Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It is just Austria getting all the snow?

Poster: A snowHead
As per title -----is Austria the only place getting any decent snow fall at the moment and/or recently? I know France has had next to none - I'm guessing Italy is the same. Not sure about Switzerland?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No. 80cm in the last two days in BC. I can't remember how much there was before that, but there's so much of the stuff it's hard to plough through the fresh. Oh, and the avalanche risk is what you'd expect.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the Alps: pretty much just Austria, Germany and the very easternmost part of Switzerland. Though I think eastern Europe e.g. Bulgaria have had some good dumps too.

May change next week though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Countries East of Austria getting snow, including Greece http://www.ekathimerini.com/236269/gallery/ekathimerini/in-images/cold-snap-brings-snow-to-much-of-greece
and Turkey https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/2019/01/02/2019s-first-snow-hits-capital-ankara-as-temperatures-drop-further-below-zero-in-turkeys-east
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heavy snow in Canazei tomorrow, which is where I'm going... tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots of snow in Davos, Switzerland; perfect quantities here really, enough for fantastic on and off piste conditions but not enough to cause issues with v high avalanche risk or transport closures.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Heavy snow in Canazei tomorrow, which is where I'm going... tomorrow.
Says who Puzzled Not according to Snow-forecast.com - 10 cm in the next 5 or 6 days, versus 2 metres in Austria: https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Canazei/6day/top

As we're flying to Innsbruck on 13 January, I'm going to cancel our digs (free of charge on Booking.com) amidst the green, green grass of Val di Fassa and am looking at Austrian alternatives - where most places are looking absolutely epic.

Last thing we want to do is drive through metres of fresh snow from Innsbruck to the (relatively) snowless Dolomites. I can hear Jim Bowen now - "Look at what you could've won".... wink

Really do want to try the Dolomites but this is now 2 out of 2 attempts where we will have cancelled. Last time was 2 or 3 years ago, when we decided (last minute again) to forego the white strips through the meadows to ski Aosta powder instead.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Dolomites are the place to go for sunny skies, perfect piste skiing and spectacular scenery. I would not choose it as a destination for powder skiing.

Have fun wherever you end up snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CheersPeter S. All we want for the Dolomites is for it to look like a winter hol at most levels. We're really easily pleased when it comes to skiing and know we'd love the scenery and piste skiing.

If Austria was looking similar we'd stick with our Dolomites booking - but the forecast being what it is, and the Innsbruck flights, are just too tempting.... wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
still a long way to go in the season yet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We’re leaving St Christoph today.

It’s still snowing heavily (-5C in Lech just now, so it’s here to stay), as it has done day and night over the last 8 days bar 3 daytimes. On piste the depths are plentiful, but just a few feet away, even at resort level, there’s metres of the white stuff. The same story in Lech and Zurs.

As with 2017/18, Austria’s have a blinder.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking at the Ski Amade we cams I think the word BLIZZARD seems to sum it up best Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Off to Zermatt in 3 weeks. Could do with some of that snow heading a bit further west.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is our front door this morning with the heavy fall just starting.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you think of the French Alps as the North West Highlands and Austria as the Cairngorms, then the Dolomites are...... Kent. Sunny, sheltered and dry snowHead
latest report
The downside of being in all this Austrian snow - Inghams have just informed us that both Innsbruck and Friedrichshafen are now closed for the day to all flights.

They’re looking at getting us to a German airport at some point.

This happened to us on both flight legs of a Hochgurgl holiday, during the endless blizzard of winter 1999.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
This is our front door this morning with the heavy fall just starting.

That’s incredible. At what altitude?
ski holidays
The in-law's sent a picture of 5cm snow settled on the beach in Preveza, Greece. The north mountains have had snow 2-3 times a week for the past month and a half so if anyone's looking for a cheap last minute trip with great food, head to Greece!
snow report
@Snow&skifan, I believe Scarpa lives at 900m.
snow report
@Thomasski, which resorts in Greece would you recommend?
snow conditions
@hd, I've never actually skied there I'm afraid, whenever we go it's always to see family and friends... None of whom ski. I should do something about that, been meaning to for a while now! There looks to be interesting tour opportunities...
latest report
@Scarpa, Time to buy a small snow blower? snowHead
ski holidays
Well, I drove from Neustift in Stubaital to Munich airport yesterday morning took just over five hours as was snowing heavily all the way. Respect to München Flughafen for keeping open and BA for getting us back as the world was ending elsewhere in Austria. My brother and family spent the week in Seefeld and we skied ensemble on Thursday. They were due to fly back with Crystal from Innsbruck yesterday afternoon, got diverted to Salzburg, missed flight due to Schneekhaos on roads, spent the night on Salzburg airport floor, might get a flight to Manchester this evening, coach to Stansted, then car back to Norfolk! (Last year they spent the evening on a sports hall floor after shambles at Chambery Toofy Grin ).

Certainly lots and lots of snow at Seefeld, Stubai Glacier and Schlick 2000 as skied them in plenty of the fresh stuff last week. Canada in ten days then Kitz for second weekend of Feb. Happy days indeed....
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
CheersPeter S. All we want for the Dolomites is for it to look like a winter hol at most levels. We're really easily pleased when it comes to skiing and know we'd love the scenery and piste skiing.

If Austria was looking similar we'd stick with our Dolomites booking - but the forecast being what it is, and the Innsbruck flights, are just too tempting.... wink

Keeping my fingers crossed, in 2016 the day we arrived in Selva it looked like this from our hotel window, depressing.

Sunday morning it was transformed, zero op opportunity but at least it looked the part.

Everything is now crossed as we head out on the 19th.
snow report
Well here in Montalbert we had snow this morning, at least 0.25mm of it Confused
And yes that bit was snow, though the frost was thicker!
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
The Dolomites are the place to go for sunny skies, perfect piste skiing and spectacular scenery. I would not choose it as a destination for powder skiing.

Have fun wherever you end up snowHead

I must have been born lucky then.

2 for 2 for powder trips to San Martino di Castrozza.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:

The cord just snapped on the big one and it's the older riveted model... needs a strip down which I am not doing in a blizzard. It's not much use though as we are running out of places to put the snow, having to pile it into 2m hiugh walls now, our road is down to single lane and getting narrower.
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

The cord just snapped on the big one and it's the older riveted model... needs a strip down which I am not doing in a blizzard. It's not much use though as we are running out of places to put the snow, having to pile it into 2m hiugh walls now, our road is down to single lane and getting narrower.

Presumably there comes a point when to keep the road open rather than just plough/blow it to the side they'd need to actually truck it somewhere else?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Presumably there comes a point when to keep the road open rather than just plough/blow it to the side they'd need to actually truck it somewhere else?

Preferably to Alleghe snowHead
ski holidays
We skied little local hill in central
Switzerland last Friday and it was lovely even at 1100m
snow report
Snow is routinely trucked out to dumping grounds on the edge of town even in a small place such as Les Saisies - when we were first there I realised that I'd never understood what a big, solid, encumbrance it can be. And what a lot of very expensive plant and manpower is used to deal with normal snow ploughs in a location where significant snowfall is common. It's no wonder that authorities in the UK don't have those resources to hand, when they're only needed once in a blue moon. The first time I had to dig a car out I realised the problem - I either had to dump the snow in front of the neighbouring cars, which would be very unpopular, or carry each shovel-full across the road and dump it on top of the pile pushed up by the snow plough. A major physical effort - no wonder so many people drop dead shovelling snow. It's interesting that the approach in the Dolomites is to blow snow off the roads in huge showers whereas in France it is shoved to the side by ploughs - the plant used is quite different.
latest report
Not much in the way of stuff from the sky in San Pellegrino last week, maybe 1-2cm over one night, or over the few weeks prior

But who cares if they can make it and the roads are still passable which they did and they were.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy