Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie Resort Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm trying to plan something of a last-minute snow holiday for me and my girlfriend in the Alps and was wondering if anyone had some pointers on getting the best value? I've got a bit of experience having spent quite a few weeks boarding in Scotland and Les Deux, but she has none.

Ideally we'd like to be at a glacier for the guaranteed snow but realise this comes a cost.

Does anyone know of any good connecting towns near to major resorts where we could stay to save some money?

We're planning on booking everything individually and may also stay in a air B+B.

I realise I'm asking a lot but anything you think would help is most welcomed Smile

Thanks,
Kieran
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When are you planning on going?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Planning on going next month or march.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doubt you'll have to head to a glacier then, especially if you go next month. I'd choose somewhere less massive, more attractive as it's your gf's first time, and somewhere with lots of nice easy slopes for you to ski together plus decent ski school. Edit - sorry, board!! Madeye-Smiley

Saalbach could suit, or Westendorf which would be slightly cheaper and has access to the whole Skiwelt. When we went to westendorf there were airbnbs around in March.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take a look at Sunweb. Lots of good deals with lift passes inc. If you prefer france over austria, the Maurienne Valley resorts would offer good value for money.
Your not going to need hundreds of Km of Slopes, so there is no point in paying the hefty lift pass price that comes with such thing.

Alternatively, if your flexible, you could find a cheap last minute ski in/ski out catered chalet.http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/ has a few places for early feb for £400 per person
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dr_TobogganMD, for best value, 9 March onwards better than Feb. Less crowded more enjoyable experience, especially for a beginner.

If you do go in Feb then I’d avoid the big French areas and possibly
France altogether.

If beginner taking lessons then I think being based in resort is more convenient than being in a ‘connecting town’.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

or best value, 9 March onwards better than Feb

Yes - though first week of February also OK. There are 4 weeks of French school holidays, best avoided. Some of the best value is in UCPA centres - look at the Action Outdoors website. Some centres have double rooms, which would obviously suit you better than dorms, at a small supplement. Everything except transport is included, including lift pass, gear, tuition and full board. Only extra needed is beer money so you know what you're up against at the outset. For cheapest prices, you can travel by coach - flights will be quite expensive to book now and transfers are an extra cost too. Lots of information on the Action Outdoors website.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="Dr_TobogganMD
Quote:

Ideally we'd like to be at a glacier for the guaranteed snow but realise this comes a cost.

Why do you need a glacier? Austria has enough snow to last through to early summer. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go somewhere like Alpbach. Pretty. Don’t worry about snow cover. It will be there. Especially for your girlfriend if she hasn’t been before. And somewhere like Alpbach may tempt her to keep returning to the slopes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If your girlfriend has never been before March might be a better option. Often less cold and will be less crowded. @JohnHSmith, gives good advice, go for pretty and easish access to slopes (no need for ski in/ski out). There is no knowing if she will love, hate or just be lukewarm about it, so you need to think carefully about the non-sking element of where you are located. A holiday in the snow is not just about the sliding down the mountain (waiting to be flamed rolling eyes ) but the whole experience. That way even if she does not fall in love instantly with sliding down a mountain, she still can fall in love with winter holidays giving you more options for the future.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Cheesie168 is wise. Other fun things could be a winner. Now thinking back to my first winter holiday which was in Zakopane, Poland. Apart from the lessons and mountain time, we did skidoo-ing, a sleigh ride, skating, and drank copious amounts of vodka with friendly people. And it's cheap. I organised all the skiing and extras through Discover Zakopane, a family run company. Zakopane is pretty and fun. Might be worth branching out from the alps - Italy also a good shout for smaller ski areas and other things to do.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about Passo Tonale in the Dolomites? Pretty snow sure, really cheap last minute deals and great for beginners. Plus nice cheap Italian food and drink!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy