Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot fitting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have narrow feet, I love my Fischer boots but seem to be struggling with edging. I fell like my feet slip in the boots. I have moulded foot beds and have tried tightening my boots more but if I do it's agony over the top of my foot. I wonder if my concept of edging is wrong, I try to move my ankles, is the movement supposed to come from more of the whole leg? Maybe I should add that it's a dry slope I'm struggling on, seem ok on snow. Any advice is welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Feel not fell!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your feet are moving inside your boots, they are the wrong size. Whether this is the problem with your edging is another question.....though it won't help.

Your inability to edge could also be down to one or more of the following factors:

- Technique - rather than get a dazzling array of tips on here - you need to have a lesson. There are a variety of ways to put a ski on edge, usually starting with a tilting of the feet/ankles.

- Alignment

- Ski Tuning

- Suitability of the Skis for your ability
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The foot buckles shouldn't be tight - just enough to keep the snow out, not enough to restrict the foot.. The leg buckles should be reasonably tight, tighten the lower leg buckle first, then the upper one.

It's possible they're the wrong shape for you though, but get the buckles right first.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the movement supposed to come from more of the whole leg?

yep. shouldn't have really any ankle or foot movement.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From what I have read and been taught, there are various ways of thinking about edging and how it's initiated, but ultimately your foot will always want to try to tip or roll inwards as you do it. If you have boots which are not giving you the proper grip, hold, stability and support (etc) in the right place then this movement of the foot might be happening more than it should; in theory, the foot, lower leg (connected to the knee, thigh, hip etc) and hard boot shell just all move as one.
It's also a question of how you perceive and feel boot fit (to me, boots are always too loose, ski or other purpose), and if you like a real tight hold feel (as I do) or a looser one. I have a very narrow mid to rear foot, and also a very 'squishy' foot with a flexible and pretty high arch (and other annoying but not pathologically-abnormal foot issues), so I'm told, so it's very hard for me to get a fixed non-moving foot feel even with tight boots and good custom insoles. I also have ankles which love to roll my feet over at the slightest opportunity.
But I have pretty much got an acceptable ski boot feel now, thanks to the right boot choice, a lot of experience and expensive mistakes, and some good bootfitting adjustments. Still not 100%, but feel I have control without my foot slipping and rolling around.
Best advice therefore is firstly to visit a good bootfitter and get things (especially liners, but shells too) checked for fit and adjusted to your desired tightness of feel, without having to over-crank the buckles (which is always bad and usually leads to all sorts of pain, numbness, etc).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You're not going to get a lot of edge grip on a dry slope as there isnt much to "dig" into. However to increase the grip you'll need to weight the outside ski more.

As for boot fit, when you put your boots on, do the lower leg buckle first, then to top one, kick your heel down to move your heel into the heel pocket, tighten the two leg buckles so they are firm. The buckles over the foot shouldnt be tight, their main job is to keep snow out. The fit of the boot should hold your foot firm inside the boot.

With reference to your footbed has it been built up to keep it stable, as a friend had some that werent and has just had new ones (and boots) from Ellis Brigham, he said the difference is amazing, he has big (13) flat narrow feet/ankle. I also had new insoles made at Ellis Brigham and they have taken up any spare room in my Fischers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi,
re: BOOTS
I found out today taht my partner has had the wrong size boots for 5 years, her feet were measured at that time. new boots were purchased today and for anyone in the South I cannot recommend highly enough a shop call Snow Togs In Southampton. Fantastic attention to detail... Hope this may help. Cervinia here we come!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
that
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
your ankle needs to be comfortably locked. if it is your body movements will immediately be conveyed to your skis. the rest is up to you, practice, fitness and tuition.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy