Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In Praise of Winter Tyres

Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently watching a big Volvo 4x4 (an XC90?) failing to get up the access road from the building I'm in in Les Arcs. It's not too steep, and was cleared of snow just about an hour ago, but despite this the car is slipping sideways as the tyres fail to get any grip in the snow. Yesterday, in similar conditons the hire car I'm driving had no problem whatsoever in getting up the same little bit of road. The hire car I have this time is a Smart car (the four door version), so not really renowned for it's abilities in difficult driving conditions! The difference is that my hire car is shod with winter tyres, and I'm sure the Volvo has regular tyres. The difference in traction between the two types of tyre is obvious. If I needed confirmation that winter tyres are essential kit for driving to ski stations, I guess this comparision between a Volvo XC90 and a Smart ForFour is it!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 4-03-06 6:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rolling eyes And 'standard' vehicles without winter tyres stand even less chance. Just like yesterday, when I had to stop for a big RWD Merc negotiating something like a 3° incline to the Bourg SM funicular (bottom station) virtually sideways on, with wheels spinning away, almost no grip.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know I know my RWD (small!) Mercedes was absolutely hopeless this year even with snow chains on the back, it might have had some chance with a second set on the front I suppose. Winter tyres aren't really economical though unless you are resident or a very regular visitor.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can only agree that winter tyres are very good for resort conditions, perhaps out performing chains. The cars I have been in
recently have been a revelation.
There must be an unoffical changeover day in the alpes...!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The smart (I think it is a Colt in wolves clothing) is not too bad on snow. The little smart with its micro wheels is better. Also remember that many 4x4 are bought by people who can't drive very well (they wouldn't by a useless gas guzzling 4x4 otherwise would they?). I disagree with Pete, your average small car is better than your average 4x4 shod with city tires because it carries less weight and has greater ground pressure. That's why the 4x4 Panda is better than other 4x4s in snow.

I've driven a rwd 525 in deep snow with chains, no problem. I'm not the best winter driver in the world (despite spending 6-8 months of the year driving in snow) but many people use far too much acceleration when it is not needed and have a habit of stopping directly over ice!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, Puzzled - I only said that a RWD without winter tyres is worse than a 4WD ?? At least, that's what I meant anyway! It depends greatly of the type of snow. This was wet slippy stuff - the driver wasn't doing anything especially wrong - he tried low revs, high revs, the lot. No traction whatever he did.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, That's probably the difference. I spend 6 - 8 days a year maximum driving in snow and am probably the worst at it in the world. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can only agree with the foregoing posts! My 4 wheel drive car with intelligent 4 wheel drive control cannot cope with snow and the 'system' does not inderstand chains! Put a set of winter tyres on it and I can drive across ice without the car behaving differently. My mamouth 4 hour drive around the Lyon bypass in thick and falling snow last month was relatively stress free because my car never slid came out of line or lost control at all.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I once drove over the Julier to St.Moritz in a VW Golf with summer tyres in a snowstorm. Ok I know it's not the most clever thing to do, but it wasn't my car and my GF had assured me that they were winter tyres and I didn't bother checking Embarassed It involved a lot of cursing and sliding around, but if you've ever been over the Julier you really have to be amazed that I made it at all. Ever since then I've driven a Golf in the mountains. Never had to use chains, even under the worst conceivable conditions. But I definitely do use winter tyres, and yes they do make a huge difference!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, Out of interest what have you got? I was thinking about a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV when I change. But I think they both have "intelligent" 4WD also.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BMW's are supposed to be crap in snow but at least they are predictable
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Lawrie wrote:
I once drove over the Julier to St.Moritz!

Julier pass is a good run, I remember doing it in my Peugeot 405 2.0 GT - only had winter tyres on the front which caused some interesting sliding on corners which impressed the bird I was with... not.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a lot of it has to do with tyre width (normal tyres) which float on the snow compact it under and then sit there spinning, a smaller car with narrower tyres cuts through the snow and gains grip of the harder service under neat.

I too use to drive a golf & a 205 in poor conditions back when the UK use to have real snow storms and both were excellent, I use to get by bigger cars on the hills no problem.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B wrote:
boredsurfin, Out of interest what have you got? I was thinking about a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV when I change. But I think they both have "intelligent" 4WD also.

See lots of folk round here with Honda CRVs... they seem to be pretty awful in the snow but it may just be the drivers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, Thanks, bet many of them are right hand drive.
snow report
I have a Merc (RWD) which is absolutely uselsss in the slightest bit of snow. I am taking over to our place in Samoens in April - hopefully the fantastic snow conditions will be confined to the mountains above Samoens by that time of year!
snow report
Colin B wrote:
davidof, Thanks, bet many of them are right hand drive.

Not at all, local folk but probably valleylubbers. The RAV looks more serious but maybe it is just looks I have no experience. My neighbour has a Suzuki 4x4 and promised to show me just how good it is - and he got stuck on a road I normally driver up with my wife's Panda.

My feeling is you've got to have good tyres on a 4x4 or the extra weight they carry makes them a liability on snow.
snow conditions
Got snowed in in Nethybridge (low lying village near to Aviemore) many years ago (those were the days, my friends.... sorry, that's another thread) and the only thing moving was a Citroen 2CV. Small = light and thin tyres not generating a 'snow-plough' effect are a potent combo. 4WDs on fats are useless by comparison - as Rob says above. And high ground clearance also helped the 2CV.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 4-03-06 9:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I should have expected problems with my Mercedes (RWD coupe, low profile fat tyres) really, after all I did manage to get it stuck in snow on my own drive in Cambridgeshire (max altitude about 2 meters above sea level) a couple of years ago. I've already booked to go back to St Sorlin D'Arves agin next year and will be in the same car but it will be staying in St Jean de Maurienne with us taking the last 10 miles by taxi.
snow conditions
JT wrote:
BMW's are supposed to be crap in snow but at least they are predictable

They are also useless in our gravelled car park!
snow report
Colin B, I have a Jaguar X type. But previously an X-Trail which has a brilliant 4 wheel drive system with the added bonus of being able to set it yourself if you want to, or leave it to make it's own descision.
ski holidays
boredsurfin,

Just don't boot it...!! Laughing
snow report
JT, Which the Jag or the X Tail

If I boot the Jag it frightens the life out of me Laughing
latest report
boredsurfin,

I thought you had the BMW.... great fun as long as you don't take liberties.... but I wouldn't want to caught short in the mountains....
latest report
JT, I stopped driving BM's when the drug dealers moved in wink

and I'am far too young for a Merc wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin,

Agree that a Merc is an old man's car.... I just like cars that do what they say on the tin and do it well..
ski holidays
Not if its a CLK thank you very much - try one....best car I have ever had (except in slippy stuff)
latest report
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
Not if its a CLK ....best car I have ever had

I think you need to try some more stevo wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best car I ever had was a Standard Ensign Deluxe. If I could have it back now I would drive around in nothing else wink. (Except when it snows).
snow conditions
Have an old e class merc estate with a set of summer yres and a set of wintertrac winter tyres. Has got us up to hochgurgl in loads of snow, les karellis in the same conditions. On the way up to hochgugl passed a stuck uk reg merc ml and a stuck BMW x5. Have not needed the chains yet, winter tyres were the best purchase we ever made for it. Why more uk motorists dont use winter tyres i have no idea, they are better in the rain and at temps under 7 degrees.
snow report
Winter tyres are a must they make a huge difference. I normally change over at the end of October at the latest since being caught out in my first year after a early heavy snowfall. My cars not to good in the snow (BM 5 series) so I need all the help I can!
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, Very pleased you said that as thats what I drive Laughing
ski holidays
boredsurfin, JT, I'm neither old nor a man, and I drive a Merc. And I love it NehNeh
snow report
Not all 4x4s are SUVs, you know. And this is not another post in praise of the 4x4 Panda...

Just get a Subaru. Proper (ie unintelligent) AWD. Low range box in the non-turbo versions. Not a truck. A bit thirsty, but then it is a 4x4. No bells and whistles, just a superbly engineered car that does what cars are supposed to do.

Easy Smile
ski holidays
Stevo wrote:
Not all 4x4s are SUVs, you know. And this is not another post in praise of the 4x4 Panda...

Just get a Subaru. Proper (ie unintelligent) AWD. Low range box in the non-turbo versions. Not a truck. A bit thirsty, but then it is a 4x4. No bells and whistles, just a superbly engineered car that does what cars are supposed to do.

Easy Smile

Subarus are just fine but it's not true that low ratio is available in the non-turbo version or that the 4wd is in anyway unintelligent.
latest report
ise,
Quote:

Subarus are just fine but it's not true that low ratio is available in the non-turbo version or that the 4wd is in anyway unintelligent.

Some Forester 5 speeds, and some Legacy 5 speed models have the low ratio option, and AFAIK no Imps Smile
snow report
you can spec a low ratio option on the Audi Allroad i think too
ski holidays
snowbunny, they do, I meant that some non-turbos don't have low ratio. I missed the word "only" before available Embarassed
snow report
Funny - my impreza had low ratio......
snow report
little tiger,
Quote:

Funny - my impreza had low ratio......

How old is it?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy