Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For those that fly with boots as hand luggage...

Poster: A snowHead
(Yes, I've searched and read countless posts, so it's not one of those hold luggage vs hand luggage threads again! NehNeh)

Having recently been reading the various threads (above) I came across the briefcase style boot bags. I've not had a problem taking my boots in hold luggage, which I typically do - and typically fly package deal wise (haven't done a DIY holiday yet - hoping 2020 I'll sort that out!), but I usually take a laptop with me. For those that fly, taking their boots in hand luggage - do you take a laptop with you in the same bag? I've been eyeing up that Lange basic duo bag see...

To answer the obviously up coming question, I take it to keep an eye on work (work for myself), and for the odd occasion of a quick browse/streaming/movie session if the weather has been bad (helps with the kids). I've been wondering if I could get away with just an iPad, and think for the majority of use cases I could. Other query I had was for the above folk, do you put your goggles in hold? I have my boots in hold, and helmet/gogs in hand luggage/strapped to my backpack.

TIA!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven’t managed solely with an iPad yet, but I do have a mini sized laptop that has a form-factor very similar to the laptop and put that in my boot bag for travelling. It has to be taken out for xrays, and I take it out before I Board, so there is no danger of it getting knocked around. I did think of using just an iPad and RDPing into a windows VM on a server in my office from which I can hop onto any other system or client system... but I’ve not had the mind to take that chance yet (you’re a long way from home if it doesn’t work out).

As for goggles, I put them inside the helmet, but if that was a no go, I’d put them inside a boot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply..

Yes, that's the issue - my main work machine is a 13 inch surface book, and the hinge design on them means they could be subject to breaking if pressure is put on it (crap design).

How do you keep your goggles in your helmet, or do you put that in hold? I have a rigid case for mine which I think I can get my spare lenses into as well.. Hmm perhaps i'll pick one up and see how they go in together.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frequently travel with boots and laptop in hand luggage, and never had any issues. Mostly fly BA or Swiss.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have my boots and clothes in one main hand luggage, and have never had a problem taking my laptop (15” XPS) with some other bits (megaboom, GoPro etc) in a second bag (my 20L ski pack). If it fits in front of you under the seat then they don't mind. That's with BA, Norwegian, Thomson (tui now), easyJet (admittedly not in a while), small planet.
One tip, make sure that you can squeeze everything temporarily into one hand luggage at a push.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

make sure that you can squeeze everything temporarily into one hand luggage at a push.

For EasyJ that isn't always demanded but they frequently ask for it, cuing grumpy conversations about it all coming back out again.

The main reason for boots in handluggage is to avoid them getting lost. If the bag is taken from you at the gate, at least you can be reasonably sure it's on the correct aircraft!

I invariably board as late as I can and so almost invariably surrender my case. For convenience, I have a lightweight, simple, but smart enough for meetings messenger bag which has my laptop, ipad, Kindle and things I can't do without (medications, wallets) in it. I pack so that it can be slipped into my case if required but the usual situation is arriving at the gate in the queue for tagging and saying, look, I fly so often with you guys I have my own special Easyjet bag and I've already taken all me electronics, etc out of my case (subtext: aren't I smart?)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I take my tablet in a small rucksack that goes under the seat in front. It also hold my passport, wallet, keys, etc.
Never had an issue taking on a 2nd bag. My tablet is a 17" HP Slate I use for media playback.

My boot bag takes my helmet, gloves, boots, socks & did take my goggles (which came with their own hard case) until I replaced the helmet for a visor one.
https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/travel-bags/snowboard-gear-bags/boot-pack-50l/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@markysmoo:

If this is the bag you're talking about . .

. . . I bought one last year.

I wish I'd saved my money.
I found once the boots were in it, there wasn't a lot of room for anything else as the design is too minimal.
Certainly I'm never putting an iPad or laptop in it.
If you do manage to get them in, the first whack will be an expensive one.
So I stuck with a backpack for hand luggage, and yes, the boots would go in that too
The result is I've never flown with it - it's had trips to the fridge, but that's it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fat George, yep that's the bag I was looking at... Thanks for the confirmation I had it in my basket and was browsing at some other random stuff to buy Smile

I've been on package deals with inghams or crystal - so typically flybe or tui. Appreciate the replies though -thanks. The hand luggage restrictions are stingy, but i'll see if I can get my boots + laptop in the same bag this time Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh good point, @Fat George, I have the impression that these "dedicated" luggage are generally crap for general use. Our boots go in standard wheeled cabin cases something like https://www.samsonite.co.uk/uplite-upright-55-20-length-40-cm--black-gold/74756-2693.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mr.Egg,
Quote:

Never had an issue taking on a 2nd bag.

On Easyjet, you will. Not every flight, depends how vigilant/busy/distracted the crew but maybe 50% (depends also on airport): Manchester a pain, Liverpool easy, Geneva generally easy.

That said it amazes me what some people get on board with.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is what I use. Has separate pockets for each boot in a ying-yang sort of layout, plus a variety of sections and pockets for gear. Fully loaded it's a bit too big for hand luggage, but I don't load it up when flying. My favourite bit of ski luggage.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr.Egg wrote:
I take my tablet in a small rucksack that goes under the seat in front. It also hold my passport, wallet, keys, etc.
Never had an issue taking on a 2nd bag. My tablet is a 17" HP Slate I use for media playback.

My boot bag takes my helmet, gloves, boots, socks & did take my goggles (which came with their own hard case) until I replaced the helmet for a visor one.
https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/travel-bags/snowboard-gear-bags/boot-pack-50l/

Even on TUI flights?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, Ooh - that looks handy.. thanks, will have a look at it now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@marksymoo, I've always used a Louis Vuitton 55 Bowling bag. Easily fits my ski boots, 2 Laptop (14 inch, and 11.6), plus a load of other bits and pieces including my ski helmet.
snow report
@skimastaaah, didn't know what that was, so looked it up. Wow.. not really my style Wink I'd also rather buy that bag above and have 700 odd left over to put towards another holiday Neh Neh

Just broke out in a cold sweat at the thought of spending that much money on a bag! Laughing
ski holidays
I use the Dakine Boot Pack which I got from Absolute Snow though I will admit that I haven't taken it on a plane yet as hand luggage. I see the measurements are almost within the restrictions so I assume you could be fine. Just checked the front pocket size and it fits my 13.3" ThinkPad and think you could fit a larger laptop inside though it would obviously require a protective case in either space.
ski holidays
@Jimbob78, Thank you Smile think I'm going to take the plunge on that Salomon go to snow gearbag..

I shall report back, for potential future searches! snowHead
ski holidays
regular carry on sized trolley dolly suitcase style for me. Fits boots no bother, can put laptop in a sleeve or in a smaller bag as personal item. Room for helmet in ski bag or strapped to carry on / clipped to coat if no skis to take.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
....Our boots go in standard wheeled cabin cases.....

+1

Not that I fly a lot but back in November I was flying Aeroflot, Heathrow Moscow and then an internal to Abakan.

We were advised to pack boots and ski gear in hand luggage as main cabin luggage can go missing for a day or two, and whilst skis going AWOL for a day or two was not a issue as they had skis, boots would be more of a problem.

So stuffing boots with sock and other gear, I was able to pack all I needed and more, as I was wearing a lot of other gear, into my hand luggage along with chargers/gadgets etc and still carried a slim laptop bag.
snow report
@Weathercam, standard advice for "exotic" ski trips... e.g. heli anywhere or what you got up to.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Mr.Egg,
Quote:

Never had an issue taking on a 2nd bag.

On Easyjet, you will. Not every flight, depends how vigilant/busy/distracted the crew but maybe 50% (depends also on airport): Manchester a pain, Liverpool easy, Geneva generally easy.

That said it amazes me what some people get on board with.

Flew easyjet earlier this month with no issue.
Not my bootbag, but a well stuffed carryon & laptop rucksack
Had a 3rd bag of duty free on the way back.
I think its because i look prepared & organised I dont get hassled or maybe my gammon head makes me non approachable Skullie Puzzled
snow report
@Mr.Egg, I fly Easyjet 3-4 returns a month. Sometimes you’re lucky, sometimes you need to prove your second bag fits inside your first bag and within their limits.

It gets very expensive if it doesn’t.
snow conditions
I have the SnowKart Kabin Boot Bag, has wheels and can be pulled, also goes into a backpack. Plenty of room, I use the boot liner bags as well. It’s not cheap, but I can also use it for business throughout the year when it’s not ski season. I can’t risk my boots getting lost Colin (CEM@Bicester) isn’t in every resort and he custom fit mine to my very bad feet and ankles!
ski holidays
I use the rossignol backpack type, pictured below - it doesn't show in the photo but does have padded backpack straps - however I didn't see a less attention seeking version when i bought it a few years ago! it's served me very well, comfortable and there is a thin pocket, which is actually for tucking the back straps in should you wish to use it like a laptop style shoulder bag, however i find this pocket perfect for sliding my ipad into. i do have a case which covers both the front and back so never been worried about cracking the screen. I've had no issue taking it on flights as a secondary carry on bag, though i do normally sneak it into the overhead - it would fit under the seat infront, but wouldn't be the most comfortable situation in the world!

snow report
Padster wrote:
I have the SnowKart Kabin Boot Bag, has wheels and can be pulled, also goes into a backpack. Plenty of room, I use the boot liner bags as well. It’s not cheap, but I can also use it for business throughout the year when it’s not ski season. I can’t risk my boots getting lost Colin (CEM@Bicester) isn’t in every resort and he custom fit mine to my very bad feet and ankles!

I looked at the snowkart. I like the understated look but was worried about the 54cm height not being able to squeeze into a 50cm height restriction.
I ordered the Salomon bag, if it’s not what I expect when it arrives I may return it and see what other options are out there.

MountainIdiot - that’s handy to know, cheers!

Thanks again for the replies Smile
snow report
@marksymoo,
Ive never flown TUI

My mate had a snokart boot bag. Lasted 2 trips!

The salomon looks nice.
Worth signing up to their mailing list.
Maybe put a different DoB as I get £10 off offer every Birthday!
snow report
MountainIdiot wrote:
I use the rossignol backpack type, pictured below - it doesn't show in the photo but does have padded backpack straps - however I didn't see a less attention seeking version when i bought it a few years ago! it's served me very well, comfortable and there is a thin pocket, which is actually for tucking the back straps in should you wish to use it like a laptop style shoulder bag, however i find this pocket perfect for sliding my ipad into. i do have a case which covers both the front and back so never been worried about cracking the screen. I've had no issue taking it on flights as a secondary carry on bag, though i do normally sneak it into the overhead - it would fit under the seat infront, but wouldn't be the most comfortable situation in the world!

I use this one too and slide a laptop into the aforementioned strap pocket. The little pocket on front just right for passport etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We use a £9.99 wheeled trolley each as hand luggage. They are the exact size of the maximum permitted dimensions and big enough for our ski boots and lots of other kit.

Spotted them at a garage when filling up with petrol. Very Happy

Have had lots of trips out them so far. Best tenner we've spent! wink
snow conditions
MountainIdiot wrote:

I've just purchased a similar "laptop" style boot bag for our upcoming trip. I have used a boot bag previously that stored the boots side by side, which I always got into the overheads no problems (with BA etc) but this time I'm flying EasyJet first time for a ski trip. We don't like being at the front of the queue or sitting on the plane for ages (as the OH hates flying enough) so are more likely to get our hand luggage taken from us at the gate with the likes of EJ unless if fits under the seat, hence the new purchase.

That way, I know my boots stay with me regardless. And if the worst happens and my luggage goes astray, I at least have my boots (which for me is the most important piece of kit!).
latest report
marksymoo wrote:
@skimastaaah, didn't know what that was, so looked it up. Wow.. not really my style Wink I'd also rather buy that bag above and have 700 odd left over to put towards another holiday Neh Neh

Just broke out in a cold sweat at the thought of spending that much money on a bag! Laughing

Bought this bag in 1985 for £300. It's 34 years old, and used as my flight bag for ski/weekend/summer flights.
Still looks great, a bit of wear/patina to the handles, hard wearing and classic. Looks nothing like a "boot bag", fits any cabin baggage size.
I'll bet it works out better value than the other boot bags in this thread. snowHead
snow report
@Fridge03, surely if you have your boots taken off you as you board the plane there’s no chance of them going to the wrong destination?
latest report
skimastaaah wrote:
marksymoo wrote:

Bought this bag in 1985 for £300. It's 34 years old, and used as my flight bag for ski/weekend/summer flights.
Still looks great, a bit of wear/patina to the handles, hard wearing and classic. Looks nothing like a "boot bag", fits any cabin baggage size.
I'll bet it works out better value than the other boot bags in this thread. snowHead

Ahh, nice I bet it’s still worth a few quid now then! Looking nothing like a bootbag certainly has its advantage to any funny airline that my scoff at boots in hand luggage!
ski holidays
@marksymoo, exactly, no-one looks for ski boots in a Louis Vuitton. Too much class! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
@Fridge03, surely if you have your boots taken off you as you board the plane there’s no chance of them going to the wrong destination?

True, but it's more I don't fancy my boots going into the hold to be thrown about by the ramp/baggage handlers in just their boot bag. Not much protection from overzealous bag maneuvering. I'm probably over thinking it, but having seen some of the videos on social media....
ski holidays
I put my boots (size 43.5) in cabin sized roller case in 69 position and no issues. Also leaves room for a few bits and pieces. Carry laptop (MacBook) in pouch in either front pocket of case (easyJet) or a 20L rucksack which goes under seat (BA/Swiss). Helmet is strapped to one of the above. Goggles normally go on hold luggage in its protective hard case.

EDIT: @Fridge03, I believe luggage that is taken at the gate, inc strollers / buggy’s, goes directly to the plane by hand bypassing the luggage system. It’s juat a matter of finding out when you deplane if the hand luggage is taken to the luggage belt or available at on the ramp.
snow conditions
Reading this thread with interest as we're off to Finland in a couple of weeks with Crystal, so a TUI flight. I usually put my boots in the hold bag but as we'll need more clothing than we would take on our usual March trip to the Dolomites and the allowance is 20kg I might try the carry on option. The problem with that is that TUI have a 5kg allowance and I might be a bit over - anyone had their cabin bag weighed for a TUI flight?
snow report
agw wrote:
Reading this thread with interest as we're off to Finland in a couple of weeks with Crystal, so a TUI flight. I usually put my boots in the hold bag but as we'll need more clothing than we would take on our usual March trip to the Dolomites and the allowance is 20kg I might try the carry on option. The problem with that is that TUI have a 5kg allowance and I might be a bit over - anyone had their cabin bag weighed for a TUI flight?

I've never had my carry on bag weighed on any flight ever. I think some common sense prevails with this. If it fits within the size measurements then this seems to be fine. I would say that if you bag "looked" like it was very heavy. For example needing two hands to lift it, then you may get pulled up.
My boots and other bits normally comes to about 9kg. I've travelled with airlines where the weight limit has been 5,6,7kg with no issues.
snow conditions
@Fridge03, i have had my carry on weighed by different airlines
snow report
I've not had mine weighed before, but I have seen other people have theirs weighed.. Mostly backpacks that appears to be stuffed full of items, and I've seen a briefcase weighed at check in too. Guess it's the luck of the draw/who serves you.

I'd have thought if a person travelling with you is under the 5kg hand luggage allowance, then common sense of pooling this weight across a party would be acceptable, much like their hold luggage. May be worth checking with them? (and hoping you don't get someone having a bad day!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy