Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Louis Business Trip

Poster: A snowHead
I’ll be in St Louis for business in mid February, so was thinking of getting in a few days of skiing in the US whilst over there. There’s not much in the way of good skiing near St Louis, so I’m happy to fly to another city, but the question is where’s best, in terms of snow conditions and accessibility?

I’ve skied the West Coast and Canada before, but that’s a fair way from St Louis. Colorado looks like a reasonable option and I’ve done Steamboat before, but a long drive from the airport on my own isn’t desirable - Steamboat was 5 hours from Denver!

Winter Park in Colorado might be an option and Deer Valley in Utah looks good, although expensive accommodation. I’ve never skied the East Coast, but not sure that’s all that great anyway?

Does anyone have any good suggestions or experience of the two resorts mentioned above please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both should have good skiing.

But you’re against them for different reasons. (Those reasons are valid)

Are you open to other resorts?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I managed days at vail, wp, a basin and a few others when I did a road trip in the rockies, but I kept going back to Loveland. It’s the closest to Denver, usually had great snow, was way, way less corporate than the others and the prices were some of the best in the state. I fell in love with the place, felt like a locals resort And the people were happy to show me the stashes. Work your way over to lift 8, usually empty and get into the trees on the east ropes run as it was great fun! You will need to walk under the i70 to get back to the base and lifts again, but worth doing before lunch or end of day.

Failing that have you thought about taos, New Mexico?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TDKUK, snow access from Salt Lake city is the shortest/easiest and Utah has good snow if awful beer. Plus, you can find cheaper accommodation in SLC or Ogden and have a shot drive or bus ride up the hill. Colorado has more and maybe prettier hills but it is a slog up from Denver Airport and in resort accommodation can be pricy.
I'm at Powder Mountain UT every week (tues-Wed), if you come this way I'll buy you pint. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Masque, And it appears Delta has a direct St. Louis to SLC flight. Combine that with the fact that you have several ski areas within 2 hours of SLC airport, and that's going to be your most efficient option by far which is important if looking to get in just "a few days of skiing in the US". You have several direct flights to Denver too, but more time/hassle to get into the mountains from the Denver airport.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have skied Winter Park, the easiest to get to large ski area from Denver. Loads of skiing but it’s often very cold - a max of -20C on some of our days with a biting wind. The Yanks were buying the heat gels for their hands and feet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've flown from St. Louis to Salt Lake City for a few days skiing in Utah before.

Deer Valley, Park City & the Canyons are all really close to each other, so you can ski DV easily, without having to stay there. The free shuttle buses between the 3 area are frequent and convenient.I found reasonably cheap hostel accommodation in Park City at a place called the Chateau Apres. I've no idea if it still exists. It's pretty basic, the accommodation being a bit like a student hall of residence, but it was in walking distance of the PC lifts, and if you're just looking for somewhere for a few days, it's fine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TDKUK, it's dumping down in St Louis right now and there's the landfill mountain just over the river behind the Pilot truck stop . . . Who says there's no skiing near here wink

Seriously, I had to put the tyre socks on to get to my rest stop Shocked It'll be gone by Monday but right now it is proper snow and just the right time to own a towtruck.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque wrote:
@TDKUK, it's dumping down in St Louis right now and there's the landfill mountain just over the river behind the Pilot truck stop . . . Who says there's no skiing near here wink

Seriously, I had to put the tyre socks on to get to my rest stop Shocked It'll be gone by Monday but right now it is proper snow and just the right time to own a towtruck.

I'd recommend the Utah resorts. Powder Mountain is really nice if there is snow + cat skiing.

Personally, I'm a Park City fan, and you might find a room at an AirBnB, also a Snowbird fan if you're into steep and deep. Spent the last two Christmasses at Snowbird at the Cliff Club. Fabulous.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Utah, SLC. Park City/Canyons for a huge and varied ski area if you just want to so one resort. As others have said, access to Utah skiing is great without hours of driving. The 'Bird is great for off piste and mental (fun) locals - folk in jeans drinking beer in the lift at 10am before dropping huge cliffs. Deer Valley very nice if you fancy a bit of posh. We are staying there in February with my in-laws. The resort itself has great food etc if nice lunches are a must (mid lift station at Snowbird is dire with big queues).

San Francisco/Reno also good for access to Lake Tahoe. Kirkwood on a powder day is somerting else, Squaw the same. Piste skiing, Utah is better (PC/Canyons).

If you have great powder in Canyons, take 999 lift, duck under the rope at the top, walk a couple of minutes and access a lovely, open powder field into trees which is ski paradise. Usual caveats about reading conditions (there can be a big cornice there), not going alone and carrying the proper kit apply.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are plenty of gated double blacks at Snowbird, which are fabulous, especially if there's been a dump.... and if the front side of Park City is too tame, just go up high. Jupiter Bowl is sure thrill the adrenaline seeker.

I grew up skiing Park City, my Dad was Saturday ski patrol, so I know that mountain well.... and would argue with Snowbird lift lines, except for the tram, that can have a line, but I usually just take the Peruvian lift up, it's usually quicker, and it takes you over the back side where there are more lovely hidden gems. I think next year, they're opening up another bowl at Snowbird on the back side. That will be epic.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
6" of fresh in St Louis Madeye-Smiley

EDIT: 12" of fresh Shocked even the bars are closed Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
Are you open to other resorts?

I'm certainly open to other resorts, but easy access from St Louis would be preferable.

Keith3004 wrote:
Failing that have you thought about taos, New Mexico?

I've not considered that, but will have a look - thanks.

Masque wrote:
I'm at Powder Mountain UT every week (tues-Wed), if you come this way I'll buy you pint. snowHead

That's very kind - if I make it out there I'll let you know, thanks!

mr. mike wrote:
@Masque, And it appears Delta has a direct St. Louis to SLC flight. Combine that with the fact that you have several ski areas within 2 hours of SLC airport, and that's going to be your most efficient option by far which is important if looking to get in just "a few days of skiing in the US". You have several direct flights to Denver too, but more time/hassle to get into the mountains from the Denver airport.

Yes, both have direct flights and I could combine it with my flights to and from the UK, either with Delta or United, so that'd work well. At the moment I'm leaning towards Salt Lake City as access to resorts appears to be a bit quicker than Denver, plus I've never skied in Utah before.

Thanks for all the advice - it's very much appreciated!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Acacia I'm currently thinking Park City might be good as I've found a DoubleTree by Hilton and have reserved a room using Hilton points, which is great as that's free accommodation! Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Harry Flashman Thanks for the tip about powder in Canyons. I've skiied Tahoe before and specifically Kirkwood, but didn't want the trip that far out West this time.
snow report
@HeidiAmsterdam Thanks for the heads up - it looks like Park City is going to be the winner.

Now I just need to coordinate with an American friend that's interested in coming along too, which would be great - he just needs to make it back from Singapore in time!
ski holidays
Masque Wow, that looks great - it's just a shame there's not much in the way of mountains around St Louis!

I guess I might not hear from my colleagues on Monday if the snow is still around then. Happy
latest report
Hidden Valley ski resort is less than 1hr away from central St Louis.

Good mom-and-pop resort for a weekend.

Great snow right now.

Stay local.

https://www.hiddenvalleyski.com

ski holidays
TDKUK wrote:
@HeidiAmsterdam Thanks for the heads up - it looks like Park City is going to be the winner.

Now I just need to coordinate with an American friend that's interested in coming along too, which would be great - he just needs to make it back from Singapore in time!

Park City is a real place, a former mining town, not a purpose built resort. That Hilton is pretty much in the center of the 'new park city'. Big grocery store etc, and although you could walk up to the lifts, in ski boots, in snow could wear you out if you aren't a 16 year old athlete. But that's not a problem, because almost every ski bus route passes by there. It has to be the last or second last stop before the base.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy