Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I get off piste practice?

Poster: A snowHead
@RobinS, I will have them. I can rent them from the place I'm getting my skis. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@conor90, you also need to know and practice how to use them...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lot of Brits and Europeans struggle with offpiste because Alpine snow is a bit cr*p.

The European Alps are close to the warm Atlantic and even warmer Med.

The Alps are relatively far south and also get a lot of sun.

Traffic is high and any good powda is chopped up before lunch.

* Warm sea + strong sun + high traffic = wet snow + porridge + crust.

Beginner offpisters, who only ski 1-2 weeks a year and want to get good, should visit better mountain ranges with drier, colder or deeper snow, like Utah, Wyoming or Hokkaido.

You can ski good offpiste for days on end there.

Europe = porridge.
US / Japan = powder.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
Lavancher bowl equally. If they've opened it, all but far skiers' left should be pretty safe, esp. as much is above pistes.

Erm, but did you see the size of the slide in the Lavancher bowl before Christmas?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great thread this... Class!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Whitegold, yep, you'll struggle to stay up with skiers accustomed to 'variable conditions' if you're mainly used to skiing Utah 'powda'. But if you get out of your comfort zone, your skiing will improve.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The SCGB, off-piste, Instructor Led Guiding is incredibly good value - Members £20 half day / £35 full day (non members £40 half day / £70 full day) https://www.skiclub.co.uk/instructor-led-guiding . They currently run sessions in France: Argentière, Avoriaz, Courchevel, Flaine, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Les Deux Alpes, Méribel, Tignes, Val d’Isère and Val Thorens Austria: St Anton . They also rent out transceivers; shovels and probes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@midgetbiker, I didn’t. Haven’t been up GMs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@conor90, ok I'm up in Chamonix and skied today after the recent snowfall.

We skied Flégère this morning and La Tour this afternoon.

Game plan was to be at the lift at 09:00 but faffing etc and we were not in the queue till 09:20 and still not on the actual lift till 10:10 I think - what happens when you ski with non powder hounds, they just don't get it. If we'd been there at 08:30 as I would normally have aimed for we would have scored 2hrs of untracked.

However, the point to this post is that Flégère offers ample safe inter off-piste, and you can push yourself without any real danger.

The only issue was by Noon it was quite tracked out.

Then we went to La Tour and again very similar to Flégère and not so tracked out even by the time we came back down.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, Nice one, thanks.

I was out with SCGB doing a morning Instructor Lead Guiding. We were in les Grands Montets - tracked out quickly but the snow was superb. I've never skiied in snow like it (very limited experience though). However, I was the one holding up the back of the group. It was supposed to be Intro to Off Piste but the others in the group seemed to me like good off piste skiers - definitely not beginners. Good experience none the less - nothing like being thrown in at the deep end. A lot more practice needed but that's why I'm doing this trip.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@conor90, well done
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can give out a little secret regarding solo off-piste skiing. Twisted Evil

It's no longer available in the Alps because the Alps are saturated with thousands of grommets who hike up before sunrise, before the lifts are open, etc.

However, there is still oodles of un-tracked off-piste available for many hours after every dump, if you visit The Pyrenees. That's because the Pyrenees doesn't attract the experts, but the beginners, intermediates, families, aged/infirm, etc.

Moreover, the Pyrenees actually gets more snow than the Alps, but due to elevation and climate, doesn't keep it quite so well.

So, if you want to practice off-piste, whilst remaining relatively close to the piste, The Pyrenees is where you can still do so - enjoying a leisurely breakfast, without rushing for the first lift, yet finding plenty of virginal powder after an overnight snowfall.

You can thank me next season. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@crosbie, I love the Pyrenees but have you got any stats to back this up?

Quote:

the Pyrenees actually gets more snow than the Alps
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
leggyblonde wrote:
@crosbie, I love the Pyrenees but have you got any stats to back this up?

"The Pyrenees receive more snow than the Alps, albeit with slightly milder winter"

http://foothillsoffrance.com/our-area/skiing-in-the-pyrenees/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@crosbie, hmmmm,no stats there just an article written by someone with a pro-Pyrenees agenda.

Whereas if I compare say, Superbagneres with Flaine (both similar elevations), Flaine has got more snow every year:

https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/pyrenees/luchon-superbagneres/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2015

https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/flaine/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2015
ski holidays
leggyblonde wrote:
@crosbie, hmmmm,no stats there just an article written by someone with a pro-Pyrenees agenda.

The point is, The Pyrenees gets more snowfall - which isn't the same as depth/accumulation.

I wouldn't even begin to start comparing a Pyrenean resort to an Alpine one. It's like comparing Scottish resorts to Pyrenean ones.

As I sometimes say, "One goes chairlifting in the Pyrenees, and skiing in the Alps"
snow report
@crosbie, The Pyrenees doesn't though. My links show snowfall as well as accumulation.

The Pyrenees has very good skiing, including off-piste but to say that they get more snow is just factually incorrect.
snow report
leggyblonde wrote:
The Pyrenees has very good skiing, including off-piste but to say that they get more snow is just factually incorrect.

I think the claim is that The Pyrenees gets more snowfall than The Alps across the entirety of the mountain range per square metre.

It will be very easy (as you demonstrated) to find a pair of specific resorts that differ otherwise.
ski holidays
Hey Folks just adding to this totally agree @Inboard, get Bruce Goodlad’s excellent book about ski touring. Also grab a guide book describing the off piste routes and logistics involved around the Mt BLanc valley area. "Mt Blanc Off Piste" is the one I use. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mont-Blanc-Off-Piste-Chamonix-Courmayeur-Contamines/dp/2910672166?tag=amz07b-21
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy