at dinner was in glass jugs and absolutely undrinkable and the breakfasts were disgusting. They've also started charging corkage if you bring your own wine.

I'd be surprised if they even have ski hotels much longer.

I've been a loyal Mark Warner customer for many years but will now look elsewhere.

Worth looking at Alpe d'Huez over Christmas - great resort for beginners. I used to go there for Christmas as a teenager with my family and we always had good snow (sometimes several feet of it!). Most major resorts will be fine over Christmas, but Austrian ones are generally more charming than France.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it's either Christmas or New Year I'd always go for the former - it's cheaper but - even more important - less crowded.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We tend to do aosta valley at Christmas, try pila with interski, they have a creche and aosta (where you stay) is a beautiful town.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with @skitrack, ClubMed could be good for you. We went ( a group of 7 families with kids from 4 yr old till 16) went twice to CM for Christmas week ( Tignes in 2017, Aime la Plagne in 2018). There are pluses and minuses of course but generally works well for family groups. Lots of activities and entertainment for kids and teens. Shows and disco every evening. Ski school included for everyone , so all get to ski with age/level groups but then still be together for meals etc. For Christmas there was a Santa this year and presents for all kids and also nativity show that featured live goats and even a horse ( yes inside a CM hotel;). CM are releasing their prices for next season end of January and their early booking discounts can be quite good (they say that early booking rates are only guaranteed for the first three days, but I think the discount stays for much longer)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avoriaz would be a good choice high at 1800 m and pretty snowsure. Good beginners resort and lots of kids around. Traffic free resort.

There is an excellent water park which is considerably more than just a swimming pool.

Good restaurants and there is a bubble lift with a navette down to the town of Morzine if you fancy something different or are having a day off.

It is a purpose built resort but the French as usual have applied some gallic design flair and the buildings don't look like car parks dumped at random.

And of course it is part of the Portes du Soleil which is an enormous mostly inter connected area with 13 separate villages and 500 km of runs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the info. Will do some research but leaning towards CM right now as seems to tick so many boxes!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy