Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long weekend cross country skiing suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Looking for some help please planning a few days cross country skiing (about four days), with lessons (I want to learn to skate, I've only skied classic). It will need to be somewhere near a major airport and preferably easy to get to with public transport. Ideally I'd like to go to a smaller resort to save money. But it's needs to have a ski school!

I've looked at all the airports in Eastern European countries but I found it difficult to understand whether there was anything suitable due to lack of information on websites. Does anyone know of anywhere near cities in Poland, Hungary, Slovakia etc or do you always have to travel up into mountains? Just struggling to get much info on English websites

I've been to one place outside of Oslo but Norway is too expensive. Not sure about Sweden & Finland but expect they would be similar. Don't know any cross country resorts close to Reykjavik.

I think somewhere in Italy, Austria or France would be easiest to organise but I don't want to have to go to a large ski resort, as I won't be downhill skiing I don't want to pay premium resort prices like Val D or Courmayeur. Anyone know somewhere like Cogne (nordic only resort, ski school & rental, reasonably prices), but easier to get to?

Any help much appreciated - thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just thought of Garmisch - haven't been there before but seems to have good trails and it's easy to get to from Munich. Does anyone have any experience of it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@moseyp, the obvious destination in my region would be Ramsau am Dachstein, less than an hour from Salzburg airport.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Jura is a good option, with very extensive trails. One hour north of Geneva. Les Rousses is biggest resort there. It's not as snow sure as Scandinavia, but is almost certainly cheaper. Ideally book at short notice if the weather/snow cover look OK.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@queenie pretty please, thanks but annoyingly Salzburg (and Innsbruck) only have one flight a week from my airport
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It might mean hiring a car but Les Saisies has the most snow-sure and extensive XC skiing in the area and ski schools who can provide expert tuition.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Julian T, thanks, is it easy to get to without a car?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@moseyp, For France, the Jura as already suggested. Or the Vercors, Le Grand Bornand/La Clusaz, Les Saisies.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rjs, thanks I'll look at those
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, thanks I'll have a look too
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@moseyp,
A car would give you more options in the Jura area, but if you are only there for a long weekend, that shouldn't be an issue since there's a lot of cross country from Les Rousses itself. According to the Les Rousses website, you can easily get a train from Geneva to La Cure on the Swiss/French border, only 3km from Les Rousses so presumably you can do the last bit by cab

[url=]https://www.lesrousses.com/en/useful-info/transport/how-to-get-here/by-train-and-bus.html[/url]
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moseyp, One problem for you with Les Saisies is that it is in Savoie right on the border with Haute Savoie. The public transport options are from the Albertville side rather than from Sallanches.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The public transport options are from the Albertville side rather than from Sallanches.

And not great even from Albertville. Best option is probably bus to Megeve, then cab, if renting a small car is out of the question.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fly to Innsbruck, Austria.

Drive 30mins to Seefeld.

Olympics-level XC.

Can also do biathlon (skiing + shooting).

February is best.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@moseyp, I was also going to suggest our area in Radstadt Ski Amade - but I see you are restricted by your airport to Salzburg. The tracks in our valley are prefect for learning, they are very flat, and our local ski school offers lessons too. I've not yet mastered skating, I've seen plenty of people gliding by, but when I've tried I don't get the same results! Good luck with your search. Ange
snow report
@moseyp, for Sweden, if you can get to Bristol or Gatwick then easyjet do flights to Åre-Ostersund. There are a number of cross country ski areas accessible from the free bus system. I would assume it’s not problem to find instructors up there. But only on Sundays so you’d either need to fly via Stockholm or to Trondheim on the way the way there.

From Stockholm I think the best place within reasonable distance is Högbo Bruk www.hogbobruk.se (an official Vasaloppet training centre), about 1.5 hours north of Stockholm Arlanda airport. Hire car would needed. There is a hotel there, or you can stay in Gävle (Scandic West would be very convienient). You can hire equipment, and an instructor there.
latest report
Fly to Munich and hop on a train to Bayrischzell, Ruhpolding, or Mittenwald. Ski schools will be excellent, atmosphere relaxed, and accommodation reasonable.

Whitegold's suggestion is also good, but Seefeld can be pricey and I personally find the atmosphere too posh. It is just over the boarder from Mittenwald (and thus can be combined) and accessible by the same train from Munich.

Garmisch is fine but the trails in Mittenwald are better (and indeed in Oberammergau). Garmisch has a lit more going on outside of skiing, though.
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, thanks I could fly to Stockholm but is the only way up to Högbo Bruk by car?

@ami in berlin, Munich looks good because the flight times are ideal, but the snow cover poor? The more I look into Garmisch I find reports of very little snow, and I can't find webcams for the nordic areas
snow conditions
Wow lots of snow in Bayrischzell https://www.bayrischzell.de/webcam-bayrischzell
snow conditions
and Ruhpolding http://www.webcam-ruhpolding.com/webcam-und-zeitraffer/langlaufloipe-sichernwiese/

Are these areas east to get to @ami in berlin? Not familiar with Germany
ski holidays
Extremely easy. Bayrischzell is 1h20m from Munich main station. Ruhpolding 1h45m with a change in Traunstein. You can get the subway from Munich airport to main station.

Ruhpolding annually hosts a biathlon WC event and has extensive xc trails. There is no alpine skiing, so xc is clearly the focus.

Bayrischzell is a sleepy, quaint little village also with a large xc trail network. There are a few alpine ski areas around there (hidden gems), but xc definitely does not play second fiddle.

Bayrischzell is where I want to retire. If you end up there, I can give some tips. Ruhpolding I know less well.
snow conditions
.@moseyp, Ruhpolding and Bayrischzell both have train stations in town, so transfers from Munich are easy, especially for the latter (closer, fewer changes). Check www.bahn.de for train times - works not only for Germany but also for most other European countries!
ski holidays
@balso, @ami in berlin, thanks so much, I think one of those two would be perfect. @ami in berlin, if you don't mind I will have some more questions about Bayrischzell for you
ski holidays
@moseyp, no worries, happy to answer.

Bayrischzell is compact (you can walk across the village in 5 minutes), has a handful of shops, a couple bars, a few good places to eat (a couple actually really exceptional), and reasonable accommodation as long as you aren't looking for anything luxurious. The trail network is very well kept and the ski school will be good. Just don't go there expecting a lot of action. You can take the train 10 minutes to Schliersee, which has a bit more going on. But I personally like the quiet atmosphere.

Ruhpolding will be more lively, but also probably a little more expensive.

Both will be great and both currently have a ton of snow (too much, actually). When are you looking to go? There is a chance I'll be down that way in early or mid Feb.
ski holidays
Quote:

Bayrischzell is compact (you can walk across the village in 5 minutes), has a handful of shops, a couple bars, a few good places to eat (a couple actually really exceptional), and reasonable accommodation as long as you aren't looking for anything luxurious. The trail network is very well kept and the ski school will be good.

It sounds lovely.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy