Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flachau in Salzburger Sportwelt anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
I have often thought about skiing in Flachau in the Salzburger Sportwelt region of Austria. I believe that very few Brits ski there and so I am wondering if anyone here may have been and can give me their thoughts on it please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It gets mentioned quite a bit on here. We will be skiing there when we visit the area in 5 weeks time and can report then... but sure other will come along shortly.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@waitrose, do a search - loads of info. I have a flat in Flachau - what do you want to know?

There are mor and more brits finding it - I saw quite a few over the holidays, more than ever before.

You can correct the spelling of Flachau in the title if you edit your post
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@waitrose, there are several regulars on here, and it’s a great area. Flachau is a nice village, a little strung out along the main road, but with several good restaurants and bars plus clusters around the lifts.

The rest of the area on the pass is worth a visit, and from Flachau the bus to Flachauwinkel and Highport for access to Zauchensee are not to be missed and are probably our favourite areas skiing wise. Search on here for trip reports - mine from our first trip (of about 7-8 ) is at https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139279&highlight=flachau#1139279

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 12-01-19 18:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@waitrose, as holidayloverxx says, there seem to have been a few more Brits there recently. But the majority of winter visitors are German, Danish and Dutch. It's a pleasant village with many hotels and holiday apartments. The ski area is large, joined with Wagrain and St Johann/Alpendorf and other ski areas on the same lift pass are easily reached.

It's an intermediates paradise, nothing spectacularly difficult, but it can get busy during peak weeks on the Flachau side. Very easy to get to, 45 minutes by road from Salzburg airport and directly off the motorway.

Lots of locals in the area, so please ask if you have any specific questions. Holidayloverxx is our local part-resident expert.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lisa Alm can have quite a party. Wagrainer Haus has a good BBQ.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a long time since I was in that region, 1985 I think.
I stayed in the village of St Veit, which gave access via Alpendorf.
It was then, a great place for intermediates.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 to the above. The first place I went skiing was St Johann im Pongau which is part of the same skiing area. I have been back a number of times including staying in Flachau, not recently though. When I have been there were a fair few brits around, a big attraction being the short airport transfer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It’s an easy place to do a DIY trip, Short transfer from Salzburg, no mainstream tour operators. Just booked trip to Wagrain, been there a couple of times before and skiing just right for intermediates. Hoping the current snow will mean good conditions for a while. Flachau slopes busier than Wagrain ones last time we were there 4 years ago.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There’s a lot of red runs on the piste map. My OH likes to be able to get about the places on blues, although she’ll do the odd red.
Is a lot of the area fairly steep?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Drammeister, Flachau itself can be a bit tricky. The top of the mountain is quite steep and has a tricky camber. The only real blue is a track through the trees that cuts across the piste. All 3 home runs are red but you can download. From flachau you can get the lift to the top then get the flying Mozart to middle station to get the glink over to wagrain alpendorf. Loads of cruisey blues. You could also get the bus to flachauwinkl which would be ideal.

I always think Flachau is a great place to stay for the restaurants apres and nightlife....but get out and about to enjoy a wide range of skiing. If you have car you can access endless cruisey blues within 20 to 30 mins on the same pass
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Drammeister, I can rarely tell the difference between red and blue pistes, but I was made aware of this during Christmas week when my youngest sister can to stay for her first real week of skiing. After she had had three days of ski school, we went out hunting easy blues. Flachauwinkl/Kleinarl was perfect for this, plus there are a couple of easy blues in Zauchensee. We also had a day in Mühlbach in very icy conditions and she coped fine with the easy blues there too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@waitrose, and @Drammeister, we have a guesthouse in Radstadt and many of our guests enjoy a ski at Flachau. There are many neighbouring mountains to enjoy as well, you could ski a different place everyday. Flachauwinkl has lovely blue runs, as does Zauchensee, and also our local mountain at Radstadt, there really is a huge choice. Many happy snowHeads have stayed with us and we are always happy to meet some more. HTH. Ange Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone for your comments. Flachau and its surrounding area is now firmly on my bucket list!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@waitrose, is there anything specific you would like to know?
snow conditions
Hi folks. I am off to Flachau with my dad, nephew and eldest son next Tuesday. After a few tips if people can help (I did visit there for 1 day a couple of years ago on an organised trip, but have arranged this myself including flights/apartments/ski hire etc)?!

1. I tried to book the ski pass online, but as we dont have photo cards/id cards, have been told we have to buy them when we arrive. Where do we do this (we are staying near Starjet 1)

2. Anywhere recommended to eat in the village?

3. Where is good to apres? From what I can see - Lisa Alm, Dampfkessel, Hofstadl ?

4. My dad is a first time skier and we will be looking at blues only ideally. As I recall there is a nice blue at the top that cuts across the reds, but as someone mentioned, all the home runs are red. What is meant by you can 'download' - does this mean you can go down in some of the lifts? So can you get down to the base via the Starjet 1 lift for example?

5. Are there shuttle buses from Flachau to Zauchensee?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance!!
ski holidays
@rickyjohn73k Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Quote:

My dad is a first time skier and we will be looking at blues only ideally

And you've signed him up for ski school? They will know where to take a beginner.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@rickyjohn73k Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Quote:

My dad is a first time skier and we will be looking at blues only ideally

And you've signed him up for ski school? They will know where to take a beginner.

Yes he's signed up although has also done some dry slope lessons here in the UK. I am hoping to be able to take him on the blue slopes myself after a couple of days ski school
latest report
@rickyjohn73k,

1. Buy your lift passes at any lift base station.
2 & 3. I'll defer to holidayloverxx on these two!
4. There are a couple of gentle blue runs, but they do not return to the bottom lifts. Download means getting a lift down but AFAIK you can only do so on the Achterjet gondola.Your Dad will go wherever his ski school takes him, they will know the suitable runs.
5. There's a bus from Flachau to Flachauwinkl. Use the Highport lift station to access Zauchensee.
snow report
@queenie pretty please, @rickyjohn73k, 2 and 3: 1: Possruck, 2: Shusterhausl, 3 Zum Holzwurm: 4: Hoagaast - all at the Starjet end and in that order. Alsoi the centre the Flachauerhof which I haven't tried but looks good. Pizza at the WeinStube at the other end, past the MPreis. at the other other end (towards flachauwinkl) there is a fondue restaurant, again not been but intend to. Essgalerie can be good but not always, Jagdhof not bad but has a smoking area. Salzburger good for burgers but slow service. Apres add in the umbrella bar at the bottom of the achterjet (smoky though). There are shuttle busses between the base station lifts but check the times.

Download - you can come down to the valley base stations on the Achterjet gondola and on the Starjet 1 and Space Jet 1 chairs (carry your skis on your lap, 2 people to a chair - the lifties sort it out)

Bus - make sure you are standing in the right side of the road!
snow report
Thanks all, really useful! Very Happy
latest report
@rickyjohn73k, the Ski Amade experts on Snowheads are really helpful and have covered most things here, but I would definitely add the Musistadl for later Apres, if you want a big night out. I also endorse a day in Zauchensee. It's a really good compact ski area for a day and a decent place for less good skiers. Have a great trip.
ski holidays
@EdYarker, oh...musistadl absolutely. Live music every night at 9 on the dot, 3 sets...covers and Austrian cheese. You can eat there but the food isn't all that.
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, You recommended it to me this time last year! It was awesome/ carnage!
latest report
@EdYarker, I am very predicatable!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy