Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a new resort for Easter Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Good afternoon everyone,

I am looking to book up for some more Easter skiing this year and am wanting to try a new resort. I am not fussy on where it is but would ideally like it to be easily accessible from Newcaslte, UK.( France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland etc.)

For the past two times I have been to Les Deux Alpes, and the time before that Alpe d'Huez.. which I both loved. I am a fairly competent skier and can ski most runs... however my girlfriend is still fairly new to the game and has only been on one trip so far, so she will be looking to progress onto hard blues/easy reds on our next trip.

The reason why we have been to Les Deux Alpes is because it seems to be one of the cheaper options in the school holidays for Easter skiing... so if anyone could recommend somewhere similarly priced that would be fantastic.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With the Easter holiday being the very end of April (the bank holiday is the 22nd) and many resort shuting at the end of that week I suggest you look high. My suggestion would be simple - Tignes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:
With the Easter holiday being the very end of April (the bank holiday is the 22nd) and many resort shuting at the end of that week I suggest you look high. My suggestion would be simple - Tignes.

Our holidays are starting on the 8th of April for 2 weeks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Montgenevre could be a good bet, and as some of the skiing is in Italy, there is better and cheaper food available too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So not Easter then. Much more will be available. But I still reccomend Tgnes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
So not Easter then.

"Easter" in skiing holiday parlance generally refers the school holidays that lie in approximation to Easter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JGSKI, you'll pay a little more lift pass wise if you go to Paradiski or 3V but the skiing is a bit more extensive. Both are solid options for late season skiing.

But if you can leave it until last minute you will have a much better idea of where the best snow is at.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val T or Tignes.

Easter is late this year - go high or buy a snorkel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the recommendations - will check some prices now. Does anyone know if La Plagne gets decent snow towards the latter part of the season?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Does anyone know if La Plagne gets decent snow towards the latter part of the season?

It can do on the other hand it may not - I've had Easter's skiing there when it's been fresh snow daily, 1 when there was nothing and several where it was typical spring conditions - icy in morning slushly late in day

However parts of it are high enough that there will be skiing available
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JGSKI, yes, La Plagne usually has decent snow then. Plenty skiing higher than 2000m.

Others that spring to mind include Courchevel, Val Thorens, St Anton, Cervinia/Zermatt and Val D’Isere/Tignes. Maybe Ischgl too.

Booking late a good idea if you can.
snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PeakyB wrote:
@JGSKI, yes, La Plagne usually has decent snow then. Plenty skiing higher than 2000m.

Others that spring to mind include Courchevel, Val Thorens, St Anton, Cervinia/Zermatt and Val D’Isere/Tignes. Maybe Ischgl too.

snowHead

How much do the prices fluctuate? My biggest worry is leaving it late, then having to fork out an extra £200 on flights!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, I find that being precise in the meaning of words prevents mistakes being made. If my friends said they were planning an Easter ski trip and asked if I would like to join them (we get good friday, the bank holiday AND the Tuesday off work Very Happy). Then I discovered they had actually gone a couple weeks before I would be a tad annoyed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JGSKI, if you want to book now and fix up everything, including lessons for your GF, then I'd second the recommendation for Tignes. But leaving it till the last minute (which means the previous week or so) is also a sensible suggestion if you can stand the uncertainty and will be looking for a bargain!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
@Layne, I find that being precise in the meaning of words prevents mistakes being made. If my friends said they were planning an Easter ski trip and asked if I would like to join them (we get good friday, the bank holiday AND the Tuesday off work Very Happy). Then I discovered they had actually gone a couple weeks before I would be a tad annoyed.

Sure. TBH I prefer it if dates are stated rather than referring to "early season" or "February" or "Easter" because the precise week/weekend/dates can make a big difference when talking when/where/how to book a skiing holiday. But I do tend to find people refer to Easter for the school holidays.
snow report
JGSKI wrote:
Thanks all for the recommendations - will check some prices now. Does anyone know if La Plagne gets decent snow towards the latter part of the season?

For piste skiing you will be fine.

I was there 9th to 16th April in 2011 and it was really warm to boot but there was plenty of slopes and the link runs all had a good snow cannoned base and stayed open.

Certainly it will fair better than ADH/LDA. La Plagne will also have plenty of slopes for your girlfriend to go at.
ski holidays
JGSKI wrote:
PeakyB wrote:

snowHead

How much do the prices fluctuate? My biggest worry is leaving it late, then having to fork out an extra £200 on flights!

Yeah if you are DIYing flights are an issue. Is that the plan... to DIY?
snow report
Remember, orientation everything. You want north facing in April.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:

Indeed, it seems far more sensible for Easter to refer to the actual period of Easter, rather than whenever your children's school happen to be on their holidays rolling eyes

Book flights to GVA now and then check resorts nearer the time. As above, La Plagne, Tignes, VT etc. will all have snow around 8th April. That could be fresh powder, spring slush or a halfway point of the two but you'll find easily enough to ski.
ski holidays
At Easter I've done Obergurgl which is good if you're relatively new to skiing and doesn't have queues. Cervinia which I loved but is slightly trickier for accommodation. Val Thorens last Easter was brilliant, expensive, not especially pretty but the skiing was fantastic.

As this forum always seems to illustrate there's a fair degree of personal taste in ski resorts. As others have said, go high and expect a bit of spring snow (pack sun cream!)
snow report
We have done Saas Fee last two Easter (first week in April). Snow very good last year and fine the year before, especially up on the glacier which has some lovely runs. The reds aren't too steep and are very wide.

Heading to Norway this Easter (that's school hols) so 6th April for a week.

I figure to high or go north!
latest report
@JGSKI, yes, as @Layne says, benefits of late booking depend whether you’re looking for a package, or a DIY trip, where components booked separately.

Also where you prefer to (or can) realistically fly from.

If you can say your preferences, SnowHeads could give more specific advice.
snowHead
ski holidays
A few Austrian options.

Ischgl is well known for its long season, it is open until the 1st May. It has a fair sized ski area with a good mixture of pistes, perfect for mixed abilities. I am personally not keen on the "village" and it is not the cheapest spot in the alps.

Obertauern similarly is open until the end of April. Given the huge amounts of snow currently burying the village there should still be plenty left at the end of the season. It is not far from Salzburg airport. It is not the biggest place but is mainly blues and reds.

Obergurgl is another high village (the highest parish in Austria), mainly blues and reds though not a particular extensive area but you can ski nearby Sölden (which has two glacier areas) on the same pass.If you can get flights to Innsbruck its not far away but Munich more likely which is a fair way away.

Given the huge snowfalls in many parts of Austria currently there is likely to be snow cover well past the end of the normal ski season (it will take a long time for it all to melt once spring arrives) other higher resorts such as the Arlberg, Zillertal and Serfaus / Fiss might be worth looking at. The Arlberg might not have enough straight forward skiing for you but Serfaus might be worth considering.
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@JGSKI, yes, as @Layne says, benefits of late booking depend whether you’re looking for a package, or a DIY trip, where components booked separately.

snowHead

In the past I have usually booked a package, with either Crystal or Sunweb (who were great as a ski pass was included)! But I don't really mind, whatever works out best whether that may be DIY or package... and I could fly from Newcastle (where I am from) or Manchester/Leeds which aren't to hard to get to.
ski holidays
JGSKI wrote:
PeakyB wrote:

snowHead

In the past I have usually booked a package, with either Crystal or Sunweb (who were great as a ski pass was included)! But I don't really mind, whatever works out best whether that may be DIY or package... and I could fly from Newcastle (where I am from) or Manchester/Leeds which aren't to hard to get to.

In which case I would start looking for deals 7-10 days before you want to go.
snow report
I've skied cervinia during the Easter holidays, it's a great resort but badly affected by wind. It's relatively quiet as well. Any other resorts I might get a last minute package deal from the north of England, flying out around the 7th April?
latest report
Don't forget the Hof.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2124833&highlight=family#2124833
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3181153&highlight=#3181153

Not sure about package availability, but it's in easy reach of Munich or Innsbruck if you want to DIY
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy