Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trying to catch up (off pisty type queries)...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mr G and I would really like to get more into UK 'touring' and general non-groomed to 'backcountry' terrain. He doesn't ski, but is a very competent boarder. I (coming from skiing) am past the falling over stage on a board (mostly rolling eyes ) but am not anything more than nervous red run very iffy... (And also not a spring chicken Sad ).
We need to get instruction on all kinds of technical and safety aspects, but can't find any courses, clinics or the like which can take a skier and a boarder together (and of course he can't ascend on skis as I could), so it seems as if I must get better darn quick on a board.
Question, therefore: how good do I have to be to be able to do this kind of course or training?
Second question: recommend any instructors, guides or courses (UK preferably to start, or a few days in Europe).
Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get him a splitboard?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Grizzler, backcountry.scot in Aviemore or Sick and Wrong in Keswick will be able to hire Mr G a Splitboard. That way, You can stick to Skiing and Mr G can stick to the Snowboarding and will be able to ascend as You can on skis. If you are both competent in your chosen mode of sliding then that's good enough to get started.

With regard to instructors/Guides and Courses, G2 Outdoor at the Alvie Estate on the OLD A9 between Kingussie and Aviemore do Introduction to Ski Touring and Splitboarding courses. Blair Aitken and Gavin Carruthers also run a variety of courses including Intro to Ski Touring (Splitboarders welcome), check out british-backcountry.com. Blair also has some touring skis/kit that he can hire you, but no splitboard gear as of yet. For Mr G, there's also the Upbattle Splitboard Weekend going on up at Cairngorm on the weekend of March 16th/17th where he'll be able to demo/test some kit, and soak up some info/tips.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best thing to do is get off piste in resort first. I think it's actually easier to ride off piste than on to be fair. Have a day riding off the groomers and you will see what I mean.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@KernowRed, yes, the little that I've done in Scotland and in Lapland was much easier (and hurt less when you hit it).

@Backcountryboarder, split boarding does seem to be a good option. I might even do it myself as I don't have a ski touring set up or boots. Don't know anything about it, mind you, but will put that date in the diary and may get over to Keswick or up to Aviemore and hire to try it out (do normal board boots work?)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grizzler, normal board boots will work fine while hiring kit and getting used to it. I usually loosen my boots a little for the uphill. If you then decide to get your own Splitboard kit, i'd definitely suggest you get a set of Splitboard specific boots as skinning and kicking steps in your normal boots might see them needing replaced quicker. I've got a pair of Burton Ion's that I use with my solid boards, and now have a pair of Northwave Domain CR's for use when Splitboarding - reinforced toe/heel, vibram soles and toe/heel welts that will take a full or semi auto crampon.

I noticed your similar post on the British Backcountry Facebook page, and definitely suggest paying a visit to Steve at Sick and Wrong in Keswick, he'll be able to run you through how all the kit works. It's a great shop, run by a good bunch of really knowledgeable, enthusiastic people, and full of excellent kit to drool over/spend money on.

I waited ages before getting a Split set up because the tech (mainly bindings) seemed a bit fiddly, didn't fancy having to deal with pins and bolts and stuff on windswept ridges and possibly losing parts, so was quite happy to stick with hiking for turns. Now the technology has evolved to where it is at the moment, no pins or bolts, everything just clips in and locks in place. It's amazing how quick you can transition from skin/climb to ride mode and how solid it feels once in ride mode.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy