Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Affordable Resort for Student in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm currently studying near Stuttgart for the year and was hoping on going Skiing between the 9th and 16th of February in Austria, as its more easily reachable by train/bus than France or Italy.
My question is does anyone have any recommendations for resorts that have cheap accommodation for just one person, from looking it seems travel is roughly the same across different resorts I've looked at and passes seem to be in the 240 range for 6 days in all the places I've looked. I'm an intermediate skier who isn't to worried about après ski, but will probably be going alone or with one person.
Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last time I was in Austria, which admittedly was a long time ago, there were some youth hostels - might be some cheap possibilities there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try to look at pensions rather than hotels.
Public transport is decent enough if you dont mind staying out a few km
Snowtrex tend to have austria deals that includes lift passes.
At the end of the day, your flexible can work in your favour for last minute deals
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Squedwardx, cheap accommodation is available if you stay slightly further out from the lifts and take the bus each day, and if apres isn't high on your list then this is likely to work pretty well. From Stuttgart the Arlberg is probably the closest, but it won't be cheap even staying out of town. Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis are probably the more affordable option, and can be reached via Friedrichshafen and St Anton by train for about 6 hours total journey time.

Alternatively, Mayrhofen or something in the SkiWelt (Brixen/Soll/Westendorf) is likely to be affordable, and train access is reasonably good for both - 3.5 hours to Kufstein/Worgl for the SkiWelt then a shortish postbus or taxi ride to the resort or a train if you head for Brixen or Kirchberg, or 4 hours to Mayrhofen via a change in Worgl onto the valley railway.

How about something like this - €189 for the week, breakfast included:

https://www.kitzbueheler-alpen.com/en/westendorf/accommodation/details/private-rooms/haus-petra.html?utm_source=SkiWelt&utm_medium=Unterkuenfte&utm_campaign=SkiWelt&searchType=detail&arrival=09.02.2019&departure=16.02.2019&rooms=1&RoomStay1Adults=1&RoomStay1Children=0&RoomStay1Age1=0&RoomStay1Age2=0&RoomStay1Age3=0&RoomStay1Age4=0&RoomStay2Adults=0&RoomStay2Children=0&RoomStay2Age1=0&RoomStay2Age2=0&RoomStay2Age3=0&RoomStay2Age4=0&RoomStay3Adults=0&RoomStay3Children=0&RoomStay3Age1=0&RoomStay3Age2=0&RoomStay3Age3=0&RoomStay3Age4=0#request
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Squedwardx, the Zillertal valley ski resorts (of which there are several in the valley but the best known one is Mayrhofen) are very easy to get to by train from Germany. Doing an accommodation search on their website for single room B&B shows about 20 places with availability for your week, the cheapest being 238 Euros for the week for a single room ensuite with breakfast in Schwendau (near Zell am Ziller). Use of the Zillertalbahn railway (and skibuses) which runs along the valley as far as Mayrhofen is included in your lift pass.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ousekjarr wrote:
Alternatively, Mayrhofen or something in the SkiWelt (Brixen/Soll/Westendorf) is likely to be affordable, and train access is reasonably good for both - 3.5 hours to Kufstein/Worgl for the SkiWelt then a shortish postbus or taxi ride to the resort or a train if you head for Brixen or Kirchberg, or 4 hours to Mayrhofen via a change in Worgl onto the valley railway.

Just a minor correction to your post, for Mayrhofen (Zillertal) the change is at Jenbach onto the valley railway, not Wörgl.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink, thanks, it's been a while since I did it by train Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Guys. I've been looking at hostels but haven't found much, mainly been looking at snowtrek. But the Zillertal Valley ski resorts look like the right thing. Just wondering what it would be like for a nervous intermediate. Again Thanks for the help!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Squedwardx, the Zillertal Arena area would be ideal, or the rest of the valley is reasonably good. You’ll have a great time
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends how nervous.
There's a pretty good mix all across the Zillertal resorts. It's exactly where I went for my 2nd-3rd weeks.
It's also where I go for weekend trips (more often than not), from Frankfurt.
If going by train, with no transport then that's a pretty handy set of resorts, although many more are closer.
I did look in to doing some of the places near to Bregenz or Bludenz, both easy to get to by train, and much closer, although no idea about bus services to get to the actual ski lifts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Squedwardx, yes I think the Zillertal is the place to go for you. It has both access to lots of skiing (the Post Bus to Hintertux is also free on your Super Zillertal lift pass) and reasonably priced accommodation. The train up and down the valley is also included as are all the ski buses so there’s no wondering if you have to pay or not.

You can access the Zillertal from Jenbach train station.
Zell am Ziller, Kaltenbach and Mayrhofen are all fab places to ski with reasonably priced mountain restaurants and are all year round towns.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Squedwardx, Haus Suzanne has a room available that week (austrian-adventures.com) run by a friendly family of snowheads. There's a direct train from Stuttgart to Radstadt (as part of the Frankfurt to Graz route). Centrally located for Ski Amadé and with fantastic snow this season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't know if this helps. If I was going to Mayrhofen I would normally fly to Innsbruck as its
the nearest airport but have found out theres a cheap bus service from Munich Airport which goes to mayrhofen (and other Austria resorts)
https://www.tirol-taxi.at/en-home
Cheapest option is shared bus eg Munchen- Mayrhofen €96 return
This is cheaper than a transfer from Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bad Gastein is very cheap - tons of students there. Lifts kinda dated!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a youth hostel in Bad Gastein, I wouldn't diss the lifts, have skied every mountain in Gasteinertal and never had a problem with lifts
snow conditions
Have you looked at Stubaital- very close to Innsbrucjk and very good skiing. Regular bus goes from Innsbruck - 2 mains ski areas Schlick 2000 ~1hr on the bus and the Stubai glacier ~3300m.
Both very good ski areas. Cn get Stubai Card that allows free bus travel or its ~8€ innsbruck - to Schlick 2000.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy