Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Over edging?

Poster: A snowHead
Why does my downhill ski clatter around when I'm skiing on a steep icy piste? Am i over edging it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@marodo2712, It's just down to the characteristics of the ski you have compared to the conditions. When you say "over edging it", what do you mean?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pressure, stiffness of ski, technique.

I once bounced my downhill ski off after rather aggressively putting in a turn on a steep piste. Earlier edge change helps. Smooth helps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@marodo2712, what do you mean? Is the shovel of the ski moving laterally to and fro or is the shovel of the ski flapping up and down on the snow?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski too stiff to flex around the turn??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try:

- Being subtle with the way you apply edge and pressure.

- Concentrating on not tensing up and keeping legs "soft" and relaxed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On clinics with Snoworks and others of repute, we were advised to ski over ice / icy patches pistes with feel, to relax, using gentle movements and the ubiquitous balance. In my experience that puts you in control and takes away clatter etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marodo2712 wrote:
Why does my downhill ski clatter around when I'm skiing on a steep icy piste? Am i over edging it?
Too much pressure, so the ski grips then breaks through the grip and releases, then grips, then releases, etc, leading to that characteristic 'chatter'. You could add more edge to gain a bit more grip so the ski doesn't;t break away, soften your legs a little rather than bracing against the ski to absorb a little pressure, or open up your turn radius to reduce pressure.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try bringing downhill knee into body instead of applying pressure by pushing on downhilll ski.

Nothing wrong with some smooth side slip on a very steep hard slope.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ozboy, that’s top advice and the one to take from this thread.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
By 'over edging' i mean the angle between the hill and the base of the ski being too high (80° for example) causing it to bite too much, and maybe reducing it to 70° might make it smoother (i didn't get my protracter out).

I noticed it on my left leg (flat footed) that causes more pressure on the inside edge of that ski, i consciously opened up my left leg a little bit which caused the clattering/jumpping/stuttering to greatly reduce, so i pressumed it must be down to the angle being too great.

Anyway, rhanks for all the advice,which i will try out today (day 6 Sad )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What sort of skis are you on? Presume the pistes are hard?

My experience is that this sort of chatter comes when you are trying to make pure carved turns on hard snow but don't get up on to the new edge smoothly and powerfully enough - you try to set the edge without getting the powerful hip angulation that can make it bite. It is much more of a problem with wider skis than pure pistes skis because it is harder to smoothly roll onto the edge when that edge is displaced further from your boot centre - have to fully commit AND be delicate about it. This is a technical AND psychological challenge when you know you will be on your backside if you don't get it right.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster, brand new rosignol 156. I'm really not happy on ice and tend to side-slip to a hocky stop then point down the hill to do it the other way - it's not pretty and probably doesn't qualify as actual skiing!

I just wondered if it had something to do with a flat left foot, as it only happens when i traverse to the right.

Last two hours on the snow then back to reality....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@marodo2712,

Ah OK your at an earlier stage in your skiing.
Your problem is that you are edging without applying enough pressure to the edge. You simply won't be able to hold an edge on hard snow until you can develop your skiing more on easier terrain/conditions - separating upper body and low body to balance over that edge. Until you can do that then you need to be controlling your pivoting and sliding on hard snow rather than attempting to hold the edge.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jedster, thanks.
ski holidays
One way to ski an icy piste....though depends on how icy and how steep....Is to assess the slope before you start and see where the areas of loose snow are placed (that have been been sprayed out sideways, by other people skidding and trying to get control). These are the places where you can get enough purchase to check and remove speed.

Between these areas, just don't fight it, twist your feet to turn, without trying to slow down......then when you reach another of these softer piles, check again and remove the speed.

(It's too late for you now, anyway....but maybe something to try on your next Hol.)
ski holidays
Just relax and BE at one with the ski!

#ZenSkiing Cool
snow report
AL9000 wrote:
Just relax and BE at one with the ski!

#ZenSkiing Cool

I tried that, but got it slightly wrong......I ended up BEing on one ski, with the other stuck 100 yds above me. Sad
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, OK..fair point...BE at one with the skis! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
[/quote][quote]@marodo2712, as above, it's not the angle it's the relaxation and the fine twitch muscle responses that keep an edge engaged on ice. Sadly it's not it but you that's in need of some training and exercise . . . .

Don't get me wrong, we ALL balls it up more frequently than we'd admit to wink There are probably a number of issues you need to address but the first is, you need to learn how to REALLY relax and absorb your ski's movement. It's lesson time Cool

Eden it fer sodding predictive txt.
snow report
When was the skis last tune? How sharp are the edges?
ski holidays
Edges are not needed in POW..

Edges are for carpet skiers..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy