Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In Praise of Winter Tyres

Poster: A snowHead
ise wrote:
snowbunny, they do, I meant that some non-turbos don't have low ratio. I missed the word "only" before available Embarassed

Very Happy All becomes clear. I believe that 6 speed gearboxes do not have the low ratio option though?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny wrote:
ise wrote:
snowbunny, they do, I meant that some non-turbos don't have low ratio. I missed the word "only" before available Embarassed

Very Happy All becomes clear. I believe that 6 speed gearboxes do not have the low ratio option though?

They don't, it's not what you get 6-speed box for of course Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ise,
Quote:

They don't, it's not what you get 6-speed box for of course

Yours' is for snowploughing the drive Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So what I'm realising from these discussions is that my RWD, kompressor (turbo), low-profile fat summer tyre shod, 6 speed box Merc is not ideal for mountain passes in the snow. Wish I'd have known that before last month's holiday experience.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
was - killed it just before leaving Oz.... Sad

1997.... great car... I miss him Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gotta agree. Winter tires on my quattro performed superbly the last 3 weekends. I think I've done over 100km in conditions like this and this recently with no scares. On the straight road going up hill, the traction is amazing. Naturally going downhill into the corners I never push it, too much of a chicken Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll echo what kuwait ian said about the citreon 2cv. We got snowed in years ago in the scottish borders, lots of nice (at the time) cars in the car park including a few 4x4's. Someone broke there arm and had to be taken to hospital, the only car that could get out of the place was a scabbby old battered 2cv.
I used to put Vredestien(?) tyres on the wifes Nova GTE, got to glenshe and the Lecht in all sorts of bad weather.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
winter tyres make a load of difference i have 2 cars one is a diesel vauxhall corsa with no winter tyres on -just bought it 1 month ago couldnt be bothered to put winter tyres on as no snow so far this winter however my prayers where answered a week ago and grantown on spey is now covered in a foot of snow and the corsa is totaly useless luckily the other car is a bmw 525 tds touring with winter tyres the best car in snow since i had a mini metro , the weight of the car makes a huge difference with plenty of weight at the back i take great pleasure in showing up audi quatros/low profile soft offroaders withmy RWD-the corsa will have winter tyres on next year
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
best car ive ever driven in the snow id lada niva 4x4........almost unstoppable
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sequoiaboard, Yeah, the brakes were really crap rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just add my twopennorth worth - Over half term in Switzerland and France I had an X-trail with 6speed box, 4WD, diff lock ability and winter tyres. Never had a problem and was v. impressed with the comfort, levels of grip and willingness of the car to pull up the mountain with minimal gear changes.

Back home in the snow last weekend, our estate, which has a mild incline from the bottom to the top, had about 2 inches of hard packed snow on all the roads. A guy in a new BMW 5 series was on his mobile complaining that he couldn't get off the estate because he had no grip. Not a problem for my wife or the next door neighbour who both drive Clios and not a problem for me in my 318 coupe. Oh how we laughed especially when said driver was banging on the steering wheel in frustration Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand, Last season in similar conditions my X trail was brilliant! Even on summer tyres Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, Very Happy Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tomf wrote:
..... luckily the other car is a bmw 525 tds touring with winter tyres the best car in snow since i had a mini metro , the weight of the car makes a huge difference with plenty of weight at the back i take great pleasure in showing up audi quatros/low profile soft offroaders withmy RWD

In the dry I'd agree but can't see a RWD BMW being better than Audi Quattro going uphill in winter conditions. Saw a recent report where they tested a selection of 4WD estates in winter conditions. The Audi Quattro, Merc and Skoda 4WD drive systems came out best.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B wrote:
So what I'm realising from these discussions is that my RWD, kompressor (turbo), low-profile fat summer tyre shod, 6 speed box Merc is not ideal for mountain passes in the snow. Wish I'd have known that before last month's holiday experience.

my low profiled, racing slick, extra carlos fandgo wheeled X5 aint gonna be much cop either.. i think on page 175 in the manual it said something about switching off the DSC or AWD or GPS or something but i didnt want to touch any of the buttons in case i accidently switched off the digital compass in the rear view mirror and couldnt get it working again..
i wouldnt take it to the alps anyway.. it would get dirty..
snow report
halfhand,
Quote:

I had an X-trail with 6speed box, 4WD, diff lock ability and winter tyres.

I have an X-Trail Sport, but I can't find the diff lock. Should I take it back to the dealers?
snow report
snowbunny, I think it's the other button on the dashboard next to the 4x4 on or off (I sold mine a year or so ago) Confused
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
JT wrote:
BMW's are supposed to be crap in snow but at least they are predictable

I believe this sentence has 5 extra words, namely:
supposed
to
be
in
snow

It makes more sense without them Laughing
snow report
boredsurfin, I have 3 switches. 2WD/Auto/Lock. 2WD drives the front wheels. AUTO, distribution automatically between front and rear wheels. LOCK, for sandy/snowy conditions, which changes automatically to AUTO under acceleration. I did not realise that it was a differential, I thought it was a small lightweight viscous thingy Very Happy
ski holidays
snowbunny, may have got the precise technical definition awry but basically put it in to lock and let it get down snowy slopes on its own? Still thought it was an ok bit of kit.

BTW not expertt advice so don't sue if it don't work! Smile
latest report
halfhand,
Quote:

BTW not expertt advice so don't sue if it don't work!

Very Happy Differential=big gearbox sized lump underneath Very Happy

My X-Trail performed well in a mix of conditions on the drive to Swizerland this Jan. It's a good compromise between an off-roader and an estate car, and very comfy over long distances. IMV.
latest report
Quote:

I'm currently watching a big Volvo 4x4 (an XC90?) failing to get up the access road from the building I'm in in Les Arcs. It's not too steep, and was cleared of snow just about an hour ago

My little hire car - also with winter tyres - went up & down that access road several times perfectly happily BEFORE they cleared the road of snow Smile.
I'm sure that my BMW (with winter tyres) would have performed equally well had it not been impaired by a lack of working gearbox rolling eyes
I'm a total convert to winter tyres . . .
latest report
Most BMW's are rear wheel drive. Their weight is very well balanced between front and rear (ca 50/50). In the dry they are generally some of the best handling cars in their class. In winter conditions however a front wheel drive car with most of it's weight over the driving wheels will perform better. Even the best 4WD systems for winter conditions tend to drive most of the power to the front wheels until they start to slip. Light cars with skinny (winter) tyres also tend to perform better than other cars on winter roads.
snow conditions
As far as I know it was the 5 door non turbo Subaru that had the low ratio option, for some reason, not the 4 door.

I've got a 1993 5 door Impreza 1.8 GL, it has lo/hi ratio lever and a "hill hold" clutch. It is also for sale! Very Happy
latest report
My x-trail was BRILLIANT in the snow over Christmas and New Year in Serre Chevalier. The snow was so deep on New |Years day that many others were digging their cars out of ditches. We never evan had to think sbout putting the snow chains on. We had a hired Hyundai (Tucsan?), from Geneva earlier in the month, with Winter tyres. OK, but nowhere near as good as the X-trail.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy