Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accommodation in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to arrange a quick trip to Austria for myself and my father for 24th - 28th January. I thought Austria seemed like the obvious destination given the snow conditions presently.

I'll be skiing, but my father won't be, so I wanted to find some accommodation that's reasonably close to some shops, cafes and restaurants so that's he's got something to do whilst I'm skiing. We're planning to fly into Munich and then grab a car, so are reasonably flexible on destination.

I've never skied in Austria before, so I'm not really familiar with the various resorts. I've looked at St Anton, but there's not much in the way of accommodation available, other than the very expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions of resorts or accommodation in Austria or the surrounding area please? Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Complete assumption, but if you're father isn't skiing, is he quite elderly?

If so, he might find the current snowy/icy streets in pretty much every resort lethally slippery right now...

In terms of resorts with shops that aren't just ski shops, maybe look at Kitzbühel and Schladming. Or a city with skiing like Innsbruck, maybe Feldkirk.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, your assumption is correct - he's a reasonably fit 78. He's got snow boots and foot spikes, so should be fine on snow.

A hotel with lounge and reasonable wifi and he should be fairly comfortable as he enjoys reading.

I've looked at Kitzbühel and that too doesn't appear to have much in the way of availability. What is available is very expensive or some distance from town, neither of which is ideal.

I'll look at Innsbruck and Feldkirk, thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've found plenty of good accommodations around those dates around Soll-Westendorf. You might could do something mid mountain where he could take the gondola to the village, or hang around in a central spot for coffee's etc... like gasthof hockensoll...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schladming is an option, as stated. Also Zell am See, maybe?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also, look on the website of the resort, not booking.com etc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That’s the week of the Hahnenkamm at Kitzbuhel, so it’ll be incredibly expensive and busy. Zell am See and Schladming are good shouts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd head a bit higher if your dad is planning on taking daily constitutionals. Austrian valley towns are quite low and often rainy (innsbruck at the moment), which is fine when your skiing up at 1500m plus but grim if your stuck in it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go to Mayrhofen
Plenty of skiing for you. It is an all year round town so plenty of shops, restaurants and nice cafes etc for your Dad to sit in if he wants. The town isn’t too hilly for him to walk around.
Your Dad can also pop on the train at the station in town and go to other places if he wants. Innsbruck is an hour or so away if he fancied a trip to the city for the day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also you wouldn’t need to hire a car in Munich necessarily for Mayrhofen you could use the Four Seasons taxi service there and back or, get the train from Munich to Jenbach to Mayrhofen.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TDKUK wrote:
I'm trying to arrange a quick trip to Austria for myself and my father for 24th - 28th January. I thought Austria seemed like the obvious destination given the snow conditions presently.

I'll be skiing, but my father won't be, so I wanted to find some accommodation that's reasonably close to some shops, cafes and restaurants so that's he's got something to do whilst I'm skiing. We're planning to fly into Munich and then grab a car, so are reasonably flexible on destination.

I've never skied in Austria before, so I'm not really familiar with the various resorts. I've looked at St Anton, but there's not much in the way of accommodation available, other than the very expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions of resorts or accommodation in Austria or the surrounding area please? Thanks!

Where are you looking for the accommodation? If you are using sites like booking.com or Hotels.com, trivago etc, you will not be getting the correct impression, most of the hotels do not use them and if they do, the prices are inflated. You are better off using the local websites specific for each town. It's quite labour intensive but it is the only way.

Have you considered Innsbruck city itself? There's plenty of easily accessible skiing around the town, loads for your old horse to see and do whilst you're skiing, plenty of hotels, restaurants and grand cafes, and the pavement conditions will likely be safer.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Soll would be a good option. We book accommodation through the Wilder Kaiser web site - we’ll be there that week, self catering in the Dr Goldberger appartments. We also fly into Munich & get the train to Kufstein & post bus to Söll - all very straightforward. It’s a pretty, sociable village with good bus links to neighbouring villages if he wants to explore. Also option for him to get the gondola up the mountain to meet you for lunch. Great snow there this year so good for you too Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sean1967 wrote:
TDKUK wrote:

Where are you looking for the accommodation? If you are using sites like booking.com or Hotels.com, trivago etc, you will not be getting the correct impression, most of the hotels do not use them and if they do, the prices are inflated. You are better off using the local websites specific for each town. It's quite labour intensive but it is the only way.

Have you considered Innsbruck city itself? There's plenty of easily accessible skiing around the town, loads for your old horse to see and do whilst you're skiing, plenty of hotels, restaurants and grand cafes, and the pavement conditions will likely be safer.

I was surprised by your first paragraph, so decided to check out my local area. The local tourist website came up with 27 accommodations, whereas booking.com came up with over 300. The vast majority of the 27 were also on booking.com, but were substantially cheaper on booking.com. Perhaps it varies from country to country. I agree that you can often find cheaper prices than those shown on booking.com, simply by contacting the accommodation directly and quoting the booking.com price. Invariably the accommodation will discount this slightly rather than having to pay a higher amount in commission to booking.com.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austrian Seagull wrote:
sean1967 wrote:
TDKUK wrote:

I was surprised by your first paragraph, so decided to check out my local area. The local tourist website came up with 27 accommodations, whereas booking.com came up with over 300. The vast majority of the 27 were also on booking.com, but were substantially cheaper on booking.com. Perhaps it varies from country to country. I agree that you can often find cheaper prices than those shown on booking.com, simply by contacting the accommodation directly and quoting the booking.com price. Invariably the accommodation will discount this slightly rather than having to pay a higher amount in commission to booking.com.

Where is your local area?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en
ski holidays
TDKUK wrote:

St Johann in Tirol is a proper town, plenty to do. Its own ski area is pleasant but pretty small.
If you have a car it's an easy (20 min) drive to Kitzbuhel, Skiwelt and Ski Circus (700km+).

It tends to be a lot cheaper than its neighbours. You could try to watch the downhill in Kitzbuhel too!
ski holidays
@TDKUK,
Quote:

Schladming is an option, as stated. Also Zell am See, maybe?

Of these i'd go for Zell Am see
More of a nice town to stroll around, plus there's a lovely lake. I'm assuming there's some nice walking to be done although i haven't walked much there.
snow report
@T_Hee, but the skiing is far superior in schladming. I nearly bought a flat in Zell...pleased I didn't in the end. Yes it is quite pretty and has a few shops but that's about it
snow conditions
Definately Zell am see, plenty of bars restaurants shops, wonderful walk around Lake Zell which is beautiful. I am off here yet again in March and I am as excited as the first time I went. You can also jump on the train to other places for next to nothing.
snow conditions
Just a small point, but one downside of Austria, accommodation-wise, for us was that practically everywhere we looked at had "Austrian beds". This wasn't an option for our 17 yo daughter and 14 yo son. Just thought I'd mention it in case you and your dad really like your own personal space Very Happy .
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, yes that's true...but they are separate mattresses in a king size frame and each side has its own bedding. people can sleep top to tail if it bothers them, or mum shares with daughter and dad shares with son
latest report
My 16 year old daughter and her 19 year old brother have no problems with Austrian twin, nor do my 55 year old best pal and I. Not really the end of the world.
latest report
I’m not saying it’s a biggie but something I wanted to point out is all. My kids are also both light and restless sleepers so it just doesn’t work for us. The OP and his dad could be the same.
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, indeed, I was just pointing out what an "Austrian Bed" actually is for those that don't know
ski holidays
wink sorry that came across as snappy.

Back to topic lol
snow report
@bambionskiis, Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks for all the recommendations and info, including the Austrian bed situation! Happy That's not a problem for myself and my father, and I've encountered this before in hotels in Germany.

I've booked a hotel in Mayrhofen for 4 nights from next Thursday - it was a bit more expensive than I'd hoped, but looks very nice and comfortable and the hotel has plenty of facilities for my father whilst I'm out skiing.

We'll be flying into Munich, courtesy of BA and some Avios points I had hanging about, and hiring a car to drive down to Mayrhofen. Transfers were expensive and I didn't fancy all the changes involved in getting the train or taking the bus.

I'm looking forward to it now! Happy
latest report
@TDKUK, great!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[bTDKUK[/b],
Excellent!
Let us know how you get on. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy