Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

touring/piste boot?

Poster: A snowHead
Is there boots on the market that tick both boxes 90% piste 10% touring, does this exsit? The Nordica strider 120 (same bottom half and flex as my piste boot which was a good fit rite out of the box) has caught my attention. I was eyeing shift bindings quiver killered with my skis but starting to question this and looking at a frame binding with grip walk compatibility.

PS if i do go down a new boot route i will be visiting a proper boot fitter.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@WASHOUT, ive had the strider since march last year , great all-round fit straight out of box for me too , not bad ROM for touring , work really well combined with the shift , had two weeks out in canada before xmas on the shifts and I must say they are really soo much better than any frame binding I've skied ,but would also go well with a marker baron style binding ,
on piste the Nordica boots are very capable and the 120 flex is pretty close to the mark
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WASHOUT, plenty of options for you I think - Tecnica Cochise, K2 Pinnacle, Lange Freetour XT spring to mind if you are looking for an alpine boot with walk mode (+/- tech inserts). Add the Atomic Hawx XTD, Head Nexo if you are after a lighter boot with a little more emphasis on the up. Probably many others too. Really depends on what fits your foot though, just like a normal alpine boot.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Much appreciated, it's good to get direct feedback rather rely on sales patter. I was out in whistler in December, didn't have the best of snow but was still good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@WASHOUT, I got my boots fitted at sure foot in whistler , also tried Salomon qst 120 and the technica Cochise , think the lange and k2 might be a bit narrow if the Nordica is a good fit for you ,
ps. I got lucky with snow arrived just as this never-ending storm cycle began in whistler

good luck with the search snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It of course depends upon your foot shape - but I changed to the Tecnica Zero G Guide Pro last season and I've been very, very pleased with both the downhill performance (I have the Salomon Shift bindings) and the uphill - for largely lift served uplift followed by a couple of hours skinning. I seem to end up about 70% piste and 30% touring. I had Marker Duke frame bindings previously and far prefer the shifts due to lighter weight and a better toe pivot point.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went for the Salomon Quest Max 130, the last is 98mm based on their piste race boot, it's a three buckle and fairly heavy but fine for sub 1000m vert tours (2- 3 hrs uphill) with frame bindings, but skis amazingly off piste and on piste with fatter skis. You can heat the shell and increase width to 104mm if needed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To add to the armchair fit theme, the Nordica is like a bucket on me whereas the Atomic Hawx fits beautifully (v narrow heels/ankles, and high instep). The Hawx skis pretty much like a standard alpine boot, based on 3 days on sketchy man-made. So I reckon if you find one of these more alpine AT boots it'll do your "one boot quiver" job nicely.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Much appreciated, I have been caught out with marketing snake oil from the skiing industry before and wanted to have a 2nd opinion on this. I haven't ruled out frame bindings yet as my current boots are not long broken in and I already see new barons below £180 and I am happy to DIY quiver killer myself use them for a year or two then upgrade when due new boots....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a reason Barons are £180 and that's 'cause they suck versus the latest generation of freeride touring tech bindings - ie, too heavy, greater stack height, lifting the weight of the heel/frame every stride, bitches to click in to (it's a Griffon/Jester heel which runs a lot of forward pressure) etc etc. If you're gonna go with a frame binding then go with an F12 Tour EPF.

And if you're looking to mount the binding on existing skis then you need to consider mounting location clashes as that has more significance on the binding options available to you than antything else.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yup, Kooky has the F12s from spyderjon on her Whitedots, they are definitely lighter than the Guardian/Tracker frames we have on the the all mountain skis. Saying that though, I have been skiing the Trackers on two skis for about 6 years now and although heavy they have been bombproof. But if one breaks I'll be switching to the Salomon Shifts.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 24-01-19 8:54; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I got the Lange free tour and rate them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers for that john. I always thought it was the other way around, stay clear of the f12,s. I always vowed I would not buy another pair of markers (griffon) after switching to vist bindings.
I will check holes before purchase and if any problems I will get them down to you for a 2nd opinon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WASHOUT, i’d get the Stryder 130’s to go with the Shifts if looking for new Freeride boots. Got the K2 Pinnacle 130’s a couple of years back and had them stretched to work but Nordica seems to fit me out of the box.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro - Easily the best touring boot that skis well. 130 super progressive flex, 1350g weight each, 99 last - what’s not to like? Will be adding a pair to my Cochise 130s as soon as they drop down in price a touch...
snow conditions
Technica Cochise are excellent if they suit you. I also hear good things about the Zero G. Lots of options these days though, as mentioned above. Go to a good boot fitter, fit is far more important than brand.
snow conditions
I also have the Lange free tour, from what I understood was that I could use them with alpine bindings as was just starting to get in to Sidecountry... going to Japan very soon etc and advised to bring boots with a walk mode, however after buying noticed a warning sticker on the user guide that “the soles are compatible with alpine bindings but not not in compliance with iso 5355”

In plain English what does that mean.?
snow report
I have some Technica Cochise 130.

Stiff shoes : the 130 are there ! For narrow and thin feet.

I love them although the inner shoe is a bit thin and not very warm.
ski holidays
Dalbello Lupo 130 or 120 are other options. I have the 120 which I am very happy with for most pistes, off piste and day tours driving big skis. I don't particularly value a really stiff boot but I did find I went back to some old alpine boots for the hard piste conditions we had at NY. I might have found the 130 meant I didn't bother.

That said, I don't think any of these type of boots are ideal for big ascent days, hut to hut or ski mountaineering. I actually think a one boot quiver is at least as compromised as a one ski quiver if you are trying to do everything from ski mountaineering to carving slalom turns on hard pistes.
ski holidays
Quote:

I also have the Lange free tour, from what I understood was that I could use them with alpine bindings as was just starting to get in to Sidecountry... going to Japan very soon etc and advised to bring boots with a walk mode, however after buying noticed a warning sticker on the user guide that “the soles are compatible with alpine bindings but not not in compliance with iso 5355”

ISO 5355 requires that heel and toe lugs do not contain tech inserts. What the weaselly sticker means is that the boot will fit into an alpine binding but does not meet the same technical standard as a true alpine boot without tech inserts.

It is not clear to me that the presence of tech inserts actually impede release in any way from an alpine binding but I have chosen only to run my Langes with bindings that are MNC compatible thereby avoiding technical noncompliance with the standards. I am not sure whether that actually achieves anything but on the other hand it cost me nothing to do. Note also that the plastic on the Langes is quite soft and you may get some chew from alpine heelpieces. That said, they ski very, very well.
snow conditions
jedster wrote:

That said, I don't think any of these type of boots are ideal for big ascent days, hut to hut or ski mountaineering. I actually think a one boot quiver is at least as compromised as a one ski quiver if you are trying to do everything from ski mountaineering to carving slalom turns on hard pistes.

No way you can freeride and skimo on one boot. 3 is ideal - Alpine, freeride (with tech inserts), super light for skimo. Get away with 2 if you find a freeride boot that you’re good with in all conditions
latest report
@BobinCH, That's pretty much what I have although it is a lighter tour/freeride boot, an all round freeride/tour boot for short skins up or off piste and a proper race piste boot.
snow report
One step at a time. Freeride/touring boots next!
Cool
snow conditions
Dare I mention a one quiver tech tele boot for all occasions
snow report
I have just sent Lange the same question re the sticker “the soles are compatible with alpine bindings but not not in compliance with iso 5355” as their website Q& A is even more confusing..I may be using rental skis in Japan and swapping from time to time so keen to know exactly what they mean

http://www.lange-boots.com/product/xt-free-130
ski holidays
Roxa RX3?
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
jedster wrote:

No way you can freeride and skimo on one boot. 3 is ideal - Alpine, freeride (with tech inserts), super light for skimo. Get away with 2 if you find a freeride boot that you’re good with in all conditions

two for me , some very good free ride boots out there now , my Nordica striders touring free ride boots (1.4kg ) have a very alpine feel on the down , and my Fischer travers boots (1kg ) work very well in all soft snow conditions , but wouldn't ski them on piste or hard snow by choice except for the final run home
snow report
no-one's mentioned Scarpa Maestrale.... lighter than the Pinnacles, replaceable sole units for full AT compatability if you need it, and a whiff of Chris Davenport to boot!
one thing that on-one really mentions when recommending boots is the skiers weight.... you can be a fly half, or a prop - same foot size and height, but 5stone or more difference in weight - do you _really_ need 130 stiffness.... and is one makes 130 really different to anothers 110....
ymmv!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy