Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria : Tonight 40 villages cutoff 1200 military deployed.

Poster: A snowHead
to Tirol ,Nô,Styria & Salzburgland.

Thousands of tourists in lockdown in 40 villages

8 snow related dead(avalanches,etc) in regions ..

Also some missing persons

Experts warn of more victims ........
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In other news: White stuff falls from sky in winter.

I would be thrilled right now to be "on lockdown" in an Austrian village.

(I am, however, sympathetic to the families of anyone killed in an avalanche, especially if they weren't skiing off piste at a time when, you know, the avalanche warning is off the charts)

/grump, as a I face a day of unpleasant work meetings and racing to pick up my kids, make dinner and clean up, with my wife away on a 10-day business trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rather than scaremongering I'd like to point out that it is business as usual in most of Austria. Roads, rail, businesses, schools, airports, ski lifts, most operating normally. Yes there is an unprecedented amount of snow but the infrastructure is coping well. Road closures are due to avalanche danger rather than snow on the road surfaces. Some small towns and villages are currently out of reach due to road closures but helicopters are on standby in case of emergencies. Some high lifts are closed for similar reasons and off-piste is not recommended unless you are with a group and really know what you are doing.

Anyone who is about to come to Austria for a skiing holiday will get lots of fresh snow, and from the middle of next week, hopefully some sunshine too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And the vast majority of Austrian accommodation/ towns / ski villages are in the valley floor rather than up a mountain (as in France)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queenie pretty please wrote:
Rather than scaremongering I'd like to point out that it is business as usual in most of Austria. Roads, rail, businesses, schools, airports, ski lifts, most operating normally. Yes there is an unprecedented amount of snow but the infrastructure is coping well. Road closures are due to avalanche danger rather than snow on the road surfaces. Some small towns and villages are currently out of reach due to road closures but helicopters are on standby in case of emergencies. Some high lifts are closed for similar reasons and off-piste is not recommended unless you are with a group and really know what you are doing.

Anyone who is about to come to Austria for a skiing holiday will get lots of fresh snow, and from the middle of next week, hopefully some sunshine too.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Austria is unsafe place.... Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Stanton. I feel so sorry for those caught up in this. I understand it isn’t an unusual situation particularly, but it still impacts the day-to-day lives of people (hospital visits etc) and may ultimately put off “last minute skiers”, so may affect tourism and therefore the local economy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queenie pretty please wrote:

Good comment, though I would have left out “unprecedented”. Galtur anybody?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Immer-mehr-Opfer/363069934
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ulmerhutte, the article stanton links to does suggest that the snow is "unprecendeted", certainly in terms of avalanche risk. I suspect if you go back 50 years or more there were seasons with similar amounts of snow but it is not been known recently. The tragedy at Galtür does influence a lot of the planning, avalanche risk is taken far more seriously. The issue currently is the level of maximum risk over such a wide area especially as it is not really in the high mountains and so more villages are threatened. As noted above, outside of those places deemed to be at risk the snow is more an inconvenience than anything else, some inevitable travel delays but Austria is used to snow, after all it is why we go there in the winter.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bambionskiis wrote:
Thanks Stanton. I feel so sorry for those caught up in this. I understand it isn’t an unusual situation particularly, but it still impacts the day-to-day lives of people (hospital visits etc) and may ultimately put off “last minute skiers”, so may affect tourism and therefore the local economy.

Not so much from my perspective. In the city most people are fairly blase, without much impact other than clearing the car every morning. Definitely more of an issue in the villages, but still most I've spoken to are either enjoying it or fairly indifferent - other than all the snow shovelling. For 99% of people life has gone on as normal.

The avalanche commissions certainly have a lot to do atm regarding roads. On the tourism side it is/will have the opposite effect - huge base to last right through to spring will bring lots of currently undecided/not yet booked skiers. In the past week perhaps last minute piste skiers might have avoided, but equally lots of powder hounds have been coming for last minute powder chasing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
The avalanche commissions certainly have a lot to do atm regarding roads. On the tourism side it is/will have the opposite effect - huge base to last right through to spring will bring lots of currently undecided/not yet booked skiers. In the past week perhaps last minute piste skiers might have avoided, but equally lots of powder hounds have been coming for last minute powder chasing.

^ definately this. I've a mate who's just booked for next week, another who just cancelled a week in France and is heading up. I'd be joining them if I wasn't heading to Japan............
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
German Army delivering Supplies

http://youtube.com/v/5DQ8-LdYGbA

Good overview from German TV Deutche Welt

http://youtube.com/v/9egIA_etgmc

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 10-01-19 12:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
German Army delivering Supplies

I'm sure they said that on 12 March 1938 Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^^beat me to it!

"schnee-chaos" is a great word!
snow conditions
I remember in Obtauern last year just getting out of the shower when they detonated explosives as part of avalanche management. Frightened the flipping life out of me. It was only then I looked up and saw the “snow catcher” structures (help me out here!) that break up the snow as it’s falling that I worked out what was going on - der. Quite a sobering spectacle.
snow report
@bambionskiis, avalanche fences wink but they don’t break up sliding snow - they hold it in place so it doesn’t slide in the first place (and/or if it does, only parts do and not one gigantic slab in one go)
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
@bambionskiis, avalanche fences wink but they don’t break up sliding snow - they hold it in place so it doesn’t slide in the first place (and/or if it does, only parts do and not one gigantic slab in one go)

Ah right, cheers. clarky.
snow report
Quote:

I would be thrilled right now to be "on lockdown" in an Austrian village

Hmm. Possibly. But it might not be as much fun as you think, especially if you can't go out for a walk, let alone to ski.
snow report
@pam w, +1, having spent most of a week stuck inside in Tignes one year. Epic snow outside but everything closed = no fun.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Hmm. Possibly. But it might not be as much fun as you think, especially if you can't go out for a walk, let alone to ski.

Though in most of the affected villages you could still do both - often it was the roads in/out that were threatened.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

As long as the food and alcohol don't run out I could probably cope with it.
ski holidays
Could you imagine the UK with that amount of snow, complete chaos.
snow report
skitech wrote:
Could you imagine the UK with one hundredth that amount of snow, complete chaos.

FIFY! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The uk record is 60 inches or 5 feet of level snow shared by upper Teesdale in 1947 and the Denbigh Hills I believe in the 1960s (?) and yes it was chaos with drifts over 50 feet!
snow conditions
Of course heavy snow causes chaos in the UK. Unlike towns and cities in alpine areas, our towns and cities are not equipped with huge fleets of expensive snow-clearing plant. I recall one early morning in Albertville after heavy snow seeing half a dozen enormous snowploughs working in the car park outside one of the big shopping malls, with tipper trucks bussing the snow out of town. They were there for the half hour it took me to have breakfast (I was on my way to the Fréjus tunnel). Tax payers would take a dim view of authorities who spent millions on buying and housing machines which would only be needed once in a blue moon. On that morning I had followed a plough down my mountain road and there were loads more ploughs out on the road down to Fréjus.

And traffic levels, of course, are not remotely comparable. Snow round Paris - even fairly small quantities - causes chaos and it doesn't take much snow to close Geneva airport.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Of course heavy snow causes chaos in the UK.
As it does in the Alps. They just have a different definition of 'heavy snow'.
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@pam w, +1, having spent most of a week stuck inside in Tignes one year. Epic snow outside but everything closed = no fun.

I wonder if that was the same week that I too was stuck in Tignes for a week, with little but the free lifts open for well over half the week.....and when other lifts did open, it was usually midday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was stuck in the NEC overnight once when we were filming "The Clothes Show", the snow closed the M42 and all the surrounding roads. We staggered across to the hotel and got a bit tipsy courtesy of the licence payer Toofy Grin
snow conditions
The amount of snow moving kit we saw last week in Austria was amazing. Snowploughs, tractor ploughs, snow choppers on tractors, snow blowers/mowers being dragged out of garages (which reminded me of our own grass mower ubiquity) so it's really no point comparing uk with them.
snow conditions
I am always amazed at most peoples attitude to "being cut off" for a little while(ie. a week or less).

When we moved to the dales it happened a few times, and it was really exciting. Why can't people cope when they run out of milk?
ski holidays
Got to go back to 1979 in the uk for some really significant disruption, measured in weeks closed rather than days, for some roads. snowHead

Back to now, snow still 6 days away for the hills here.
ski holidays
The trains are awesome, they all have a mini snowplough on the front. However at the moment a few train lines in this area (Werfen-Golling, Schladming-Stainach, Saalfelden-Hochfilzen) are closed whilst avalanches are cleared from the lines. We have a brief respite from snowfall today so the ÖBB expects to have these reopened.
snow report
Quote:

Why can't people cope when they run out of milk?

Laughing Because we're all pathetic and soft these days. Can't cope without daily hot showers either.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please,
Quote:

The trains are awesome, they all have a mini snowplough on the front

And if the snow plough isn't sufficient there's always helicopters ... Toofy Grin

youtube.com/v/1w6BY0bE99c
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Because we're all pathetic and soft these days. Can't cope without daily hot showers either.

Well I have to admit, I have a bath every week, even if I don't need one. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@pam w, @thecramps,
Yes, our past used to have so many more interesting smells before baths and showers became fashionable wink

Sounds like all that snow clearing equipment and know how is going to be needed over the next 3 or 4 days in Austria.

Stay safe and enjoy.
snowHead
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Who needs milk as long as we have beer?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Isnt that what CoffeMate is for?

My name is Mr.Egg and I am a hotshowerholic. I cant operate heavy machinery without one.
ski holidays
skitech wrote:
Could you imagine the UK with that amount of snow, complete chaos.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/january-snow-1982-started-snowing-14127091

I remember 82 snow when I was young. Snow was up to my waist. Seemed to last for weeks, being off school & playing in the snow.
I remember we had a CB radio, which was a touch legal to own illegal to use kind of thing.
My parents used to help co-ordinate help & aid thanks to people with appropriate vehicles that could drive in the snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy