Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wet sweaty cold feet

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Great inviting subject eh.....

I have been boarding 5 times now (I'm in Tignes right now) and from what I remember I have always had cold toes, I thought it was poor quality rental gear at first and then i had some second hand boots I thought might be leaking, but now I have some nice new shiny DC boots that fit me and I am still getting cold toes. After looking around on the internet it seems due to sweaty feet and I do get sweaty feet after a day riding. I have some Vans smartwool (midweight I think - https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Smartwool_PhD_Slopestyle_Medium_Vans_Merino_Snowboard_Socks_S_Black-(162530) ) 70% Merino wool socks and they seem better than my other socks but I still get cold toes very quickly.

I have tried
spray powder foot antiperspirant from chemist here in Tignes but from what I can read it doesnt contain any aluminium somehting or other which is how most antiperspirants work
anti fungal powder on my feet and in socks
normal roll on antiperspirant

Nothing seems to make any difference, I have read someone who had the same problem saying he swapped to thin lightweight socks and that sorted him out, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can get heated socks. Or heated footbeds - the latter are more common. Should do the trick.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lose weight.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had been thinking about the heated socks, not heard of heated footbeds. I'll look into them.
Will the heat not make my feet sweat even more and end up in a vicious circle of more heat and more sweat?

Lose weight, you calling me fat?!?!? wink Puzzled Does that help with sweaty feet?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dry your liners/boots each day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Liners, boots and the footbed all come apart every night and are well and truly dry by the morning
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stop strapping in your boots & bindings so tight. You could be restricting blood flow.
Thick/elasticated socks can do the same.

Is it possible you suffer from reynaud syndrome?
Restricting blood flow can make your feet cold. Maybe try a short run with normal day to day socks before buying more dpecific ones. Just take your merino ones with you , so you can switch into if you still get cold feet. How are your feet at lunchtime or on yhe lift or when you stop? You need to figure out if its gear related or not.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cold yet sweaty? Pedal Malaria - Pour proper quinine tonic water in your boots, and soak your socks in gin.

Ok more serious. Any pins and needles? Are you using a Cap strap or over-the-foot straps? Are you ratcheting yourself in too tight maybe?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have read about restricting blood flow before, the other day I tried doing the bottom part of my boot very loosely to see if it made any difference but it didnt.
I do do the liner and top part quite tight as I do get a bit of heel lift, I'll try them looser tomorrow and see what happens. I dont get pins and needles in my toes.
I'll try some normal socks as well

Would restricting the blood cause my feet to sweat more or just make them cold? My feet are sweating a lot as the liner is always damp/wet and the inside of the actual boot is damp as well.

As soon as they get cold they stay cold, today they were cold after 1 run. It feels like (not sure if they are but it just feels like they are, but I might just be imagining this) they are sweating as soon as I put my socks on and even more so after putting my boots on

I just read about reynaud syndrome, I dont think i have that as my skin doesnt change colour and I dont get pins and needles when they warm up.
I have lived in Tenerife for 14 years where it is generally warm 18C+ all year round so I'm not sure if this is a factor, but I often get sweaty feet if I wear certain types of flip flops for a few hours
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its over the foot strap, I dont always do that up too tight, but usually do the ankle one tight
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dont forget, boots are not breathable or let moisture out.
If other footwear is affected, then maybe you have some sort of sweaty foot condition rather than it being equipment based. Not sure if wicking moisture socks are an option, but at least try a non wool sock. Even if its just walking around in them you can prob tell if they are different or not
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I take my socks off they are damp but not soaking wet, I would say the liner is wetter than the socks so it appears the socks are wicking the moisture away from my feet pretty well but then there is still too much moisture around. My liners even have air vents around the toe area.

I'll try stuff tomorrow and report back

thanks everyone
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just a quick update, I went across to the cake shop with some thick Bart's socks and my normal boots not snowboard boots was about 60-90s each way and when I got back and took my boots and socks off my feet were a little bit clammy so it looks like my feet start sweating almost instantly

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 6-01-19 10:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like a reaction of some sort. Try antihistamines.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like you're naturally predisposed to sweaty feet. I know I'm predisposed to sweaty-on-the-whole-body, since forever. Body fat doesn't matter - I'd been (not anymore) very slim and did some martial arts, and I sweat much, much more than everyone who're doing the same thing. Now I'm more.. uhm, stocky, and still the same. I notice my feet gets sweaty fast, too, in winter condition. My body being too warm also somewhat contribute to this, and I notice especially when winter camping in my sleeping bag - warm core means warm blood going to all extremities (fingers & toes), and if it's too warm, it'll sweat.

Are you feeling very warm (sweaty) inside your jacket while riding? Maybe by layering and removing layers when riding (and layer up when on lifts), it might help regulate temperature. It has its limits though, so at some point you'll have to compensate with heated socks if the cold toes become unbearable. For me, I compensate by riding/skiing constantly it warms up by itself (while keeping my core warm so my extremities get warm), though this means I get a relatively drenched jackets and socks and boots at the end of the day (good disassembly and airing overnight required) Laughing
snow conditions
My hands get sweaty but that's about it, I wear thermal legs and thermal top then a shell bib and a big jacket but haven't been getting really sweaty anywhere else.
Merino wool inner gloves help my hands from getting too sweaty compared to my other decathlon inners.
For me it just seems to be my extremities that get sweaty
latest report
Could try vapour barrier socks.
that way the moisture doesn't get into the boot linings and prevents it cooling down due to the external environment.
apparently they get used in really cold environments for exactly that reason.
I haven't used mine yet but u get sweaty feet too and when it is really cold I have had ice in the boot linings (-20 or do though)
ski holidays
I'll have a look at those vapour barrier socks thanks

It was an improvement with just a normal sock, the boot felt big obviously but my toes didn't go super cold. We stopped for break after about 3 to 3.5 hours and I took them off, they were sweaty and so was the inside of my liners but at no point were my toes as cold as they have been. I put my merino wool socks on and my feet were cold for the last 2 hours or so, again not as bad as the previous day, when I took them off they were a bit sweaty but not as bad as previous day but I'd had them on for less time.
I also had extra top later on and didn't do boots or bindings up as tight either.
Overall I think my feet still sweat as much but they didn't get as cold. Maybe it's a combination of everything I did our it simply want as cold today but it seems fancy expensive ski socks are worse than cheapo normal socks for me.

Also forgot to say that it probably was colder today than yesterday as the go pro was complaining of SD card error today whereas it didnt before.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy