Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pila - and other thoughts for a long weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Fancy somewhere different for a long weekend. Had hoped to be able to fly to Innsbruck, but there just aren't any flights (from London), so a cast around Snowheads suggests Pila as being quite doable. Early flight to Turin (dirt cheap), a 1h 20 min cab ride (not so cheap, but return by train which is) and 20 minutes in the gondola and you are there.

There are plenty of self-catering apartments in Pila, but... nowhere coming up to buy anything to eat (breakfast, etc.). And the gondola from Aosta shuts at 5 so that's no good for shopping. And google isn't throwing up that many restaurants. Anybody with some insider knowledge? Thanks.

Is Aosta a better place to stay? We're not looking for wild apres.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And we're looking at 7-10 Feb which is well before UK half term, but what about Italian?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed in an AirBnB apartment in Aosta. Great host, reasonably priced, easy walk to/from the gondola - but we paid to hire a ski locker for the week (room for 2 sets of skis and boots), ate in most nights but plenty of options nearby.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Might find it easier to stay in a hotel in Courmayeur and ski there if you are not renting a car.

Italians don't really do breakfast though you could get a coffee and croissant in a bar in Pila.

Aosta is quite spread out but there is a supermarket right next to the bottom station of the gondola.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@James the Last, stay in Aosta. Great town, lots going on, some great bars and restaurants. Easy to get to and easy to get up the hill in the morning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs wrote:
Might find it easier to stay in a hotel in Courmayeur and ski there if you are not renting a car.

It's half an hour further from Turin, and not on the train. What's the bonus?

Quote:
Italians don't really do breakfast though you could get a coffee and croissant in a bar in Pila.

Indeed, hence the need for shopping!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably the best bet to ski Italy for a long weekend. The other alternative is fly to Treviso.
Hiring a car is by far the cheapest option in Italy at the minute. I reckon you're looking at 30 quid for a weekend
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thursday to Sunday. Turin airport. £25 quid. No brainer. You could do Pila, Courmayeur and Cervinia or Gressoney....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@James the Last, I lived near the Aosta for three years and if you really want to have some fun on the snow you'll find Pila a little limited. I would suggest you look at the Monte Rosa Ski Area instead. More piste, big runs, amazing off-piste and closer to Turin (or Milan Malpensa) Airport. You can find loads of options on AirBnB for short stays, but if Skiing rather than accommodation is your driver, then you could have a comfortable and cheap stay at https://www.alagna.it/en/booking/camping-alagna/ Don't be put off by the camping bit, the "Cottages" are wooden cabin types and quite comfortable for a few days. They also do a BnB option to ease your earlier concerns. Train doesn't go up the valley though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Thursday to Sunday. Turin airport. £25 quid. No brainer

Last season when I was looking at a weekend at La Thuile (flying to Milan) I was surprised by the cheap rental cars. However the road tolls are crazy...something like 80 Euro (from memory) each way unless you go the snail route. Not sure on the cost of the tolls from Turin though. Something to be aware of though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BMG, €27.50 from Turin to Aosta each way.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@James the Last, Should probably have pointed out that Sleazy Jet currently have flights to Salzburg on your dates for £69 Return. Follow the Snow and hit the Ski Amade, it might have stopped by then!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@panaga52, yes, but (1) the flights I think don't really suit skiing returning you rather early on the Sunday as they do whereas Munich on the other hand has great flight options (out early, back late) - but it's not fixing the accommodation issue which is that (2) the accommodation is very expensive.

Thanks for the warning on the road tolls.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@James the Last, Come forward a day and do 6-9 Feb and I might be able to do you a deal in Flachau (min of 3 nights). I have guests coming in on the Saturday so you'd have to be out by 10.00 am.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’d try Champoluc if you could or perhaps La Thuile as there is far more skiing
snow report
James the Last wrote:
rjs wrote:

It's half an hour further from Turin, and not on the train. What's the bonus?

You can walk to the lifts from any of the hotels, Aosta is quite a big town.
Quote:
Quote:

Indeed, hence the need for shopping!

Shop in Aosta first then, The Carrefour (not at the gondola) is open 24/7.
latest report
Quick question re the tolls please, are they equally expensive from Bergamo Airport to Aosta Valley
ski holidays
We use pilaski.co.uk and she sorts the transfer and everything - there were deals going recently. Check her out.

Please do note that whilst Pila is very quiet in the week it does get busy at weekends ! We go Monday-Friday to miss the crowds.
snow report
@dublin2, https://www.autostrade.it/autostrade_en-gis/percorso.do Toll calculator tool.
ski holidays
Jake43 wrote:
Please do note that whilst Pila is very quiet in the week it does get busy at weekends !

Same for Courmayeur and the Monterosa stations.
snow report
panaga52 wrote:
@James the Last, Come forward a day and do 6-9 Feb and I might be able to do you a deal in Flachau (min of 3 nights). I have guests coming in on the Saturday so you'd have to be out by 10.00 am.

Hi panaga52

Not sure that will work with us, as we're trying to be careful of holiday, but that would be kind of you, try me... Wink

We're two of us, quiet and clean and tidy.

Thanks

James
ski holidays
@James the Last, PM sent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy