Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden - 3 weeks time.

Poster: A snowHead
Folks,

Even though some of you tried to talk me out of it, my group are going to Solden for the first week in February (don't fret we'll be back in Ischgl for St Patricks Week!)

So...what I need from you knowledgeable folk is ?

Best piste?
Best on-piste restaurant?
Best Apres venue? (Mooserwirt/Kuhstall style)
Best Apres venue? (bit more sedate!)
Best village restaurant?

We're staying in the Edelweiss, right beside the Giggijochbahn...good idea or bad idea??
What's the ski home like?

Any other 'local' advice is most welcome.

Happy New Year Friends.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We were in Obergurgl at the start of December, and I took the bus down the valley to Sölden for a day (free travel with the Ötzel 3-day+ lift pass). Visibility wasn’t great that day, a lot of lifts weren’t running and I had to get back in quick measure to the wife and child.

So, I’m afraid I have nothing to offer you by way of help, other than I had a couple of beers in Marco’s whilst waiting for the bus. Beer was OK, the tunes were good, and the smell from the wurst und pommes Hüt immediately outside was wonderful!

Kuch kuch kuch looked like a fun sort of venue IIRC.

LS
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been there twice, on all pistes. Not extremely challenging but the first time they were perfect for my skills being wide and not congested. 2nd time was just plain fun, late November to get the bus to the glaciers and ski all the way to the Giggijoch gondola.
In the middle of the winter the bus route is closed but go up to Giggijoch and go all the way to the glaciers by skiing, lifts and in the end a gondola.
Nice blues and reds there, and one black piste in that specific area (not a long one) if I remember correctly. Twice we got there only to find a sudden terrible whiteout and bleak weather on our way back.So we entered the ski tunnel to get to the other side only to find ourselves in a sunny surrounding where we spent a couple of hours happily skiing and tanning.
Places we enjoyed eating? You have right there on the spot a Snow Beach, it has nice self service food and perfect Aperol+beers, just avoid the microwaved reheated burgers.It's a nice place to rest and get tanned while you eat.
The Salomon station has a nice coffee bar and lounge at the upper floor with good atmosphere and drinks
All that area was fun https://www.soelden.com/winter/ski-area/glacier-skiing-in-soelden/restaurant-and-ski-rental-at-soeldens-glacier.html
At the high endpoint of the Giggijochbahn there are 2 restaurants and a terrace, we used to end our skiing day and eat there. There is a terrace for the sunny days next to the a la carte restaurant (who isn't cheap in Austrian terms but still cheaper than 3V), a self service on the other side.
You have a wonderful location, next to the gondola, when you'll get there you'll truly enjoy being so close to the pistes.
In the evening we had wonderful local dishes at a small restaurant on the other side of the river - Torggele Stub'n . They smoke at the bar, so ask to sit in the non smoking area. Another nice evening restaurant was the Werkstatt, perfect burgers and BBQ.
We enjoyed skiing in the glaciers area in good sunny days, and from there back to the village through Giggijoch which has perfect warm out pistes for the mornings.
Take the free ski bus for 30 min drive to Hochgurgl in an early morning and spend your time skiing there. If it's snowing heavily, this route might get closed (happened to folks here last year) and you'll get stuck for a night in Obergurgl Hochgurgl area, but it's a rare thing and we enjoyed the 100+ extra kms.
Snowlines ski school have a great guy, Karel, if you'll want an extra tutoring lesson.
Have fun!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-01-19 13:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you intend to visit Obergurgl while you are there you must tell the lift pass office when buying your lift pass. That way it is only a 10 euro excess on your pass.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@drporat, Thank you so much...that's dead helpful.
@lord_seagrave, Tunes you say??....what sort?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, it's included for 3 days and up
https://www.obergurgl.com/winter/ski-area/skipass-prices/winter-rates.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@drporat, Thanks for that information. When I went a few years ago you had to request the extension at the lift office. The clerk didn't even mention it. I thought it was automatically included and was shocked to discover they wanted over 30 euros for the extension.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last time i went you get the pass that covers you for hochgurgle for a day....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obergurgl, Hochgurgl and Solden all included on same pass as of last year. 20 mins on the bus from Solden to Hochgurgl.

Hochgurgl -

I like Piste 28 off the Shemerbahn in Hochgurgl - usually plenty of bits and pieces off to the side of the piste there too.

Piste 33 - the red down to the valley floor is best enjoyed in the morning when it's quieter and not so skied out

There's an extension of the KirchenKarbahn lift now which goes all the way up to the top which has new reds and blues which I'm looking forward to in March.

The black from the Top Mountain star is really a challenging red unless it's icy.

If you go across to the Obergurgl (about 15 mins on the Top Mountain Express) side there's a red itinerary 14 which was good fun even in less than ideal conditions last year.

Other than that loads of cruisey blues in the main
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dazman,

The Edelweiss seems a lovely location skiing-wise, a short stroll to the Giggijochbahn. It also seems far away from the liveliest apres, so you should sleep well. If you'd be closer to Fire & Ice, it could be detrimental to a good night's sleep. You're a bit far away from most restaurants, but Corso has good pizza and it's fairly close to you.

The ski home is somewhat challenging, red and black and sometimes crowded. Still, I enjoyed the ski home, since it has some variety. Some of the bottlenecks can be annoying, though. If you're too knackered for a black at the end of the day, you can ride the Giggijochbahn home.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were there last year, on a poor visibility day we enjoyed the blue runs 8 & 10. Anything on the glacier was also great. As we ere staying in Hochsolden we often did red run 19 as our first run, very nice first thing in the morning.
Favourite mountain restaurants Gampe Thaya and Heidealm
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SkiingDad, If it's anything like Red 1 home in Ischgl, I won't be too worried...I assume you can grab a beer up the mountain and let the carnage die down??

@ol_smokey, That's great stuff, cheers.

@Debbie0312, Duly noted, thanks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kuk kuk is good for apres, they serve some sort of peach schnapps based stuff in egg shells which is good for a laugh. DJ plays the usual euro/ski pop and people dance, take shirts off etc - not the wildest place I've been in but not bad.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are going to Gurgls ( which you should, it's actually quicker to jump on the bus to Hochgurgl than to get to the Glacier)
go on a day when the band is playing in the Nedehutte at Obergurgl, stay for a bit, (couples who dance get a free schnapps), ski or skidoo back to the village and don't miss the last bus home

Edit: that couples (any combo) dancing thing makes it sound tame - that is just occasionally between the rock stuff where most people jump on the tables and dance in their ski boots! Food is pretty good there too.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 12-01-19 0:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Food - pricy meal in Gusto.
Friends had excellent steak in Hubertus.

Kuk kuk has attached schnelli - order at the hatch and then bring your food inside - pepperoni pizza was good.

Chris & co (Irish bar) good for sports (and excellent Guinness) - cracking atmosphere for 6 Nations if that is your thing.
No food, but ask at bar for next door pizzeria menu and food will be brought to your table.
snow conditions
@Scamper, I'm a season ticket holder for Leinster....so it MOST certainly is my thing

Plus if Kuk Kuk is playing yer standard après schlager music fare...that too is MOST certainly our thing.

Cheers, you've been extremely helpful.
snow conditions
dazman wrote:
@drporat, Thank you so much...that's dead helpful.
@lord_seagrave, Tunes you say??....what sort?

Schlager bangers - my 4-year-old is already word-perfect on “Dicke Titten Kartoffelsalat” Cool

Wot a legend.

LS
ski holidays
Moet bar (schafstahl) is fav of ours - part of Black & Orange.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-01-19 23:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The Gig lift is the busier lift, but now upgraded so should be OK. 3 main areas to play on are:

1. Head up to the glacier and the viewing platform. Loads of great skiing.

2. Go over to the Gais lift side. Tick off the James Bond experience and enjoy some nice cruising including a stop at the Bubis ht.

3. Stay on the Gig side which is a bit more commercial but still enjoyable.

No worries about getting home. Wherever you ski down you get to the main road which has loads of free buses to get you back to where you started.
ski holidays
Make sure you check out schrimmbar it's the round bar on the main road opposite the night club - it's mental.
ski holidays
dazman wrote:
@Scamper, I'm a season ticket holder for Leinster....so it MOST certainly is my thing

2nd Feb! Aidan, my husband, is plotting his way around Austria based on where he can watch the rugby. We'll likely be in Mike's in Mayrhofen by then!
snow report
Been a few times but not that recently. Best run in my opinion is the run from the top of the Gaislachkogel cable car, down to the middle station. Get up there early on a clear day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy