Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with a dog

Poster: A snowHead
This is our pooch: Maisy . I didn't want one but she's growing on me. It's taken three years of pressure for me to finally cave. She basically looks like someone took a shrink ray to a Boxer dog.
She's about a foot tall to her shoulders. She's a rescue dog but doesn't seem to have any behavioral problems. Part Pug, part Jack, part something else.. Terrier perhaps.
What's the crack with taking dogs up the mountain?
For instance would Glencoe allow her on the access chair or is it gonna mean I need to get touring gear and become a gentleman skier?
I take her running and she outpaces and outlasts me so I think she'll be OK with the appropriate coat. But I have zero knowledge on this kind of thing so would really appreciate some input from you top folks.
I realise I'll have to take her size into consideration regards snow depth but maybe she'll even surprise me there.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Were you thinking of taking it up the chair so you could go walking at the top, or were you thinking of having it chase you down the piste? The lattter is frankly a very silly idea for all sorts of reasons, not least having the dog sliced to bits by a ski in the inevitable collision with someone.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@t4tomo, I've seen dogs on the piste in Europe before that haven't been 'sliced to bits'
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not usually allowed on the pistes or chairlifts here, although we have skied with ours in Val Thorens at the end of the day on the piste down to the Cairn bubble from Oxalys, or at least hubby did until there was a problem with them getting on a gondola afterwards. We'd done it several times before. Touring is probably your best option, but make sure that you have a backpack or something you can carry a small dog in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've seen plenty on the pistes too but I'm more thinking of access then taking alternative routes down. It's really UK skiing that I've got in mind. The notion of actual pistes here is somewhat open to interpretation. wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 7-01-19 17:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @Hells Bells, apparently she's happy with a rucksack.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It sounds a lovely idea, and have seen dogs on piste in Austria, but I would be really scared taking a dog of mine into such an environment.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From what I understand , the lift operations aren't happy to let dogs onto the lifts in case there is a rescue. I think there may have been a concern with the rescue staff coming into the gondola cabin through the door/roof and how a dog might react. Safety dogs are trained for harness work (e.g. Heli abseil insert) so would be allowed. Similar concerns for chairlifts. I m talking particularly about my experience in Savoie , France.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There was an incident in Les Gets when someone was touring with the dog-on the descent the dog became tangled in their harness and stuck in deep snow and it was luck other skiers were there to free the dog who couldn’t move. It’s not really worth the risk.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Given the attitude of most French dog owners to clearing up their dogs' mess I have every sympathy with the exclusion of dogs from pistes. wink They explicity prohibit dogs, pedestrians and snow shoers on the XC tracks in Les Saisies, which are accessible without lifts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w,
Living at the coast, people who don't scoop the poop are on my hate list too. The amount of times I get home from a run with stinking crapola in the treads of my trainers! rolling eyes
Think I'll give the Coe a buzz to find out their position on dogs on the access. Seen plenty up there but I'm guessing it's through touring. Which I'm not against, I just don't have the gear.
Once you're up it's pretty much all button lifts so she can just run alongside.

This was a recent post which helped tip the balance regards caving in -
"Last three days they've done 2,266m vertical and 21km"

No(dogs)body was hurt...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=140265
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HotDogger, from the looks of your dog you will not need a backpack as she's quite tall and short-haired, and I very much doubt that you'll be skiing thigh deep powder with her.

Touring is really your only option if you want to ski with your dog, many resorts have trails that are bashed for pedestrians but then you might as well run/walk with them

Down in our part of the world, we're fortunate in that we have other valleys that do not have Alpine skiing but are more focused on XC and snowshoe trails and there can be some gradient.

Today, for instance, we ski toured with the dogs and my daughter for a couple of hours up the Izoard road, a gradient of around 10%, though I think and hour of that was taking photos rolling eyes

As ever the dogs loved it as we skied back down at a fair pace, but nowhere near as good as proper ski touring and a good way of getting my daughter into touring.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 7-01-19 20:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A fantasy of mine is for me and the Mrs to ski an empty slope with the mutts.
It would be so awesome. They would love it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmmmmm I sense a business opportunity Laughing

A little video from today wait till near the end to see the ambush Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/qr7A6a4rYYY
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam,
Nice!
latest report
I can see yours are about the same size but slightly longer hair. Do they ever need coats and what do you tend to take with you as essential supplies for them?
ski holidays
pam w,

Couldn't agree more! We are shocked by the amount of dog5h1t currently in the streets (& other open areas) of Val Thorens.

I think its more prominent as it hasn't snowed for a while - but still... Shocked

Can't help but think they are scruffy bar stewards. Tignes was similar a couple of years ago unfortunately.
snow report
@Bergmeister, @pam w, you should then see what three teams of chiens de traîneaux leave behind !

But this is a thread about us taking our dog's skiing, and most Brits tend to be responsible in such matters.

@HotDogger, one of mine has short hair and her daughter long hair, and long hair gives more problems in certain snow pack conditions, this was pretty extreme!

As for snacks - just the usual, though a bottle of water and a collapsible bowl on longer trips.

This was the video of that day

http://youtube.com/v/M7gqNA5gUS8
ski holidays
Cooooorr. It's getting the juices flowing!
I've got a pair of 90mm Line Prophet lites that I imagine would be good for touring but that still means changing the bindings. And I suppose new boots to suit. Then skins too.
Oh how I hate even the thought of buying new gear! wink
For now I'll have to settle for the Dolomites and skiing with a hundred odd snowheads on the BB. Hey ho.
snow conditions
I dont have a problem people skiing off piste with their pooches, but I wouldn't dream of being on piste or close to one with mine, nor would I expect anyone else to.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy