Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

recommend liners or gloves?

Poster: A snowHead
Currently have Level Fly Gloves.
They get soaked through after a day of boarding & making snow angels, including the liners.
I can cope with wet gloves, but not soggy liners.

So looking for recommendations on either waterproof liners, or new gloves that ideally dont have or need liners as I always find liners a faff around, actually find gloves a faff as well.

I like to take my gloves off a lot. Even if I stop for 2 minutes then the gloves come off.

Ive looked at Arc'teryx Fission & Hestra Army Gore-Tex
But wondering if there is something less bulky as I am not sure if I want to go for another pair of gauntlets.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mr.Egg, arent gauntlets a good idea if boarding? Hestra Army for me always.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know what model they are but Black Diamond mits and liners circa €100 are great along with the already mentioned Hestra, which did not last a season for me, but I was using them every day and twas the stitching where you hold your skis.

And whilst we are on a gloves thread, a big shout out for these as a touring glove and cycling glove and so cheap even if they only last a season, I've only used them for cross country so far and very practical.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek500-fingerless-gloves-blk-id_8396265.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Black Diamond Mercury mitts, very very good!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29 wrote:
Hestra Army for me always.

Current pair on 3rd season. Totally bomber construction.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the Hestra Army Leather Goretex, which I like....they are warm, waterproof and dexterous - and benefit from regular leather conditioning.

They are getting on in years now...and I'll replace them with the Heli Version....but I don't need absolute waterproofness.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KenX wrote:
Black Diamond Mercury mitts, very very good!

+1 for these.

Got my first pair of Black Diamond Mercury Mitts 8 years ago for use on colder days. Still on that first pair and they look good for another couple of seasons yet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use Sealskinz Waterproof gloves come the spring as they are very waterproof and more dexterous than my other gloves. However not suitable for earlier in the season. Admittedly you are probably getting touching the snow more being a snowboarder than a skier. Was the Black Diamond mits and silk liners for me in Tignes last month. I always carry a spare pair in the back pack too although this can be an issue of it is really cold.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been wearing Candy Grind GC Glove for the past couple of seasons. http://cghabitats.com/cg-glove-our-best-snowboard-glove/

On the coldest of days I add a pair of Spray Way or decathlon glove liners.

No complaints, not too bulky, I can do my board bindings and most adjustment without taking them off and I like a full leather glove you can waterproof with nix wax (or other wax) dubbing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went for Hestra's in the end. I did look at Black Diamonds & arcteryx.
Mitts are not an option due to step on bindings release being in an awkward position.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
back to the drawing board
The fit on these Hestras are awful. Easily 3cm to long & 3cm to wide.
I took my measurements as instructed via Hestra website. 25cm circumference & 21cm length

No confidence in their products now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowshepard have a good glove selection at reasonable prices

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Categories/Clothing__Accessories/Clothing_Accessories/Ski_Gloves

you could buy a couple pf pairs and send the one's you don't like back, same with buying multiple sizes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have just brought a pair of Hestra Heli Ski Gloves in a size 8. Fit is snug but appears to be correct with a 1/4 inch free pinch point at the end of each finger. I guess the gloves will stretch slightly with use and bed down.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Griggs, the only Hestra gloves I've ever bought were a tiny bit tight. Unfortunately they didn't stretch and my hands froze. Expensive mistake.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, interesting. I brought them in the sale - not cheap but at least not full price. Bit loathe to go up to a size 9 as I think it would just be too big - what in essence is a fairly bulky ski glove would just become unmanageable when trying to grip ski poles in any kind of controlled way !

Will give them a run out in La Plagne in a weeks time and see how they go. Will take a back up pair of other gloves just in case !!
snow conditions
Griggs wrote:
I have just brought a pair of Hestra Heli Ski Gloves in a size 8. Fit is snug but appears to be correct with a 1/4 inch free pinch point at the end of each finger. I guess the gloves will stretch slightly with use and bed down.

what size are your hands?
These size 10 are at least 2cm to long if factoring in a free pinch point!
snow report
Measured round 2 cm above the thumb it is 8 inches. Recommended to go true to size hence the 8. I have about a cm at the end of each finger pinch point which is about spot on the recommended amount I think.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy