Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski/TUI air carriage restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Thx OZboy I’m chasing BA on this
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ldj226, good luck and let us know of the outcome.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
second what Ozboy says. Never had an issue with BA with just turning up with ski's (as my only bag). No need to prebook. 23kg is 23kg no matter what shape it is.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never had an issue with BA direct, they just go on weight.

I always go with mates and we do DIY but going with my wife next week and couldn’t beat the price on a Neilson deal to L2A. Just checked and it says 1 set of skis per bag.

Ive also taken 2 sets in my double bag with boots and ski clothes. Was planning on taking my wife’s skis in my bag and only realised looking through this that it wasn’t ‘allowed’.

Assume I’m fine to just rock up, keep allowance under 15kg and tell them it’s just my skis? Or if I’m flying with BA through Neilson, will I check in with British airways check in staff?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BA have confirmed to me that the 23kg bag can only have max dimensions of 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16in) as per their new guidelines. I checked this on their website and it is true Confused www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances#checkedbaggageallowance going to phone up tomorrow see if I someone nicer who can help me. Maybe I am on some special charter flight
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ldj226, I think they are misleading you as the advice is not entirely right, but as always I stand to be corrected. Anything over the dimensons is classed as oversized but there is no charge for this providing it is a) your only bag to check, b) within the oversized baggage threshold and c) does not weigh more than your 23kg allowance. I have just pasted the relevant text from the link you sent (see point 3)... its buried at the bottom of their checked baggage page.

1. You can take more bags than your free checked baggage allowance for an additional fee. You’ll get the best rate if you pay online in advance.
2. You can take overweight bags for an extra charge.
3. You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. If the bag weighs more than your allowance, you will be charged extra at the airport. No bag can weigh more than 32kg. Any items larger than the above dimensions will require shipping as cargo.
4. Find out more about taking sporting equipment and musical instruments.
5. If you are checking in a large piece of baggage, please allow an additional 15 minutes so that the item can be safely and securely handed over to the Baggage staff.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I think they are misleading you as the advice is not entirely right, but as always I stand to be corrected. Anything over the dimensons is classed as oversized but there is no charge for this providing it is a) your only bag to check, b) within the oversized baggage threshold and c) does not weigh more than your 23kg allowance. I have just pasted the relevant text from the link you sent (see point 3)... its buried at the bottom of their checked baggage page.
thanks Ozboy that is good enough for me. I'll screenshot that from their website and take it with me
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thecramps wrote:
@hawkesbaynz, go to ski bartlett and get them quiver killed.

This has to be the way ahead for dealing with baggage restrictions. Other shops will do it too of course, Jon at the Piste Office will do it. If you're brave he even supplies kits so you can DIY. I've had great experiences with both these places.

Also, for BA's one bag rule you need a big bag for skis and gear (Sport Conrad to a good one at a reasonable price). For Lufthansa / Swiss you are better off with a separate ski bag and boot bag as these go free with normal economy fares (but not the very basic fare - that is a nasty catch which caught me last year).

For TOs with really tight rules, all I can say is don't use them. Not very constructive, but I gave up on them many years ago. There are so many good deals with scheduled carriers TOs are just not competitive for me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sah, Couldn’t agree with you more on all points. I’ve been using ten Dakine Low Roller ski bag for many years for this purpose and it’s been bombproof. I take boots and helmet by hand luggage.

I flew Norwegian to Oslo just before Christmas and noticed a couple of ‘cool kids’ taking ski boots bare on board without a bag. Just joined together by the Velcro straps and slung over their shoulder.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Grizzler, ah, sorry, I had misunderstood. Yes, we are two booked with two ski carriages and extra weight bought. Having checked Tui information and crystal information - they are different just to add to the confusion - I made the phone call and all is well. Paying for extra weight just means we'll take an extra bag & most probably put boots in the hold... I don't know but it'll work out.

The rules and restrictions on crystal luggage are bewildering but I do like the 'if your skis don't arrive' arrangements.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kittya, glad it's all OK. Think that's the way I'll do it in future if I go anywhere with TUI or Crystal again: 2 single carriages + extra hold weight and bag. (Bit of a hassle having to hoik around 3 hold bags as well as 2 ski/board bags & 2 rucksacs, though.)
Assuming of course that they don't change the policy again (which is possible to probable).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Val d'Isere with Ski World.
BA charter Gatwick to Grenoble.
Booked 2 x Ski carriage then read the small print, 7 kgs max!
Couldn't get my skis and bag under 7kgs without taking the bindings off.
Phoned Ski World as I thought 7kgs must be a typo in their t&c.
"No it's a charter flight so ski carriage is 7 kgs but maybe you'll get someone friendly on the desk at check-in"
Asked said friendly BA lady at Gatwick ckeck-in and she said max weight is 23kgs for skis.
Don't think they weighed them at Grenoble....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Sailbad the Sinner, Think you experience confirms what we are saying on this thread whereby there is a disconnect betewen what TO operators using BA are trying to charge vs what really happens on the ground. I could be wrong but I can’t see BA changing their checking / bag drop process for a charter flight. Is this just TO money grabbing via extra charges and using boiler plate T&C’s!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ozboy wrote:
@Sailbad the Sinner, Think you experience confirms what we are saying on this thread whereby there is a disconnect betewen what TO operators using BA are trying to charge vs what really happens on the ground. I could be wrong but I can’t see BA changing their checking / bag drop process for a charter flight. Is this just TO money grabbing via extra charges and using boiler plate T&C’s!
100% confirmed thanks for advice OZboy. TO trying to get extra money or in this case lack of knowledge of BA. Just checked in BA to Salzburg via block Nielson booking. TO told Me I couldn’t take skis no space, couldn’t even pay extra. No issues with BA at LGW. 1 ski bag underweight (23kg) as my bag no issues. Happy skier off to Saalbach in 1.5hrs
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Exactly the same. No issues at check in. Double ski bag full of skis and boots. Happy days.
latest report
@Ldj226, good to hear and have a great trip!
latest report
sheffskibod wrote:
IanTr wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:

https://www.crystalski.co.uk/help/flights-flying-info/

" If you're planning to take two sets of skis or two snowboards in one bag, you must purchase two ski carriage extras at £45 each – however, the total weight must not exceed 23kg. You can also pack clothes in the bag, as long as it does not exceed the weight limit."

This is exactly the sort of commercial opportunism that we should ALL challenge. As long as your bag is size compliant and under the weight limit, there can be no logical reason to charge more for two sets of skis than for one. To say that they are a business and can charge what they like is to miss the point; in the end they can only charge what people will pay. The more people who complain about such policies, the better. The companies responsible will soon get the message.

Their single ski carriage has a max weight of 15 kilos...they told me the insurance would only cover one damaged pair (not two pairs) so you can take two pairs at your own risk...

For me , I have a fall line double so two pairs plus salloppettes and coats on the way out (and dirty laundry on the way back) to pack it out works out nicely.

I am coming to the comclusion though that buying my own skis was probably heart over head... I have three trips this year (BB next !) and frankly the pain and cost in transporting them , getting them waxed and edged etc is coming home to roost. I think once worn out I will revert to renting (hi end) which then also gives me the option to change ski to match conditions ...

I’m not taking me own skis on my upcoming trip as much as I love them. For me it has been worth buying them though as they’ve already paid for themselves and living in Australia many of the places I Ski (Oz, NZ and Japan) have very expensive hire with often not great quality. Plus if I can fit skis, boots and clothes in my bag I don’t usually have to pay any extra.

This trip though is to France and Austria via London with various forms of transport and after my last Euro trip I realised it wasn’t worth the hassle. I’m only just over 5 feet tall and hauling a long, heavy bag across the continent just isn’t much fun. Plus, believe it or not ski hire in most European resorts is actually pretty reasonably priced.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
@sah, Couldn’t agree with you more on all points. I’ve been using ten Dakine Low Roller ski bag for many years for this purpose and it’s been bombproof. I take boots and helmet by hand luggage.

I flew Norwegian to Oslo just before Christmas and noticed a couple of ‘cool kids’ taking ski boots bare on board without a bag. Just joined together by the Velcro straps and slung over their shoulder.

Think I’ve got the same bag Very Happy
snow conditions
Still trying to get Crystal to respond to a formal complaint which I made about paying £90 for 2 begrudgingly-allowed ski carriages (for 1 person) at 15kg each, and then only being allowed to put them in 1 bag with total 20kg (or maybe 23?)
Not had a dicky bird back, quel surprise. rolling eyes

Booked via another TO today, Jet2 flight. Never used them before. OK, so said TO, Inghams, is usually more expensive, but with Crystal's new policies (and a few late season deals) they're currently equivalent or actually cheaper prices.
Anyhows, 22kg standard hold luggage (Crystal/TUI 20), 10kg hand luggage (5), ski carriage 22kg for £40 (15 for £45).
Hmmmm... See how it goes, but I'm fast starting to lose any possible customer loyalty... Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy