Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Savoie Prefect warns skiers to take care

Poster: A snowHead
The Haute-Savoie prefect has warned piste skiers to take care, a message echoed by the authorities in the Savoie. He warned of limited snow and frequently icy pistes. The rescue services were stretched to their limit yesterday as they ferried injured skiers, both young and old, to hospital. The small hospital in St Jean de Maurienne had 90 injured skiers through its doors yesterday. Injuries included fractured backs, thighs, open leg fractures, cuts - all due to falls on hard and icy pistes and collisions.

The authorities also warned about off piste conditions, many routes are impractical or dangerous due to ice and there is still a risk of avalanche at high altitude. Backcountry travelers were advised to check out the feasibility of any project with mountain professionals: guides, ski instructors, piste patrol.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, some crazy skiing going here in Serre Che yesterday. Skiing too fast, out of control, and far too crowded. We didn't stay out long and headed back to the safety of the creperie and a walk with the dogs.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
High capacity lifts and hard packed pistes ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Peter S, yes and I think conditions here are probably better than Savoie.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Peter S, more idiots with modern skis skiing way too fast. Also, being idiots. I had some bloke on Sunday watch me approach on a very consistent line, then set off directly into my path at just the right moment to hit me had I not avoided him.

Then on the same run, some other bloke decided to arrive on piste from the off piste above on a blind corner, just about landing on my head.

Idiots.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 1-01-19 16:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have never, not once, seen anyone spoken to about there skiing in France. I have seen it in Italy, and Finland, and even saw three lads get there passes pulled once in Sweden, but nothing, ever in France, where i have been more than anywhere. We just don't go there anymore at busy times. And don't even get me started on the national embaressment that is Varsity week (or any UK Uni ski week). And yet both of those are better than Dutch week in VT.
I reckon there are many parts to this problem, unpatrolled pistes, poor skiing ability and descision making, super quick high capacity lifts, but for me, the biggest factor is the outright in-your-face lack of care or respect for others, and pure bad manners. The Brits are as bad as anyone (except the Dutch).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It has certainly been a bit wild-west on the pistes at times this holiday period.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@thecramps, You should have been with me on OK Orange a couple of weeks ago. Speak, I was very tempted to tear him a new a******* (PS I know you mean officials having a word wink )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sitting here crocked...........

Loads of stories of people getting taken out etc and how crazy it is up on the hill.

So I'm probably off games for a while

All a tad ironic as I've done so much these past six weeks or so and then I t Wat myself walking going airborne and crashing back down to earth after slipping on some ice.

Would have been understandable if it had been 03:00 this morning when walking home rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, Sad Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thecramps wrote:
, super quick high capacity lifts.
This does make me think that if they slowed the lifts down and let the queues build then there would be no incentive to ski down fast just to hang around in a lift queue.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, Bad craic, sorry about that.

@chocksaway, Yup, should have made it clear, I meant piste patrol or such. Does my head in how blatantly badly and aggressively some people ski, and not just the younger ones. I have said before, and nothing has changed my mind, that I would happily pay extra on my lift pass if it meant there was an effective piste patrol with the power to withdraw passes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thecramps, I have seen the police out on the piste in les arcs pulling in dangerous and excessive speed skiers.

It appears that the blue pistes are the worst, whereas the blacks are an oasis of calm. Moguls make very effective speed bumps
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thecramps, I dont think the brits or Dutch have any sort on monopoly on stupid skiing, plenty of others doing similar things in the Austrian resorts, where it would be mainly Germans or Austrians. I suspect it is often local younger males with an over inflated opinion of their own ability. That said there was a case a few years back of the first minister of one of the German states who was involved in a serious (possibly fatal cant remember exactly) accident caused by him skiing too fast for the conditions and colliding with another skier, he really should of known better as he was hardly an impetuous youth.

Certain places are unfortunately well known for this sort of behaviour eg the home runs at Ischgl.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely not Brits or Dutch here, or even local young males who have all learned to ski from an early age and although fast are usually safe and in control. More groups of young folks (both French and Italian here) on a once a year New Year ski trip. You can spot them easily, often skiing or boarding in jeans, and a ridiculously garish jacket that looks like the test card.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@thecramps, I dont think the brits or Dutch have any sort on monopoly on stupid skiing, plenty of others doing similar things in the Austrian resorts, where it would be mainly Germans or Austrians. I suspect it is often local younger males with an over inflated opinion of their own ability. That said there was a case a few years back of the first minister of one of the German states who was involved in a serious (possibly fatal cant remember exactly) accident caused by him skiing too fast for the conditions and colliding with another skier, he really should of known better as he was hardly an impetuous youth.

Certain places are unfortunately well known for this sort of behaviour eg the home runs at Ischgl.

Currently in Ischgl and can vouch for the horror fest that is the home run...can’t understand how there aren’t more accidents Sad
snow conditions
I usually reckon the worst culprit is the last skier/border in a group of teenagers. He or she is at the back because they can’t keep up so go hell for leather not to be left behind.
latest report
@chocksaway, wasn't you who then appeared in an online blog ?

English chap let rip at 2 skiers saying they were skiing outside their ability and too fast whilst filming

I will let you find the clip to see who they actually were but lacking ability isn't something you find from most top 10 FIS GS'er
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Definitely not Brits or Dutch here, or even local young males who have all learned to ski from an early age and although fast are usually safe and in control. More groups of young folks (both French and Italian here) on a once a year New Year ski trip. You can spot them easily, often skiing or boarding in jeans, and a ridiculously garish jacket that looks like the test card.

It's the one in jeans with snowblades that's usually the greatest danger.
snow conditions
@frejul, we have a few folks on skibikes about at the moment. Lethal.
ski holidays
[quote="Weathercam"]

All a tad ironic as I've done so much these past six weeks or so and then I t Wat myself walking going airborne and crashing back down to earth after slipping on some ice.

[/quote

bad luck. My mum in law slipped on ice, she'd have been about your age when she did it, and she broke some tiny bone in her wrist and was off for 6 months ! Hopefully it won't be anything like as bad.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 1-01-19 22:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Weathercam, ouchie...what h ave you done to yourself?
latest report
@holidayloverxx, Just (hopefully) badly bruised lower back & upper hip, and a bit of whiplash to the neck (as I landed), though having googled kidney bruising (wish I hadn't) will be keeping an eye on things.

Sleep was not too bad and I can walk ok, been icing etc and I might be lucky in that hopefully will be days rather than weeks.

Just have one daughter out tomorrow and I often seem to crock myself when she comes out rolling eyes

Anyway, no fresh snow on the horizon for the next ten days, here at least.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:

This is my experience too.

Another classic is the experienced Parisian skier and his 'never skied before' girlfriend on a steep red or black, or even off piste. It must only be so he can show her how good he is. It often ends with the wife or girlfriend in tears... or worse, on the body sledge. Far too common a sight.

The body count in Val d'Isere over the last few days was huge.
snow conditions
@bar shaker, yep, seen that too.
snow conditions
My Kids have developed a special sensitivity for the late teen french girl.
Uniform usually all black, skipants, black tight fitting jacket, with the compulsory furry hood.
Frequently seen on roads taking selfies or otherwise engaged on the phone whilst moving.
Rarely found on steep reds, never on blacks, but can multitask (phone and skiing) on cruisy blues until something gets in front of them!!
snow report
Glad that we headed off early, as the ice and New Year was not going to be a restful combination. @thecramps, expressed it really well. General lack of respect from nationalities and age groups across the board. Have had confrontations with the early 20s French male groups, shouted at Dutch, Germans and Brits alike! Saw a few selfish groups this trip led by 'posh' British males with numerous kids in tow, mostly boys, just thrashing about, racing each other, then stopping right in the middle of the bloody piste or jumping in and off, with no thought to other users. In my opinion the young Tarquins needed to be in ski school learning some manners and technique but Pater had obviously decided that his young gun was good enough as he could point downhill and let go. The only hint of moisture I have seen is Thursday 10th... a long way off.
snow conditions
It's frozen on the pistes in 4 Vallées as well. But luckily for us, we seldom encountered those issues here
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bad ski behaviour is by no means limited to any particular region or social group.

Have you ever been to Mammoth or the Tahoe resorts when the flatbiller snowboarders show up? (for those who don't know what a flatbiller is, picture a 23 year old male from southern or central California in oversized hoody, baggy snowboard pants, gold chains, Beats by Dr. Dre headphones and an oversized baseball cap with a flat bill, pulled OVER the ears.) http://www.flatbiller.com/
snow conditions
An amusing rant from a mate on WhatsApp

As if crowds, ski schools stopping in the middle of the slopes, rude Briancon Brats and lunatic snowboarders were not enough, I have just come close to a high speed wipe out with a loose dog on Luc Alphand. In case screaming a good series of English expletives at the top of my voice wasn't enough my follow up in French was Conasse Tu dois controller ton chiant chien. I am giving up for the day and off to check whether my French rhyming slang is grammatically correct. The owner got the message. Anyway dog now on a lead and probably off to poo-poo in poo-poo Alley. Catch up with you later. I will be in a better mood having vented my spleen for the day.
snow report
@thecramps,
Quote:
I have never, not once, seen anyone spoken to about there skiing in France.
Slightly controversial maybe, but that is the way the ESF teach you to ski! I once spent a week in an ESF lead group charging at ridiculous speed down crowded pistes in Val D'Isere. To the point where in the end my wife and I decided to opt out and ski on our own. This was supposed to be the Club Med 'Competition' group which usually goes off piste and stays off piste, but this time our man Danny decided to show us how to pass the French Speed Test on a crowded slope rolling eyes
I should add that my other three experiences with the guides in CM at Val D'Isere were brilliant, but this guy was just nuts!
ski holidays
That trip to Japan I was thinking about sounds more appealing now.....no shortage of snow there!
latest report
Seems to be the same all over the place. The number of people I see skiing either out of their ability or too facts for the slope/conditions is ridiculous. Would help if more people were aware of the piste rules. When I mention them in a lesson with skiers/boarders who are far from being first timers, I get far to many blank expressions in response. Had to bite my tongue big time at the end of last season when I overheard a parent tell his little kid "don't worry, the people in front will get out of your way" at the top of a drag lift that the kid had been straight lining down with little to no control...
snow report
@Weathercam, we decided not to head for Chantemerle this morning, sounds like a good call, although we went for a walk to Le Casset this afternoon, and I am now crocked too having fallen onto my shoulder. Currently icing before deciding if I need the docs, or jus whisky and ibuprofen.
latest report
@Hells Bells, oh no! Hope you're OK.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, noooooo Shocked take some of that paracetamol Very Happy
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, oh jees crazy, what a git!

I dropped OH off a couple of km up from Le Casset so she could run back with the dogs with the wind behind her and she said how lethal it was out on the walking trails.
latest report
@Weathercam, yep. Especially the exposed bits just as you walk back out of the village. I think I'll live though. Ice, NSAID and a glass of wine have helped. Just a bit sore. I've got reasonable movement in it, so I don't think there's any nasty damage.
snow report
@Hells Bells, hope that you are not too stiff in the morning
ski holidays
Going to Montgenevre mid February and really hoping conditions are ok there then as I’m not the most confident of skiers.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 4-01-19 17:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy