Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Would be very grateful for any help with this!!
My husband and I are planning on going to Canada for 3 weeks of skiing in March - early to end of March. So far we have planned on going to Whistler - but not yet booked it.

We are keen to do 2 weeks of lessons - mainly on piste group lessons, but potentially a bit of off piste as well.

Can anyone give advice on the best cost effective group ski lessons in Whistler ?

Also in terms of accommodation, we would be looking for as cheap as possible as we are on a real budget. I have had a look at Air Bnb but it isn't actually that cheap so any other ideas would be great.

Finally, we are going to be travelling before getting to Canada in South America, so we are thinking of shipping a suitcase with our ski gear (boots, clothing) out to Canada so that we have our own things, and do not need to rent. Can anyone recommend a good suitcase transfer company?

Many thanks in advance, laura
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Max 4 group lessons are good and you might want to try the 4-day Camp (Mon-Thurs) one week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For the cheaper accommodation for that period check out creek side
As above the max 4 lessons / the camp are the best value
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you all. And with regards to staying to other resorts.. we are not set on Whistler, but we are flying to Vancouver, would you recommend other resorts that are cheaper? We had thought of Whistler because it is probably going to be our only trip to Canada and it is obviously highly rated, but I am concerned about the cost.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@laurabaker, sun peaks is the next biggest thing in bc and definitely cheaper , otherwise its further inland to big white / Revelstoke or similar , lots of good value options in the smaller interior resorts , but involves long transfers from Vancouver
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
you cpould try these for ski gear shipping..

https://www.luggagemule.co.uk/international-luggage-shipping/ship-to-north-america/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for all this.
We are mainly keen to do 2 weeks of ski lessons (ski improver/ with some off piste) so I am looking at resorts that do this in particular.
I have found the company Yes improvement whistler, but there is also alltracks and nonstop.

Does anyone know of any other improver ski courses in Canadian ski resorts that are worth a look (unfortauntely none of the above quite work with our dates)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also lots of the ski improver courses offer combined accommodation / lift pass/ lessons. Do you think this is the most economical ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laurabaker wrote:
Also lots of the ski improver courses offer combined accommodation / lift pass/ lessons. Do you think this is the most economical ?

Daughter did a Yes instructor course and they were good.
Yes there package would probably work out cheaper as they have long term rental property they use and they bought the pass up front.

Whistler is not cheap and you have missed the discounted ski passes for this season too as they go up to full price in November. Hence getting them in a package could be a good plan. The good news is the CAD$ is not a bad transfer rate at the moment, you may want to buy some just in case. We have been there with anything from 1.4 up to nearly 2 $ to the £, so the 1.7ish is good.

Max4 lessons are more guiding with some helpful hints, than actual lessons. Though they are good value as lessons go. All the instructors in Whistler are employed by the Mountain (monopoly) then rented out to Yes or Alltracks.

You could always do some Max4 at the level you want (4 will do some off piste, 5 will do a lot, 6 will be mostly on double diamond and bowls) and then do a few days "crazy" with https://extremelycanadian.com at the end. There is also free guiding each day from locals - just meet at the light board. Also SkiGB have a guide out there that will also be doing some off-piste guiding.

Whistler is a stupid place to try and live, Daughter works there and nearly did not stay this season as she could not find anywhere. Her boss took pity in the end and rented her a room. Hence the prices are potty. Try AlluraDirect.com for long visits as they could be better and cheaper the further out you go from the centre. They are clamping down on AirB&B as most people where not allowed to rent out by the day. There is a good cheap bus system to get you around.

Fancy Sun Peaks my self but have never justify the extra travel hassle. It is over 4 hr by road from Vancouver or a flight and 45mins transfer. So we keep going back to Whistler and love it. Been there for the last 12 years and still have not seen it all.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When we went last Christmas we used https://www.homeaway.co.uk , which seems to have a good selection of apartments for rent for short periods
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="Jake43"]
laurabaker wrote:

Max4 lessons are more guiding with some helpful hints, than actual lessons. Though they are good value as lessons go. All the instructors in Whistler are employed by the Mountain (monopoly) then rented out to Yes or Alltracks.

You could always do some Max4 at the level you want (4 will do some off piste, 5 will do a lot, 6 will be mostly on double diamond and bowls) and then do a few days "crazy" with https://extremelycanadian.com at the end. There is also free guiding each day from locals - just meet at the light board. Also SkiGB have a guide out there that will also be doing some off-piste .

Strong recommendations for max4 from me but I felt it was more lessons than guiding. It was a couple of years ago so maybe changed or just the instructor?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you so much all, very useful info.
Do you think in terms of he teaching quality I would be able to find something as good as Whistler in Sun Peaks or one of the other resorts?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@laurabaker, in general the level of instruction is very good in canada as a whole , I have had nothing but good experiences in whistler , Revelstoke , Quebec , lake Louise , in a range of lessons / guiding from beginner right through to adv/expert , and maybe have found the best instruction in the smaller resorts
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laurabaker wrote:
Thank you so much all, very useful info.
Do you think in terms of he teaching quality I would be able to find something as good as Whistler in Sun Peaks or one of the other resorts?

All instructors in Canada go through the same system so hence are all similar teaching. Obviously you will get different personalities.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you all for your helpful info.
Ok so we're now thinking of a combination of either of the following :

Option A : Whistler & Sun Peaks trip
Option B : Sun Peaks & a less crowded/cheaper resort e.g. Silver Star / Revelstoke

Which would you choose for a 3 week trip, and if option B, which less crowded resort would you pair with Sun Peaks?
ski holidays
@laurabaker, what is your level of skiing , and what is your preferred terrain to ski , its just that some of the smaller interior BC resorts are more suited to more advanced skiers , 3 weeks is a good amount of time to get around and see some good stuff Toofy Grin

also have you booked your flights yet , as a Vancouver to Calgary road trip taking the the "powder highway" could be an option
ski holidays
Hi,
Thank you, we are intermediate and advanced. Comfortable on blues, reds, and easy blacks.
We have now booked flights and flying in and out of Vancouver.
snow conditions
laurabaker, If I was doing a 3 week trip, of those choices, I'd go Sun Peaks, Silver Star and Revelstoke - all 3 will be relatively quiet and really you don't need too long at any of them.
Did all three the other year on a road trip, as well as others, and spent 2 days at each Toofy Grin
snow report
@laurabaker, agree with the above , but would finish the trip off at whistler , sun peaks is a great place to start off your trip then move on to Revelstoke which has plenty of good value accommodation in town ( a short bus transfer from the slopes ) if there's fresh snow whilst your there its an amazing place to get into the off piste powder , revy has some of the best tree skiing in canada and also has the biggest lift served vertical drop in NA . then by finishing off at whistler you save the biggest and best for the type of skiing you enjoy to last , and you'll be in the grove and should have a great time exploring the whole resort .

there is even three small ski resorts on the mountains just above Vancouver that if you choose to spend a few days in the city provide some amazing views at night

this trip would involve a lot of winter driving so do your research on car hire and the cost , but it does give you the flexibility to stay just outside the main resorts and keep accomadtion costs down
snow report
There are many other small ski resorts internet people don't know about also.

It depends what you want and what you like. If you're good then the issue is where the best snow is: they'll all have snow.
The end of March is fairly late season.
It's about 4 hours from YVR to Kamloops, Sun Peaks is about 30 minutes more.

Sun Peaks and Silver Star have a mix of terrain and don't attract "hard core" types, so there's plenty for the real hard core, and plenty for families too. Relevstoke is a honey pot for the wannabes, not so good for a variety of terrain, and not a lot other than the skiing. It has less "resort" infrastructure than the other two there. In three weeks you could easily bag those and also have the fun of paying $30 a night to park your car in Whistler, which the hard core types have now left having seen the Epic Day people Happy
snow report
Quote:
We are keen to do 2 weeks of lessons - mainly on piste group lessons, but potentially a bit of off piste as well.

Whistler is the only real choice if you want to ski groomed runs. The other places don't have enough groomers to keep you busy for more than a couple of days. Also be aware that in Canada most blacks are never groomed so take that into account when looking at trail maps for potential places.

Rental car and visiting multiple resorts are just going to up the costs.
latest report
Personally I'd definitely be doing a bit of a trip round the resorts. Seeing Canada in winter is a joy.

I've never had a bad lesson there. I think you'll love it whatever you do!
snow report
Thank you everyone for such useful advice you’ve all really helped!
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
.... Whistler is the only real choice if you want to ski groomed runs. The other places don't have enough groomers to keep you busy for more than a couple of days. Also be aware that in Canada most blacks are never groomed so take that into account when looking at trail maps for potential places. ... Rental car and visiting multiple resorts are just going to up the costs.

Mmm. If you assume that the OP really would maintain some aversion to most of the resort, insisting on sticking precisely to the pistes, then that could perhaps be the case. I think in practice once people with European experience grasp how resorts in BC work, that would be completely irrelevant. If you want to stay completely on groomed snow then probably BC is a bad idea in general, because it snows too much. Even in Whistler, they have the evil powder on piste now and then wink

If you're taking lessons then perhaps it doesn't matter that each one of them is on a different piste. I guess that's for the individual to decide. An instructor would certainly not be restricted to groomed snow unless someone really insisted on it (which would be weird).

If you're taking lessons then I'd actually avoid Whistler because it's expensive, it's a busy place where everyone funnels down, and the instructor's "on the clock" from the time you get on the lift at the bottom, and those lifts are big. Personally I think one may perhaps do better from a small resort like Silver Star or Big White. Each to their own, there will not be one fixed answer.
snow report
Quote:

Mmm. If you assume that the OP really would maintain some aversion to most of the resort, insisting on sticking precisely to the pistes, then that could perhaps be the case. I think in practice once people with European experience grasp how resorts in BC work, that would be completely irrelevant

Completely agreez but OP specifically said "mainly on piste group lessons, but potentially a bit of off piste as well". Granted they might not understand the kind of set up/in bounds controlled off piste found in n America and may change their mind once there. It does seems little pointless to go to Canada to ski groomed runs - Europe is much better for that.
latest report
For 3 weeks in Canada, if into lessons, I'd suggest Banff. Good lessons and environment at Lake Louise (possibly worth checking out Norquay given its proximity), and after you've mastered Lake Louise, you can go to Sunshine/Goat's Eye. And in between skiing there are plenty of other things to do, places to walk, hot sulphur springs, etc.

Stay in downtown Banff for the nightlife, or in Banff Springs Hotel if you are well heeled.
snow conditions
Yes Banff is a decent choice providing you don't mind commuting each day from town to the ski hill.
snow report
Dropped you a message
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boarder2020 wrote:
... It does seems little pointless to go to Canada to ski groomed runs - Europe is much better for that.

Yup, agreed.

The Banff Springs is expensive but not great; there's much better value even in fancy stuff around there.
snow conditions
Given three weeks, I would do time at Sun Peaks, Silver Star , Big White and Whistler.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
Yes Banff is a decent choice providing you don't mind commuting each day from town to the ski hill.

Not to mention they are flying in to Vancouver......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy