Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British skier dies after fall from chairlift in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Report in French: https://www.randonnees-en-vanoise.com/le-mag/il-meurt-apres-une-chute-de-10-metres-du-telesiege-a-meribel?fbclid=IwAR0gOzvppFidvEGBXtknQbjlYEaEQ2pplHPxZ4LwXx8f36c_TzNRfDjZXQo
Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heart attack and fell off the chair, sad but not a chairlift incident
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And there are worse ways to go - though grim for the amie
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hope that he had a good last run.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Umm, poor chap, but they are not sure if the fall was related to any cardiac problems...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shocked fooook, he wuz my age Shocked . . . Though 10 points fer style Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thats the reason why they do not have hand rails on chairs in the US.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton, Puzzled Why?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In the US ..Ski lifts mainly ascend over trails
. Ski Patrol can get to body dropped on piste below than waiting for chair to get to top....

There was a major lawsuit in 80's because of this ..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Am I being thick here?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Frosty the Snowman, yes..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, I’d have thought the chance of falling off a chairlift with no safety rail was a lot higher than suffering a fatal heart attack (or other life threatening health problem) whilst sitting on a chair lift.

Still don’t understand why some chairlifts in USA have no safety rail. So that makes me stupid too.

RIP.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stanton, so in the US do you get killed by the fall or the heart attack?
Are the medics always at the top of the trails.
I am getting thicker as I get older. Please help.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, ummm, no, not at all, incorrect.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jeff Martin was a giver and someone who has touched onto at least 220,000 lives in a positive way, he deserves a little more respect than some of the posts on this thread.
snow report
I don't think anyone has shown a lack of respect, @DavidYacht.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, some stats for you to peruse...

https://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/CO+TRAMWAY+SAFETY+BOARD+CHAIRLIFT+STATISTICS.pdf

I like “they think he fell asleep” and “boys rough housing on lift”.
snow conditions
Though I haven't read Stanton's comments as I have him on "ignore".
ski holidays
@DavidYacht, disrespect???

@nozawaonsen, it would seem that medical condition falls from chairs are neglible
snow conditions
@DavidYacht, obviously a complete tragedy. Thoughts with his friends and family.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Umm, poor chap, but they are not sure if the fall was related to any cardiac problems...

Yes, I think people are reading too much into the story. He was found in a state of cardio-vascular arrest, well that is normal if you are dead. It is typical rescue worker speak for saying the person was dead when they got to the scene. He was probably killed by the fall, but there is always a possibility that he died on the chair and fell.

When I ride with old people they always have chairlift anxiety and want to lift the barrier hundreds of meters out from the station even if it is a high speed chair where you can lift as you arrive. No wonder some of the old dears fall off now and again. I always keep my foot hard on the barrier so they can't lift it. They should take up cross country or snowshoeing if lifts get them that stressed. Still as the over 60s say "never be more than a blue run from a mountain toilet" so you can maybe understand why they are in a hurry to get going !
snow conditions
He was local to me. Highly regarded in the sailing community.

Very sad.

http://www.laserinternational.org/blog/2019/01/11/eight-bells-jeff-martin/?fbclid=IwAR24PAq0Rhu9KuWh5AFSkP0WIlU1-VpkfNw1UU1DmqIMPHBqoEwFJvckm7c
ski holidays
Now who's reading too much into the story, @davidof? That's pretty disrespectful. All round. Sad

He was 65. A year older than my husband was when he died - sudden cardiac death. I said at the time that for him it was a good way to go. Not so good for me but being "an old dear" I have friends who have died quite dreadful deaths, or have looked after people suffering greatly.

I am a sailor. The skipper of the boat I crew on regularly had a very good friend drop dead whilst sitting on the transom of his launch (they'd been picking up moorings - heavy work) and fall backwards into the sea. That was a good death too, as is son remarked at his funeral - but grim for David who had to get a rope on him and tow him back in to the jetty and contact his wife. I know that David - now 85 - would love to go "out like a light" on his boat - though it would pose a challenge for his two regular crew. We'd cope, though.

There is nothing respectful about a show of faux-sentiment over somebody we don't know.
snow conditions
Nothing respectful either about the adoption of the ghastly American "passing". The people who loved him will not be comforted by the avoidance of "death". Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Loads of folks on here will know him, if not to call him a friend, just very well known. Great guy and well respected for his efforts -- look up the London Olympics if what you just a small look into what he achieved. Most folks under the age of 60 will have started sailing in a laser.

Some stuff here just plain rude.
snow report
@Agenterre, I don't think it matters what anyone did in their life or how a well known figure they were. Every death on the mountain {this is a snow sports forum) is the loss of someone that meant a huge amount to someone.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@Agenterre, I don't think it matters what anyone did in their life or how a well known figure they were. Every death on the mountain {this is a snow sports forum) is the loss of someone that meant a huge amount to someone.

Agreed
ski holidays
Stanton's comments 're no bars on American chairlift is utter tosh

Over the last 15 years ( we ski most years in Utah) chairs have had drop bars added.
Basically yes the older chairs didn't have bars but ALL new chairs do
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
... There is nothing respectful about a show of faux-sentiment over somebody we don't know.

pam w wrote:
...Nothing respectful either about the adoption of the ghastly American "passing". ...

Yes to both of those, there are about 9 billion people in the world and they'll all die. If you're going to be sad about every death, that's going to be a huge downer and I doubt euphemisms will help much.

Agenterre wrote:
Some stuff here just plain rude.

Nonsense.
snow conditions
harvsurrey wrote:
Over the last 15 years ( we ski most years in Utah) chairs have had drop bars added.
Basically yes the older chairs didn't have bars....

There are many older chairs in US ski areas still without safety bars.

harvsurrey wrote:
.... but ALL new chairs do

That may well be true, however many American skiers choose not to use them where fitted. Puzzled
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
harvsurrey wrote:
Basically yes the older chairs didn't have bars....

There are many older chairs in US ski areas still without safety bars.

harvsurrey wrote:
.... but ALL new chairs do

That may well be true, however many American skiers choose not to use them where fitted. Puzzled

Yes there are still lots of older chairs without bars but it goes against Stantons claims. However certainly across the 9 resorts I have experience of 75% now have bars where none did 15 years ago.

I generally don't bother dropping the bar unless there is a child on the lift or someone requests it.
It also means I don't being taller get my head smacked by the idiot who pulls the bar down as HE sits (in europe) which happens alot and is very very annoying
latest report
pam w wrote:
Now who's reading too much into the story, @davidof? That's pretty disrespectful. All round. Sad

We have this wonderful writing device called paragraphs, you'll notice I used two. I'll explain how they work. They let you group a number of phrases or sentences around a subject. So in the first paragraph I discuss the speculation on cause of death, in the second, old folks who want to open safety bars up early (in my extensive career of riding lifts). The link being ski lifts and safety bars; hence the liberty of a single post.
latest report
In places like Alta and Snowbird in Utah Vail and Aspen in Colorado which do have bars on most lifts the locals mostly don't use them.

Which has always seemed strange to me.

I have to say " Do you mind if I put the bar down?"

Even some mums with kids travel up with the bar up.
latest report
Because they are so used to it, I learnt to ski in Utah back in 03 .... first lift with a drop bar I ever rode was 2011 in Europe and to start with having the bar down freaked me out.

About the only lift it would bother me not having a bar is the up and over in Val
latest report
Because they are so used to it, I learnt to ski in Utah back in 03 .... first lift with a drop bar I ever rode was 2011 in Europe and to start with having the bar down freaked me out.

About the only lift it would bother me not having a bar is the up and over in Val
latest report
He was staying at a chalet run by a friend of mine. Pretty grim day for her organising the return of the body, packing his room etc....
ski holidays
Quote:

Pretty grim day for her organising the return of the body, packing his room etc....

Grim for all concerned - but seems hard on her having to organise return of the body. Insurance should see to that? And he wasn't staying alone?
snow report
@pam w, I don't have all the details but they tried to help as much as possible (interpreting, calls etc), not sure who was responsible for what. I was in another one of her chalets at the time..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy