Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots for all day comfort. Impossible?

Poster: A snowHead
I skiied all day yesterday, and by the end of the day it felt like my feet needed amputating. My feet aren't unusually wide or anything like that.

I reckon I'm going to have to buy some boots.

Which are the best brands for allround comfort? Will proper boot socks help? (I currently use my football socks!)

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 4-03-06 15:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moot_point, Go to Lockwoods, come to me? Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Is that your sales pitch?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
moot_point, I wouldn't bother - don't forget your skiing days are numbered now. Save your money and buy an iron and ironing board instead wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moot_point, No, short answer to a complex and subjective question, show me your feet and i'll give you answers. Otherwise work it out yourself, seems you need help? Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Where is Lockwoods?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro, See this: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14039&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The cause is not completely lost.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moot_point, pssst . . . Snowboarding (big comfy slippers)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moot_point, www.Lockwoods.com Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moot_point, do you ski regulary or are these a once a year event ? Are they new ? Are you going to a ski dome regulary or a dry ski slope ?

I started on 1 pair of Salomons I borrowed from a mate but they killed me, I went to intersport and got a better fitting pair of Salomon Verse.

I then found out how to adjust those and have them fitting even better. I dont have that - I need to stop and let the circulation flow thing happen, even when stopping for lunch etc.

I also use Nevica ski socks now - nice n comfy and warm.

wink Watch out for SMALLZOOKEEPER, and the legendary sales pitch, I dont beleive as yet they have had someone attend that all important boot fitting course "how to answer the phone" and as I found out when I went over - sometimes he swans off to commercial gatherings of boot fitters in places more commonly associated with Beer Festivals. The rest of the time he might be trying some piece of equipment out on a mountain, which is quite fortunate from the location of his office at the bottom of the Vallee Blanche lift. If you ask him direct questions he wont answer as he prefers that you might go to his shop and spend the money there Wink. It is rumoured that he is the Deputy Grand Master of the Ancient and Noble Order of Ski Boot Fitters but that is just myth......... Shocked however watch out for the second edition of the Da Vinci code rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
obelix67, That wins you a prize, one day. You may like to try another number. I'll p.m. you. However Deputy? Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
for some reason I have the theme for "the good the bad and the ugly" going on off in my head Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
obelix67, I love being Bad so , i'm not keen on the good, i'm assuming your real ugly? Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
obelix67, Funnly enough, with all the talk of muppets it's no wonder. The guy responsable for 'MANAMANA' was also responable for the 'Good the Bad and the Ugly' theme. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yup, but more of a resident evil presence. Twisted Evil

See on your sig is that the official title of the lift, all I did was drive around Chamonix until you see the big sign with Vallee Blanche on the right - now look at the Intersport on the left hand side - Foot Works sign facing you - assuming I went to the right shop - ha ha ha ha ha - now that would be funny. Confused
snow conditions
moot_point wrote:
Will proper boot socks help? (I currently use my football socks!)

Yes. I had real problems with my boots, and the bootfitter ook one look at my socks (thick ski socks) and told me that was the problem. He sold me a pair of thin ski socks that have selscted padding (ie shins/heel) and that made a world of difference.
snow report
Let us start with the function of the foot, orthotics, volume/flex/shell selection, liner selection and finally the sock, without all before it i'd be surprised if socks changed too much. Little Angel
ski holidays
I find you have to change socks regulary after excercise - pooh Embarassed

Or maybe that is why you are only Deputy ....... Shocked
latest report
moot_point, a boot that fits your foot will be comfortable all day. A boot that fits your foot means that the shell (the plastic part) approximates the shape of your foot closely, so that the liner (the soft part) only serves as a bit of a cushion between the shell and your foot. A real bootfitter will pull out the liner and find a boot that very closely approximates your foot (the good ones look at your feet with socks off, ask you questions about your skiing and preferences, and tell you the two or three boots that will fit you that they carry). A little bit of grinding may be necessary to make them perfect.

If you are extremely fortunate, the fitter may also be an expert in balancing the boots for you (that is, getting you into real physiological neutral while standing in the boots on skis). This takes more work for most folks (usually including a custom footbed, perhaps some more grinding, and perhaps planing of the boots and otherwise changing the angles of the sole relative to your foot).

But, when they're done, not only are you comfortable all day, you will have the maximum enjoyment possible for you together with the minimal required energy for your skill level.

Of course, you don't need to do any of this to have fun skiing. But, the more of it you do, the better your overall experience will be.

As for socks, get ones that wick well (wool or poly, usually). I like the thinnest possible. It turns out that perspiration is one of the greatest causes of cold/wet feet, and most folks think that their boots are leaking, when they're not!
snow report
Quote:

I skiied all day yesterday, and by the end of the day it felt like my feet needed amputating. My feet aren't unusually wide or anything like that.

I reckon I'm going to have to buy some boots.

Bare feet strapped directly to skis? No wonder your feet hurt
snow report
moot_point, are you currently renting boots? It's just from the way you start your post it sounds like you are - in which case buying your own boots from a reputable and honoured bootfitter wink would probably make quite an improvement.

On a slightly different tack, I've found my boots more comfortable as my technique has improved - trying to grip the piste with your toes makes your feet hurt Shocked These days I frequently don't unbuckle my boots for lunch.
latest report
I was told by somone in Courchevel that most of the instructors there wore Salomon X waves because you could wear them all day without noticing. Mind you, he was trying to sell me a pair at the time. He succeeded, and they have been very comfortable for me so far.
ski holidays
richmond, that may be true, but I wonder how much work had to be done to each instructors' boots to get them to fit - it's very rare that in a large group of people everyone will have the same foot shape (perhaps if they are all inter-bred it may occur).
snow report
richmond, Definitely NOT true here! It was the X wave + the podiatrist that gave me all the problems that have been plaguing me for the last 4 years!!!! A huge variety of boots on instructors feet - most bought throught the same shop though!
snow report
richmond, Salomons can be very comfortable for many folks because the liners tend to be fairly thick. However, over time, they tend to pack out and cause the fit to get a bit "roomy". Wink But, again, if the shell fits your foot well, it will all work out. If it doesn't, nothing will really work over time.
latest report
I merely pass on what I was told, with the caveat that I gave. They seem to suit me, so far. They are a tight fit without being as uncomfortable as I would expect. The flex seems to be right for me, as well; I find it much easier to control the skis than I did with my (ludicrously stiff) Langes. It was true that X Waves seemed to be the most popular boot among the instructors (they're quite easy to spot), so far as I could see, but there could be other reasons for that, not least of which may be that the bloke who flogged them to me enjoys a very good reputation as a boot fitter and sells only Salomans and and another brand (Atomic?) (and if I was marketing a boot, I'd make sure that instructors got a decent discount, especially in my 'home' country).

Probably a combination of luck (or good selection of boot for me by the salesman), perhaps aided by the heat moulding of the inner (which wasn't a particularly pleasant experience) and the thick liners. Presumably if the liners do pack down, I can replace them.
snow conditions
I've got a very wide forefoot and it took 4 pairs of boots before I found the right ones. I've had X-Screams for 5 years now and have always been able to wear them all day without undoing them, even for lunch. The buckles can be closed and opened with one finger and I can feel them hugging my foot uniformly all round - bliss! I've not noticed any sign of the liners packing down - still have the pretty much the same buckle settings as when I they were new.

The X-waves are the successor the to X-Scream, I believe.
ski holidays
ssh wrote:
richmond, Salomons can be very comfortable for many folks because the liners tend to be fairly thick. However, over time, they tend to pack out and cause the fit to get a bit "roomy". Wink

I wouldn't say my old Salomon boots were roomy at the end of their life, but I had an estate agent round who measured them up for selling them, and he changed his initial description from "compact and bijous" to "spacious, well proportioned, with high ceilings"...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My feet are pretty wide, and I also find that I can get the support and restraint I need without doing the buckles up very tight. Maybe X waves are a good choice for the wider footed among us (although you don't see many ducks wearing them, so maybe not).

I came across a shop in Kitzbuhel selling 'bespoke' boots; I can't remember the name and although they have a website, I can't find it. I think they are a US company with a Germanic sort of name. They offer a couple of models. It was clear from the price (about $6-800) and their blurb that the boots are not really bespoke at all. They seem to take one of a range of shell sizes and mould an inner to your feet, which doesn't seem to me to be very (any?) different from custom liners or even what Salomon do with their X-waves. Anyone know anything about bespoke ski boots?
ski holidays
richmond, was it Dalbello that they were selling?
ski holidays
richmond, Strolz?
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, hmmm, possibly. I think that the name began with 'D', but they were only offering 2 models in the shop I saw, and I think that they had wire buckles (like old Salomons) at least on the cuff.
snow report
I'm now into my second pair of Xwaves and agree that the fit out of the box is very good, I've never had problems with aches/pains/numbness etc. and only undo the boots at lunch. I don't think it's because the shell is too big, as my personal tech Spyderjon confirmed that the shells are sized about right for my feet.

If the shell size is right, then the liners can't be too thick or I'd not be able to get my feet in snowHead . However they do pack out quite quickly. I ski with my boots fairly tight, a bit more than "finger tight" on the top two especially and have put a booster strap on as well. I used them for about two hours per week for three months at Castleford without having to crank up the buckles very much, but after a full week in resort the packing out became more apparent. After a second week, I'm thinking about trying some Zipfit liners in the near future.

So nice shells, shame about the liners.
ski holidays
Cedric, no, not Strolz, although looks like a similar idea.
ski holidays
richmond, Cedric, The Dale Boot, same thing, drop the guy's at Lockwoods a line, speak to Lee. Little Angel
snow report
moot_point,

I am meant to be on a week's self-enforced 'no snowheads, no caffeine, no alchol' so shouldn't have been even looking, let alone posting BUT just quickly wanted to say that Rossignol Soft 3 work for me with addition of individual heat-moulded footbeds and technical ski socks.

I learnt the hard way by losing my big toe nail a couple of months after my first trip and a similarly agonising boot experience to yours. Go on, treat yourself - you know you want to!

And I've just finished drinking a coffee rolling eyes
snow report
SkiBod, As long as it wasn't Irish...
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
richmond, Cedric, The Dale Boot, same thing, drop the guy's at Lockwoods a line, speak to Lee. Little Angel

That's the chap, thanks. I knew it was a distinctly Germanic name (Adolf Hitler's middle name was Dale, you know).

I'm not after a pair, just interested to know if they're worth the cash and if they are really much different to ordinary boots with custom liners.
snow report
Well, only a very wee dram - do you think that counts?
snow report
SkiBod, if it was a dram, then it was Scottish, and they can't make proper Whiskey... Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy