Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accessing Geneva Airport Swiss side from the French side

Poster: A snowHead
Just a heads up that caught me out last night.

The French are basically stopping you walking back from the French side to the Swiss side unless you have a boarding pass for the same day. I dropped off my hire car last night on the French side and wasn't allowed to walk back to the Swiss side to access my hotel as my boarding pass was for today. There was another English guy in the same situation, all he had on him was a passport.

The only option is a 35 CHF taxi ride!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
V useful @kitenski, thanks. What a pain!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kitenski, I think that is because you have to go airside and back through baggage reclaim to get from France to Switzerland. Would it not have been easier to return the car today?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I think that is because you have to go airside and back through baggage reclaim to get from France to Switzerland

Not normally - though it does vary. I have always held my breath using that "Alice through the Looking Glass" passageway. Not had to show anything at all the last few times.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, if it would have been easier to return it at 630am today I would have done so.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can’t you walk back through the train station ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@alti - dude, can you get to the train station from the French side?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think so - I’ve cycled a bike in from that side and got into the train station. Need to keep at ground level
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, I don’t think so...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/plan-T1-gva.pdf
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could easily cycle, just as you can easily drive - but walking round via the Ferney border crossing would be a schlep. The obvious way is through that "Alice through the looking glass" passageway which does NOT go anywhere near the baggage hall. However, there is another way which does and once - years ago now - we were forced to go that way after dropping three rental cars on the French side - very late for an easyJet flight. It was a nightmare. Passengers included my disabled mother with a walking aid. We ended up having to go through passport control, somehow. I just legged it - ran straight through glass doors marked "no unauthorised exit" (half expecting to be shot in the back) and all the way to the easyJet check in desk at the far end of departures, arriving very out of breath to assure the check in guy that everyone was in the airport, wanted to get on the flight, and would be along "shortly". There were 12 of us and the minutes were ticking away. We did all get on the flight but.... my poor mother didn't get over it for days! I've also had major hassles with guests without Schengen visas, arriving through to the French side (I had arranged French visas) and not being allowed to pick up baggage in international. Then driving back onto the Swiss motorway and out through the Bardonnex border, with fingers crossed that this wouldn't be the one time they insisted on seeing passports.....

Just thinking about it now makes me feel elderly.......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would have thought you could drop the car off and then walk into the station on the ground floor level and then go up a level to the shops in the station.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yes, if the car is dropped off on the Swiss side, @alti - dude. But from the French side it can be more complicated, as was the case when @kitenski did it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@alti - dude, There is no way to walk into the station from the French side that I know of. Easy from the swiss side...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now I think about it it has been quite a few years since I have had to go the bag drop area on the Swiss side. I normally have just hand luggage so go straight through airside. There must be a way since the airport was constructed so that you could fly from France without having to go to Switzerland.

I read somewhere that the border fro Switzerland to France was to be closed overnight. Did that ever happen?
snow conditions
@johnE, yes you can drive to the French side and fly without having to go to Switzerland.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy