Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun or Zell am See

Poster: A snowHead
what is better out of the two in terms of skiing, apres as well as a community feel?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s not really on or t’other as both are on same ski pass. Kaprun is a smallish glacier ski area at close to 3000m with a small village a bus ride down the road, which has limited apres.

Zell is a decent sized town with decent but not wild apres.

In bad weather, poor visibility or when windy etc Kaprun can be virtually unskiable, on a blue bird day it is glorious.

Zell is much more varied and extensive ski area, predominantly red runs, with limited and hence quite crowded blues, some glorious red runs, particularly on the Sonnkogel side and a few nice blacks. If you are comfortable on Reds you’ll love it’s, if not you’ll find it limited and frustrating as half the area is out of bounds.

I would (and have) definately stay in Zell, particularly if you want decent apres, and take the free ski bus upto kaprun for the odd day when the weather is good for a bit of a change.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure why folks go to either when Saalbach is nearby
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty, I went to Hinterglemm for over 30 years, and went to Zell last year for the first time. This year I am returning to...

Zell. (Well, Schmitten). From a purely skiing point of view, of course S-H is (mainly) better, but there are lots of reasons to choose Zell over S-H, such as cost, setting, non-skiing options, or, as in our case, a hotel with a set up that just suits our party's needs. (Although, I personally would prefer if the hotel was in S-H...)

Anyway, back to the topic.

t4tomo does a very good summation. Kaprun does have it's own small ski area with a new gondola this season. This area will be linked by ski lift, but not by piste, to the glacier after this year. At present getting to the glacier is a bit of a faff, with the added annoyance that the first big lift is wasted lift time as you can't ski back down. Hence the link plans.
That said, I found the glacier to be much more fun than expected, with lots of interesting off piste areas to explore, (quickly skied out in powder, but the packed powder left behind can be just as enjoyable). It is not an area for bad weather, though.

Can't comment on Kaprun, which I'm informed is quiet, but Zell's apres is lively rather than boisterous. It definitely feels as much a town as a ski resort.

From what I've seen, Zell would be my choice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kaprun is quite a nice village, lots of good hotels and a couple of bars. I've had one week there and really enjoyed it - skied the glacier and Zell on alternate days and enjoyed the contrast between the two areas. Only issue is that at peak time the buses are very busy, so it pays to get going early in the morning and be on a bus before 9am. This suited me fine, wife wasn't quite so enthusiastic.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kaprun is the only resort I've skied that I wouldn't return to. Zell was very nice, very picturesque. Add in that you can try Kaprun for the day if the weather is clear.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Not sure why folks go to either when Saalbach is nearby

I am also considering Saalbach however accommodation is quite hard to find as I am looking for february. Also been told that Saalbach season ends before and seeing as i’m going out there later, I’d like to make the most of the snow
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all,
Could anyone tell me the recommended travel options from SZG airport to Zell. I arrive 1700 on Sat 26 Jan returning early Fri 01 Feb and will have a checked bag? Any info is as always greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ClanChief wrote:
Hi all,
Could anyone tell me the recommended travel options from SZG airport to Zell. I arrive 1700 on Sat 26 Jan returning early Fri 01 Feb and will have a checked bag? Any info is as always greatly appreciated.

Lots of options, most economic is Post Bus to Zell from the airport or bus into Salzburg & train directly to Zell am See

https://www.salzburg-airport.com/en/flights-arrival/arrival-to-the-airport/public-transportation/

Various private transfer options on a google search.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
robboj wrote:
ClanChief wrote:
Hi all,

Lots of options, most economic is Post Bus to Zell from the airport or bus into Salzburg & train directly to Zell am See

https://www.salzburg-airport.com/en/flights-arrival/arrival-to-the-airport/public-transportation/

Various private transfer options on a google search.

Great I have had a look and now have the reassurance to book - thank you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@lilnads97, Saalbach season ends mid-April. Kaprun/Zell has limited skiing, but you can have the best of both worlds by buying a pass that covers all three resorts (only slightly dearer), thus allowing you to use the glacier until the end of May. It takes 25 minutes to drive from Saalbach to the glacier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We use Postbus 260 direct from Airport or the No.2 bus to Station and then train using Einfach Raus tickets very cheap . With so much snow train is very reliable.

https://www.oebb.at/en/tickets-kundenkarten/schueler-gruppen/einfach-raus-ticket.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did kaprun 3 years running. Loved the family mountain / hill in kaprun itself, very peaceful and beautiful views. Nice food choices too middle and bottom.

Easy bus to Zell. Ok bus to glacier, but as some say not great when windy. Astonishingly beautiful when sun out.

Kaprun has 2 or 3 apres bars at the bottom of the hill which were traditional Austrian and quite loud at the end of the afternoon, and some smaller bars and restaurants.

Would go back again
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kaprun is a great place to live, but for a week’s winter sports holiday in the main season I’d be inclined to choose Zell. It’s appreciably larger, has more apres ski and other attractions such as the ice hockey stadium, rodelbahn, etc. Also, easier to get to Saalbach/Hinterglemm.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Austrian Seagull wrote:
Kaprun is a great place to live, but for a week’s winter sports holiday in the main season I’d be inclined to choose Zell. It’s appreciably larger, has more apres ski and other attractions such as the ice hockey stadium, rodelbahn, etc. Also, easier to get to Saalbach/Hinterglemm.

I would be living in the area until May, therefore you recommend Kaprun over Zell longterm?
latest report
I prefer Zell - I found that in Kaprun I spent most of my time on lifts and not really skiing.
snow report
lilnads97 wrote:
Austrian Seagull wrote:

I would be living in the area until May, therefore you recommend Kaprun over Zell longterm?

My preference for living in Kaprun is that it is quieter and Zell can get particularly crowded in the Summer. All other things being equal, accommodation, etc. I think that Zell might offer you a bit more for that length of stay.
ski holidays
If you are there for a while, Zell makes most sense as you have one ski area on your doorstep, Kaprun glacier in one direction and Saalbach/ hinterglim the other direction on the postbus. Also if you get the Salzburger superski card, then you can also get the train from Zell to other areas up and down the valley, I.e. kitzbuhel St Johann, Brixen for access to Skiwelt area for a bit of change if you are there for several week.
ski holidays
Zell has actually got a very good scgb set up. Two leaders in resort means that lots of away days happen to the surrounding resorts and there is a meet up in an apres ski bar every night with live music where possible. Check out the face book group Ski Club of Great Britain - Zell am See-Kaprun.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy