Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SuperMorzine is open until when this season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having only been able to ski one day in SuperMorzine last year in a 'near end of season' week (based in Avoriaz), before they closed it despite masses of snow left (yeah, they have to plan months in advance), I don't want to get caught out again this year.

As far as I can tell, SuperMorzine should be open until Sunday the 14th of April.

However, it may be that while Morzine is officially open until then, various sections of Morzine (and Les Gets) are shut down a week or two earlier as staff and punters reduce.

Does anyone know the precise dates? It's no good to me that Morzine remains open, if SuperMorzine is shut.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I doubt they'll publish a date, it's whenever there's not enough snow, or not enough users, whichever comes soonest. I don't ever remember it staying open 'til the last day though, although since S-M is part of Avoriaz (not Morzine) ski area, the last day is 22/4. So if you're concerned about 14/4 you might be ok. Or you might not wink Blush.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, last season I stayed in the last week in which Morzine & Avoriaz were both officially open, but in the small-print that excluded Super-Morzine, which closed early.

I think this season's low-season/end-of-season fortnight for PdS is the first two weeks of April, with Avoriaz-only staying open another week.

However, given there were plenty of punters and snow last year, SuperMorzine being closed early, was presumably therefore pre-planned?

I'm guessing, given my experience last season, that perhaps SuperMorzine will close on the 7th April, even though Morzine will stay open till the 14th.

So, perhaps my best bet is to visit Avoriaz for the first week in April this year?

I really do like SuperMorzine. It's fab. snowHead

But if SuperMorzine is closed on the 1st April, I will be very, very disappointed. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which is all interesting given the UK Easter hols are all first/second week of April this year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's a link to me whingeing last season: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3222994&highlight=supermorzine#3222994

They close off half of Les Gets even earlier, i.e. Mont Chery.

Pretty sharp practice saying Morzine open till 14th April, and Avoriaz till 21st, without mentioning that various critical sectors (that punters like me look forward to) shut down sooner. All they have to do is be upfront about their sector-closure plans, so folk can plan accordingly. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Even if the S-M is closed the free buses connecting Morzine to the Prodains and Ardent gondolas should still be running - and you're really not missing much on the S-M/Avoriaz link.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@orange, The Easter holidays are 19th (Good Friday) and 22nd (The bank holiday) of April this year
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I meant school holidays - ours are off from the 4th April so looking to ski first week of the 3.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mjit wrote:
Even if the S-M is closed the free buses connecting Morzine to the Prodains and Ardent gondolas should still be running - and you're really not missing much on the S-M/Avoriaz link.

Frankly, I'd rather spend all day on SuperMorzine, than Morzine - that's how much I like it - and how much I'd miss it. So, I don't want to book the first week of April only to find that SuperMorzine is closed on the 1st.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@crosbie, I think there are two things going on:

1. S-M is historically one of the weakest areas in the PdS, being south facing and at just an excellent aspect to absorb all that nice sunlight. So it just doesn't hold up that well. And I suspect it's prone to wind scouring in storms as well.

2. Given those facts, the workers are on fixed term contracts, so a decision has to be made to set a closing date, and that is thereafter more or less immutable.

(3. The French don't care what happens after the half term vacances.)

And, for many people, S-M just isn't that exciting. Better than being on a bus... if it's sunny...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, I appreciate fixed term contracts, planned closing date, etc. I just think it'd be nice if the punter was informed as well as the restaurants and staff.

Perhaps it's a Marmite thing, but I really like Super Morzine, and it is often well covered at the end of a season - even as it is also often muddy.

I have sent an enquiry to the Avoriaz tourist office, and will post what they say here.

All I get from web reasearch is that Morzine is open till 14th, and Avoriaz till 22nd. No-one mentions preceding closures of Mont Chery or SuperMorzine.

If SuperMorzine is closed on the 1st April, I'll book the last week of March. If it's closed on the 7th April, I'll book the first week of April, etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@crosbie, Yeah, I do get your point, but on the grounds that it's usually tricky as heck to actually establish when the "main" resorts are open, or closed, or existing I think you are demanding the impossible of the French PR system.

I have picked my way down that last pitch just above the bubble more times than I'd like to remember.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy