Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine to Serre Chevalier transfer suggestions / recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm joining the SOPiB in Serre Chevalier direct from a week in Morzine.

Don't really fancy hiring a car and driving myself as it means cutting the last night short. Train is possible but will take all day.

Back in July I was getting transfer quotes in the 350 to 500 EUR range, but now seem to be looking at 550 eur + Shocked Shocked

Can anyone recommend Morrzine-based transfer companies I could try?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@brokenbetty, I suspect your best bet would be tx to GVA then tx to Serre, if such a thing exists.

Otherwise, Rome2Rio?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think there is a transfer direct from Geneva to Serre Che.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blablacar? The French car sharing site. You never know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's possible to to it with altibus from morzine to a train station (cluses is probably the best) the trains round to briancon. But... It seems to be coming out as 8+ hours just for the train part as the route is round via Lyon and Grenoble. Would certainly be cheaper than the transfers you're quoting, but will take you all day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Transfer to Geneva, train to Grenoble, bus to Serre Chevalier? I guess that would take all day as well but less than Eur 550 I imagine
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or an crazy option, via Italy!. Bus to cluses, train cluses to oulx, then theres a bus link between oulx and briancon via montgenevre. Fastest train link I spotted was 4 hours, then 1 hour for bus.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rcav, not crazy at all.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just hire a car
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nadenoodlee, probably easiest option.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for all the suggestions.

Definitely car hire is fastest, but I'd have to save at least 100GBP for it to be worth the hassle of driving over being driven.

When I was looking at quotes in July, hiring a car in Morzine on the Saturday (cos hire shop closed on Sunday), keeping it for the SOPiB and dropping off at Turin airport was about the same as the private transfer cost.

Now, I can only get one quote for that journey and it's 615 GBP, so almost 100GBP more than the private transfer.

All the other hire sites I've tried say nothing is available.

If I hire just for the Morzine -> SC transfer, where would I drop the car?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depends on the hire company. Morzine only has Europcar
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.goeuro.co.uk/buses_from_geneva_to_grenoble

Can you connect at either end (Morzine Geneva) and (Grenoble Serre) as it's cheap from city to city, most seem like less than £25 one way.

Looks about 2:40 hrs for that leg.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
(Currently thinking private transfer to Annecy, train to Grenoble, transfer coach to SC)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@brokenbetty, how about £58 + hold bag costs for GVA to GNB via Luton?
11.25 Dep GVA, 17.20 arr GNB.
Leaves plenty time for road transfers at either end.

Maybe cheaper and no slower than other options?

You can do one day one way car rentals but in Europe usually very expensive.
snowHead
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
https://www.goeuro.co.uk/buses_from_geneva_to_grenoble

Can you connect at either end (Morzine Geneva) and (Grenoble Serre) as it's cheap from city to city, most seem like less than £25 one way.

Looks about 2:40 hrs for that leg.

Ah ok, this looks like a plan. I can share a transfer to Geneva definitely as everyone else flying home that way on the Sunday. Then I can either get private for coach transfer Grenoble to SC. Might do train rather than coach from Geneva - there's one that takes just over 2 hrs.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@brokenbetty, how about £58 + hold bag costs for GVA to GNB via Luton?
11.25 Dep GVA, 17.20 arr GNB.
Leaves plenty time for road transfers at either end.

Maybe cheaper and no slower than other options?

You can do one day one way car rentals but in Europe usually very expensive.
snowHead

It's a smart option... though I was hoping to be in SC by early afternoon.

The original plan was to get an earlyish pickup (8AM or so) in a private transfer, 4 hrs drive during which I can sleep in the car, and hit the SOPiB a few hours late.

In fact writing that down it still feels like the best plan, I may just have to talk myself into the higher cost and have done. Tend to think the amount we spend to go skiing in the first place means then cutting into the time to save money is missing the point a bit. .... oh dear, I am talking myself into it aren't I?
snow report
@brokenbetty, indeed.

Anyway it seems crazy that flying via England is cheaper than overland in the same country.
ski holidays
Yeah - I am quite shocked at both the increase in transfers and the lack of hire cars. I am wondering if it's the nearness to Brexit driving costs up - certainly on the transfer side they may be pricing in risk of higher petrol prices due to EUR falling vs USD as we approach B-day. Or is this level of increase typical between summer when no one is thinking of skiing, and January when everyone is? I'm normally a last minute booker so this is the first year I've been in a position to compare.
ski holidays
It’s nothing to do with Brexit. The cost of taking a van and driver off for a full day (driver hours) to do a non-standard route isn’t hugely appealing to companies that have slim enough margins on their normal routes.

600€ seems reasonable enough as a private Morzine-GVA is 250ish?

I appreciate 600€ is still a hell of a lot of money
ski holidays
@brokenbetty,
Would it not be easiest to find out who is going to SOPiB in the thread and how they are going, then try and meet up with someone who is going via an easy place to get to from Morzine either airports or M/way?
snow conditions
If you're feeling adventurous and haven't got absurd amounts of luggage you could try hitching. I quite often picked up hitch-hikers when I drove around the Alps - though if you have a vast great ski bag it could be a bit off-putting. My funniest passenger was an overweight and very sweaty and dishevelled ESF instructor who'd been para-gliding and came down somewhere miles from home (it was summer). All his sang-froid had deserted him. Laughing
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
It’s nothing to do with Brexit. The cost of taking a van and driver off for a full day (driver hours) to do a non-standard route isn’t hugely appealing to companies that have slim enough margins on their normal routes.

Sure, but back in July I was getting quotes closer to 400 Euro for the same route and date. I am wondering why the increase.
latest report
Ouibus run direct buses between Geneva and Grenoble airports. And there are multiple shared transfer options from Morzine to Geneva airport and Grenoble airport to Serre Chevalier.

Link them all together and that might only be around €200 (I'm guessing). Hopefully the times / connections make it feasible.

Check the Transfer Table thread sticky in the Resort Reviews subforum for company names and links.
ski holidays
@T Bar, they're all travelling on Saturday - @brokenbetty has a big-girls-night planned for Sat so is travelling Sunday, hence the difficulties.
latest report
I confess the night out has some bearing on why driving myself might be a bad call Laughing
snow report
I have gone for the private transfer.

The public transfer choices would have saved a lot of money but since it's the difference between joining the group on the slopes 1/2 way through day 1 vs not until day 2 I decided private is worth the cost. Hitching is a bit risky, not so much personal safety as not getting lifts where I need to go. Car hire costs even more than the transfer just for the hire, with petrol and tolls on top!

Huge thanks to everyone who made suggestions. Lesson learned for next time is to make the booking in the summer!
snow conditions
admin wrote:
@T Bar, they're all travelling on Saturday - @brokenbetty has a big-girls-night planned for Sat so is travelling Sunday, hence the difficulties.

Ah fair enough
@brokenbetty
Good luck with it
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy